1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Really bizarre handling issue??? 83 xj900's

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by FLASH4, Feb 5, 2009.

1. a340driver

a340driver Member

Not much mention of the "what I think" is the steering dampening disc. A round disc that mounts on the bottom of the tapered tube. Does it need lubricating or overhaul?
    My 81 XJ750 is not equipped with this unit. Only my 83. It mounts on a spline and has a locking bolt. It's the lower most item on the steering tube (bolt) Page 260 in the Haynes manual. How does it work? Should I take it off, after installing roller bearings ???

2. murray

murray Member

First thing I did on my current xj900 project is throw away the anti-dive forks and replaced them with a set from a 1985 xj900N. The are just conventional forks with no fancy add ons ,and filled with 10w fork oil., Cheers , and MERRY XMAS , Murray

3. murray

murray Member

.... and I was going to add that , of the half dozen or so xj900,s that Ive seen around my neck of the woods , none have had their original rear shocks , they,ve all had old Konis fitted. Seems either the originals didnt last, or where quickly changed for a better shock. And you can still get parts to rebuild them from Ikon shocks here in Australia. I,d certainly suggest ditching the originals for a quality after market unit, they,ll make a big difference, cheers, Murray

4. MrSeca

MrSeca Active Member

I know this is an extremely old post but did you ever figure out what your wobbling issue was?

5. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

problem with old threads is the member
    FLASH4 was last seen:Mar 16, 2010
    if you click on the avatar it will pop up a screen and you can see when they were here last.
    I did ebjoy reading the thread.

he did answer this question on his last post to this thread

6. Minimutly

Minimutly Well-Known Member

Yes, good read. Outside of the known issues with rear and front tyres and pressures, add knacked rear shock absorbers, knacked or just not maintained forks, loose head bearings, you have the issue Yamaha themselves found and fixed, namely the fork hung fairing.
    I seem to recall many instances of tank slappers caused by combinations of fork fairings and rear paniers or top box.

MrSeca and k-moe like this.