1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Dyna tank

Discussion in 'XJ Modifications' started by Shane_Wood, Feb 9, 2013.

1. Shane_Wood

Shane_Wood Member

Anyone know if a gas tank off a Dyna would fit on an xj650?

Thanks

2. JoeyGKedd

JoeyGKedd Member

Im guessing it wouldnt be bolt on and most likely need alot of modding. The mounts are most likely different and you may need to modify the tunnel to get it to sit on the backbone correctly. Again, Im just guessing but some people on the forum have used sportster tanks and have had to alter them.

3. Demin

Demin Member

I just so happen to have a couple Harley tanks.I'll get a few pics when I have a minute.Just did some pics of a Suzuki Savage tank on a 650.In another thread.

4. Shane_Wood

Shane_Wood Member

Thanks...would you be interested in getting rid of one of the tanks? How many gallons?

5. Cudaguy

Cudaguy Member

Do you have any Harley tank parts? I need the plate that seals the tank from a streetglide. It usually has the fuel injection pump or a tank sending unit attached. I just want the metal as it contains the filler neck, which must be specific to align with the console that goes over it. You can't order just the plate, it is an assembly with the electronics direct from Harley. The guy who sold me the tank lied to me about the metal, so now I have a tank can't use for my project

6. Demin

Demin Member

Ok,sorry I took so long getting the pics.This is actually a FXR tank,but the Dyna is about the same thingI'm thinking it would probably be better to go with a metric tank for more clearance underneath.So here's what you have.

I do have a tank off of an '05,but the owner wants a good bit of money for it.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. Demin

Demin Member

No,I'm sorry I don't.The one I have the owner got a little ding in it and he replaced the tank.And like you said that comes in an assembly,which they removed and put into the new tank.

Why not have one made?Have a plate made that will bolt in and have them weld a filler neck in the correct spot on the plate.

8. Cudaguy

Cudaguy Member

Yeah, I had an estimate from a weld company. They wanted 200 bucks for the plate, welding a filler neck, and gas cap. Not worth it. I am hoping to find someone who has a defective pump and just bought the complete assy rather than switch the pump on the mount. I guess the usual fix is to replace the whole assy, but most just throw the defective one away. I'll have to keep looking and hoping.

9. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

I'd shop around some more. $200 sounds like the "We don't want to do that" price.