1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Odd horn fix....

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by OldBikerDude, May 28, 2011.

1. OldBikerDude

OldBikerDude Member

Okay guys this is weird and I can't explain how it worked but it did.....
    My horn would sometimes be real loud and other times be real soft. I thought I would take the time to try and adjust it to see if I could get it loud all the time. Well, what I found was the adjustment screw didn't want to turn at all, however, I hit the horn button when I had a pair of needle nose touching the adjusting screw and it blasted louder than I have ever heard it. I was like, what the crap??? So I hit the horn button without the tool touching and it was soft. Touched the tool just to just the head of the screw and it would blast, every time! Now I made sure that the tool wasn't touching anything else because if it did I could see it making a ground. However since it wasn't touching anything else I couldn't explain how or why it was working. Now I thought to myself, well I can't drive around with a pair of pliers clamped to the thing so I went inside and got a coat hanger, cut off a short piece, shaped it like a u shape and squeezed it on the screw to see if it would work because for some reason if any kind of metal touched even the screw head it would blast your socks off. To my surprise it worked perfectly. Like I said, I can't explain how it is working but it is and it blasts every time I push the horn button. If any of you have a quiet horn you may want to try this just for giggles. I would be curious to hear if it worked or not.

2. zap2504

zap2504 Member

Sounds like your horn is on the hairy edge of adjustment - it doesn't take much. It should have a very small hex-head locking nut on the base of the adjusting screw. Put a flat-blade screwdriver in the adjuster screw and slightly loosten the locking nut while holding the adjusting screw steady. Then the adjuster screw can be adjusted for max sound. Hold adjuster screw steady while tightening locking nut. Done.

3. OldBikerDude

OldBikerDude Member

Oh, I know that but it was kind of rusted in there so it wouldn't turn but that isn't what fixed it it just needed metal touching the adjustment screw.
    Don't know why or how it fixed it but it fixed it so I am good with it. Besides it is blasting up a storm now so I am going to leave well enough alone.

4. pnthubb

pnthubb Member

Ok - I know, Old thread but...
    I've had this bike over 20 years and never knew about the horn adjustment! I just thought my horn was getting old with the wiring. I love XJBikes!

5. a340driver

a340driver Member

I didn't know that either ... and my kids think I know everything!!

6. a340driver

a340driver Member

I didn't know that either ... and my kids think I know everything!!

7. pnthubb

pnthubb Member

So, I tried to adjust my horns and now I get nothing! It was very low volume, but it worked before I fiddled with it.
    Do I need to take them apart and clean 20 years of neglect out of them? Anyone know how they come apart? I'll keep searching the forums...

8. adrian1

adrian1 Active Member

Usually a fine line between a good note and no sound....anyway why not get a small air horn for Christmas? Try aerostitch.com.

9. pnthubb

pnthubb Member

Yo Adrian… I got the right side back up and sounding okay, but the left will not do anything unless I rap it with a screwdriver handle while pressing the button. Then it sounds weak.
    I love the idea of an air horn, but I also prefer the OEM styling - not really sure why.

10. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

OEM "styling" (but smaller, more tasteful) and LOUDER: http://www.ebay.com/itm/180953501736 I have a pair of these on my '83 and they're great.

I got mine directly from Acumen in England but I can't seem to find their site again.

11. pnthubb

pnthubb Member

Well, looks like I will be looking for new ones. Thanks for the suggestions guys.

12. OldBikerDude

OldBikerDude Member

I use the same one Fritz recommended and I really like it.