1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

FOREVER REPEATING HIGH REV ISSUE, SOLUTION

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Brhille, Sep 15, 2011.

1. Brhille

Brhille New Member

Hey guys, first off, this forum is amazing. No matter your problem you can do a search and find a detailed thread on your issue and at least a half dozen people going through the same thing. My only suggestion would be posting solutions once determined. We have many amazing xj gurus on this site willing to help and make suggestions (I have read them all) but rarely do we learn the final outcome, I think we could find trends on what the newbies like myself are not doing well enough to avoid repeating history.

Obviously I am having this same tempermental issue with my throttle running..

2. doc2029

doc2029 Member

Good idea, but I think for every problem there are many solutions. People suggest what they think the fix might be and it works or doesn't and you either stop or go to the next. Sometimes the solution is a combination of things, it really isn't as cut and dry as say fixing an issue with a PC running Windows...

3. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

A quick search would give you your answer:

Hanging/runaway idle is a sure sign of an out of sync condition; which could be exacerbated by a stuck or mis-adjusted float and/or vacuum leak.

In order to sync the carbs, they have to be religiously clean, their float levels set and verified using fuel, and then they can be bench sync'ed.

Once back on the bike, a running vacuum sync needs to be done; which requires that the VALVES BE IN SPEC first.

That IS the solution; it doesn't take much in the way of a forum search to find it in many many posts.

4. RudieDelRude

RudieDelRude Member

My revving issue turned out to be a vacuum leak, throttle shaft seals. I did a bench sync, tune, carb clean, and adjusted valve clearances before I tried narrowing it down. And after I did the essentials, first thing I checked (vacuum leaks) was the problem.

5. Brhille

Brhille New Member

Thanks man, that is where I am now. I have completed all the essentials I could without breaking the carb rack apart. I will try that next with new seals.

6. TIMEtoRIDE

TIMEtoRIDE Active Member

Our resident brain trust of XJ Wizards and Gurus could easily create an on-site thread that would be our own Service Manual. No plagiarism or copywrite infringements - just a re-write using our combined experience and our own color pictures. As a bonus - links to relevant threads.

No more Childrens or Hainous manuals !!

7. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

We keep trying. If the mods would move the actual photo how-tos that myself and others have done from "FAQ Suggestions" to "FAQ Final" it would be much easier to find the "Service Manual Augmentation" articles that have been done.

8. doc2029

doc2029 Member

Here, here that would be awesome.

9. Ground-Hugger

Ground-Hugger Member

I have found that the pics in at least one of the how-tos have vanished. Perhaps ALL the how-tos and pics could be put in a manner that can be easily down loaded for personal use.

10. doc2029

doc2029 Member

Yeah if someone deletes a photobucket account or whatever, the photos will be gone.

11. RudieDelRude

RudieDelRude Member

Not sure what the server looks like, but when a write up moves over to the final forum, the mod could upload those pics to the actual xjbikes server. As long as the boards are up, the pics will be too.

12. doc2029

doc2029 Member

True then space might be an issue. I am sure this site is mostly coming out of someone's pocket. Though I do plan to donate a few bucks to the site. I used to belong to a forum like this for body building years ago, and if you paid so much a year you got access to paid member only forums and larger avatar and a bigger mailbox and few other small things. Maybe they could do something like that for members willing to pay for a 'membership' with a few little things to encourage people to donate. Other than all the awesome advice they get here for their bikes!