1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

What did you do to your Yamaha today?

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Cutlass84, Jun 4, 2007.

1. rd337

rd337 Member

fork seals and 15w fork oil overfilled to minimize diving!
    it's AMAZING

2. JUNK8

JUNK8 New Member

I cut mine in half just behind where the kickstand is welded to the frame. That felt and looked weird seing my bike in to pieces

3. Erman

Erman Member

Got the airbox assembly in, as well as carbs and tank on.

I discovered that there are some engine fin dampeners missing. Maybe that was why the engine sounded as if would rattle. Ordered those from a local source as well as a new clutch lever, as the bolt hole on the old one is no longer entirely circular.

Left to do is to wire up new right hand controls, though I can't ride in 4-5 months...

4. broberg

broberg Member

I cleaned up my brake and clutch levers, still needs some wet sanding before it goes for anodizing.

[​IMG]

5. rd337

rd337 Member

Thats what those rubber bits are for!?!?!

I thot the previous owner was being stupid and decided to shove a couple rubber bits in between the fins for fun......
    so i pulled them out and threw them away.......... there were only 2 tho.....

are they important?

6. sebwiers

sebwiers Active Member

Built a frame stand to make welding on it easier, welded a cross brace on the chopped tail, welded the mounting tabs for the solo seat (from a sport bike, not a old school bobber seat), cut some of the parts for my monoshock conversion

7. LVSteve2011

LVSteve2011 Member

Howdy RD, from a mechanical POV they are not required, but the noise made may be irritating. At certain RPM the harmonic vibes cause the fins to "
    sing". If you don't want to spend the money for the original rubber dampers, you can use short pieces of vacuum hose.

8. pnthubb

pnthubb Member

Replaced Right side mirror and Brake handle that broke when our dog knocked it over to eat the seat some years ago. We don't have that dog anymore!
    Then took my kids for a short ride through town.

9. a340driver

a340driver Member

I cleaned the signal light switch, and discovered that I actually have a push to cancel signal light switch!! cool ...

10. Foolber

Foolber Member

re-filled my battery with acid, lettin it chill overnight to soak it up nice and good then top her off again in the morn. also finished up cleaning the carbs without taking them off the rack, checked all jets and needles everything is looking good!

11. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

I pulled both fork legs, then disassembled, and cleaned them. New seals and o-rings will go on next weekend.

12. johnnyx

johnnyx Member

Bought new tank badges today-original ones too-bike tins are also at the painter-should be done early next week-now looking for new turn signals and new mega phone mufflers-cant wait to ride it this spring.

13. quebecois59

quebecois59 Well-Known Member

Took the LH side air scoop off of the Seca 900 to help me find a way to fix the bottom tab of the RH side scoop.

Cut the bottom of a soup can to the right shape, will use pop rivets to hold it on the scoop, will glue a washer on it and paint it black.

Will post when done!

14. ElkHavenSeca

ElkHavenSeca Active Member

Searched high and low for a sport fairing online , soaked all my intake boot bolts with kroil oil so i can remove then next week . rebuilt petcock , built roll away dolly for my extra motor so it can be moved easily out of the way . fed the deer when they came in the garage to watch me work . hung extra frame from rafters to give me more room.

15. moellear

moellear Member

visited a motorcycle museum this morning, gathered misc parts to get rid and/or sell on here of before I move outta the parents house, pulled my front forks off the 550 maxim and got 'em apart, separated, and cleaned free of dirty grit and ooze in the grooves. tomorrow i plan to polish the forks!

16. Krafty

Krafty Member

I pulled the carbs off the 750 seca cause It wouldn't start after swapping the bars ( those two things are connected , I get to that in a sec), I pulled them apart one by one hosed everything down, cleaned all the jets, main nozzle, the floats and needle seats. put each carb back together before moving to the next.

Well I found 2 surprises one was a small bolt sitting in the vacuum piston of carb #2, so someone dropped it in without realizing when putting the cover on the diaphragm .

second I found all my carbs had 120 main and 40 pilot, EXCEPT #4 which had a 40 Main, 40 Pilot.
    like seriously how do you f that up? luckily with the bike I also got a box of parts that included a set of carb skeletons and various little bits and pieces bouncing around, so I found a 120 jet to replace that 40 main.

got them all back together and on the bike with some fancy prybar work to get all 4 intake boots on the carbs at the same time. Got everything hooked up and ready to test fire, Bike took a while to catch like it was only trying to fire with the starter but wouldn't take off. Well it finally cought and jumped up to 6000rpm, shut it off, tried again fire and instantly at 6000 rpm.

so after about an hour of problem solving I determined that somewhere between removing the carbs and swapping the bars, the throttle cable was about 1/8" too short and holding the throttle open. the adjuster in the cable casing was already as short as it would go, so I cut 1/4" off the casing adjuster so i could dial it in.

all back together and its never run better. I had run the bike on friday after doing the valve shims but flooded the engine after swapping the bars which lead me to this extremely long post.

17. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

I enlisted my freezer to help with the upgrade to tapered headstock bearings. Yay for freezers :)

18. jpacman

jpacman Member

My garage is like working in a freezer! Managed to wrestle my carbs off this morning and did you know that carb boots get really stiff when they're cold? Don't think I damaged anything.

I got really good at removing the carb bank while I was resurrecting my '82 Maxim 750 (just 5500 miles but lots of issues from past owner's neglect). Must have had them off 10 times before I finally found the blocked enrichment jet in the float bowl. Used the smallest tip cleaner and sharpened it to a chisel point then used it like a drill bit. Man, that crud was tough!

Next project is to continue to adjust the floats using bench methods and clear tubing on the drains. The bike starts immediately and cold idles great but it idles high when the engine is warm and I come to a stop light. The floats have been indicated a possible issue. I've already bench synched the carbs using several suggested methods found here (thanks, guys!) and checked for vacuum leaks using more great ideas from past forum strings.

To do before riding season:
    Make "batt" and "fuel" warning lights go away
    Finish carbs and reinstall
    Wash the winter's dust off and ride it, man!

19. johnnyx

johnnyx Member

New stock tank badges are in-still waiting for the tins to come back from painter-have new orings ready for reassembly-come on spring-come on painter.

20. ElkHavenSeca

ElkHavenSeca Active Member

Removed old carb intake boots thanks to my new friend kroil oil ,And rebuilt my petcock in anticipation of installing my rebuilt carbs this weekend !