1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

steering stem bump on each side of straight

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by dcesa1, Jun 26, 2012.

1. dcesa1

dcesa1 Member

My steering seems to be fine other than the 2 little hickups on each side of straight.I dunno if this is something Yamaha did like the innovative YICS or if I need to replace my steering stem bearings? There are no cables binding that would cause this either and it still does it when the front tire is lifted so its not a worn tire but it feels like it.

2. MiGhost

MiGhost Well-Known Member

Lower 48 in general. Otherwise Central Mitten.
    That little hiccup is where the old bearings have worn into the race. It is time to replace those bearings. An upgrade to the tapered roller bearings is advised to permanently put this problem in the past.

Ghost

3. a340driver

a340driver Member

I'm just in the process of installing the roller bearings. After seeing what was in there, I'm convinced this is a must do upgrade.
    The races came out to easily. I used a steel bar, and after reading about how some individuals had trouble getting the race out, I thought I would give it a good "rap". the race popped right out, the bar slid down my fingers and the hammer rapped my thumb. Now, I have to wait a few days for my thumb to heal before I can continue.

4. MiCarl

MiCarl Active Member

Tapered bearings will develop the bump too. My Venture which has tapered bearings from the factory has developed the bump and is getting new ones this winter.

I'm not convinced the tapered bearing is inherently better than the stock ball bearing. It is a lot easier to install though.

5. mtnbikecrazy55

mtnbikecrazy55 Active Member

eh, i think it is better.

It spreads the weight out along a much larger area, thus making it not put so much pressure/wear on such a small contact patch.

just my thoughts.

But yes, replace your steerer bearings, ~40$ to get new tapered bearings from len with all new seals/etc and a nice, easy, step by step instructions.

6. MiCarl

MiCarl Active Member

It is a much larger area, but the load is almost parallel to the rollers rather than perpendicular like the ball bearings. The races are essentially a pair of wedges multiplying the force on them.

7. RickCoMatic

RickCoMatic Well-Known Member

Your Handlebars should travel "Lock-to-lock" without a hiccup.

If there is a bump or a jerkiness; it's time to overhaul the headset bearings.

8. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

If the original bearings were CAGED balls it wouldn't be any different. This is one design quirk I've never been able to quite understand; unless it was simply a "traditional" method of doing it so nobody felt a need to change. It's not just Yamaha; virtually ALL bikes had loose ball steering head bearings seemingly forever. I'll bet a lot still do.

9. RickCoMatic

RickCoMatic Well-Known Member

Employ a strong Magnet when extracting the Steering Stem from the Frame.

Hold it to the LOWER end to collect the Balls.
    The UPPER Race will retain the upper Balls.

Use the Magnet, again, when you lift-off the upper race, and you shouldn't lose any of the loose balls.