1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Alternator/Battery Up for Heated Jacket and Grips?

Discussion in 'XJ Modifications' started by bradyb, Jan 11, 2012.

1. bradyb

bradyb Member

With my 1980 xj I would like to begin riding as soon as possible. Here in Utah we have a had a fairly mild winter so far. There is barely any valley snow so daytime melt turning into overnight black ice doesn't seem to be an issue.
    Morning temps are around 25-32, a morning ride would be really cold to say the least. Some heated gear would be appreaciated. The bike will be in heated garage so I don't worry too much about starting issues.

Can the stock electrical system handle a few hundred watts of additional draw?

Has anyone hooked up some heated grips or plugged in a heated jacket on their bikes?

How about the headlight? Has anyone upgraded the headlight to a higher watt or possibly an HID? These early mornings are dark and I want to be able to read the road far enough in advance.

2. bradyb

bradyb Member

I also realize that I may be asking too much from my old XJ, maybe I should just go with an external lithium system.

What say ye?
    [​IMG]

3. darkfibre

darkfibre Member

I'm running a 35w HID hi beam along side a 55/60 halogen just fine on a 750 seca.
    I may have got a few amps back by going to a modern dash that uses LEDs not globes too.

4. bradyb

bradyb Member

I definetly want to go with an HID. Any suggestions on the best way to do it? Did you just pull the bulbs out of the guages and swap them out for some LEDs?

5. RangerG

RangerG Member

I run a heated vest with my 550 and have no problems. I did upgrade the sealed beam headlight to a Halogen. I still try to avoid driving at night.

6. darkfibre

darkfibre Member

Koso RX1n dash.

7. reabo

reabo Member

i run a gerbing jacket and oxford heated grips off a standard 1991 xj900 with no problems. although if you are pootling around at 30mph for hours it will drain yer battery.
    have put a 55/60 watt xenon bulb (excellent) in too, but am seriously considering hid.

8. scubaroboto

scubaroboto Member

Thats a hell of a sweet picture you got there with the snow.