1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

My new 82 XJ750R with fairings and tour pack!

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by pickardracing, Nov 8, 2012.

1. pickardracing

pickardracing Member

Well here she is, finally.

Never even knew this bike existed until I saw it in the guy's garage. Fell in love instantly. My first Yamaha, so this will be a learning experience for sure. Bike has sat for 6 years so there's plenty of work to be done!

Best part, price on the bike was a paltry 30 pack of Busch Light.

PICS!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Simply can't get over how absolutely beautiful this thing is. Just stoked to start this restoration. KZ's gonna have to wait a while. :)

First questions:

The bike's sat for 6 years. I have not tried to start it. What do you guys recommend for attempting to get it running again? I'm sure it's not just replacing the battery and start cranking on it.

2. razz1969

razz1969 Active Member

I got a case of 50 year old scotch I trade you for!!!!!

3. fintip

fintip Member

I have a friend that has been looking for exactly that bike for a while now. He finally impulse bought one sans-touring pack, but he's still set on finding the touring pieces.

Too bad you're so attached. Congrats on the deal though, you lucky thief. At least it went to someone who'll appreciate it.

4. zap2504

zap2504 Member

VERY good deal! I wish mine had looked as good and was as complete (and as inexpensive) as yours. But mine was running... :lol:

5. ryancdossey

ryancdossey Member

Very nice!

6. ManBot13

ManBot13 Well-Known Member

That is a truly nice find. You're new to Yamahas, but are you new to motorcycle mechanics?

You'll need a shop manual first. 6 years is long enough "sit" time (plus, low miles mean is likely sat for long periods of time before that and wasn't maintained 100%). So you'll need to go through all of the maintenance section of the manual, including brakes, tires, valve clearances, carb cleaning, etc.

First thing's first, get all of that tour pack off, and leave it off until you go through the whole thing. I know for sure that the whole tail is a b**ch to install (haven't removed it yet) and I'm sure the front isn't roses either, so keep that stuff out of the way until you've got it running well, or you'll get VERY acquainted with it's removal and installation (I'm running into that problem with my turbo seca).

Again, nice low mileage find. Get the 30 years of maintenance that's likely been neglected all caught up, and it'll have PLENTY more miles left in it.

7. pickardracing

pickardracing Member

No, not new to bike mechanics. Have rebuilt several of these old dinosaurs. This is my first Yamaha though, and it's quite dissimilar to the GS and KZ bikes I'm used to.

My plan is exactly as you recommended, strip off the tour pack, then try to get it at least decently running before strip[ping it down completely for a solid resto.

Some progress from today:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Did some reading and then confirmed today that while the touring package is gorgeous and fits spectacularly, that there were some 'concessions' made in the design to get it out to market and that it probably wasn't designed at the same time as the bike itself.

The seat is absolutely impossible to open with the bags on. Makes no sense to even have the key cylinder to pop the seat up, because the seat would normally hinge to the side and the top compartment doesn't allow for the seat to come up, so once that compartment is removed (4 bolts) then the side bag doesn't allow you to open it more than an inch.

Going to have to find a bit different solution to the seat attachment method, I'm not pulling all 3 bags just to change a battery/fuse/air filter.

8. MiGhost

MiGhost Well-Known Member

Lower 48 in general. Otherwise Central Mitten.
    The method to remove the seat with the tour pacakge would be to pull the seat up, and forward once the lock, and hinge replacement wire are released.

I am sure that the non-stock seat does not help much with the removal process.

You can get a PDF of the installation manual for that rear package here.

Ghost

9. rocs82650

rocs82650 Well-Known Member

Pickardracing,

Nice.

Gary

10. pickardracing

pickardracing Member

MiGhost, that would make sense. Problem was that the hinges were wired tight with what was clearly not an OEM solution. I was incensed trying to remove the seat.

Thanks for the link, I appreciate the info!

11. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

Holy crap. The instruments aren't even faded.

VALVE CLEARANCES. The mileage is so low, I doubt they've been checked. If they DID get the initial 3K check, then you're only 5K overdue; if never checked you're right on the edge of the "danger zone."

Nice find; and you're correct about the TourPak-- it came along later when the bike wouldn't pass for a "sport bike" any more, so Yamaha decided to "reinvent" it as a sport-tourer.

Wait until you take a good close look at the front brakes if you think the seat is a hoot.

And be aware of this, common on old Yammies: http://xjbikes.com/Forums/viewtopic/t=15874.html

12. hogfiddles

hogfiddles XJ-Wizard, Host-Central NY Carb Clinic Moderator Premium Member

NIIIIICE!!!!! Glad you're aboard, and also glad you're not new to bikes. Now, you've already found that the Yammy is different, so PLEASE make sure to keep asking before doing. You'll end up with a trophy winner. You've just joined the greatest collective brain on the xj series.

Welcome aboard, we know you'll never leave.

Dave F

13. mwhite74

mwhite74 Member

God,

A party pack eh? I now regret scrolling back up to check to see the price you paid, man i'm gonna be sick...

Why oh why don't deals like this come up in my neck of the woods... ohyeahwelcome :)

Mars

14. a340driver

a340driver Member

Very nice! .. I really like the stitching work on the seat.

15. a340driver

a340driver Member

Very nice! .. I really like the stitching work on the seat.