1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Steering Bearings

Discussion in 'XJ Modifications' started by a340driver, Apr 9, 2013.

1. a340driver

a340driver Member

OK, please pass the humble pie! ... I installed the bearings after reading Chacals instructions, oh, about 100 times. The bearings seemed to go in OK. Tighted the nuts on top "hand tight" road 25 Km or so ... seemed kinda loose. So I tightened a bit more. I swear I can see some travel, and with a hard brake, it goes "click" release "clunk" ... oh dear . Tell me it isn't so, but is it possible I installed the top bearing upside down?? or, before I tear it all apart, should I tighten it more? I have about 150 Km on the bike now.
    Waiting for your kind and gentle answer .. 8O

2. 750E-II_29Rbloke

750E-II_29Rbloke Active Member

It's possible you didn't quite seat the bearing races completely when fitting & the riding has pushed them into place now.

If you're sure you followed the instructions fully then I'd try readjusting them & see how they feel.

3. a340driver

a340driver Member

Thanks for that ... I have some carbs on the shelf, I'll go and see what they are.

4. a340driver

a340driver Member

5. 750E-II_29Rbloke

I was a bit confused for a minute there as was thinking "hang on, we're talking head bearings" lol, I'm guessing you read my signature? lol

If that's the case, The 33mm carbs are pretty similar to 32mm but have some extra tubes above the fuel rail & other little bits here & there. If they're not fitted to a bike probably the best chance to ID them is a photo of the airbox side of the rack (kinda looking down their throats)...

There's also some measurements Chacal provided me with somewhere in my PMs so I'll try find them :? Cheers :)

EDIT-: found them... pretty similar on most parts, the 32.6mm intake fooled me on the 32mm carbs, thought I had 2 sets of 33mm to start with lol :(

6. a340driver

a340driver Member

I'd have to pull them off the parts bike then .. and measure. can't today but soon. CHEERS

7. cutlass79500

cutlass79500 Well-Known Member

I am sure it was not seated all the way. They do loosen up a bit so check them a few time after you ride it.

8. Foolber

Foolber Member

you werent the only one, i was like when did we switch???

i recently did steering bearings also in my XJ750 but haven't had a chance to ride it yet as i have not completed everything on my list.

9. 750E-II_29Rbloke

I guess the memo just never made it to Jupiter hahaha :D

10. Foolber

Foolber Member

you guys are ruthless! one day you'll see, we Jupiteriets will come and take over earth, for now we just leech internet off your satellites :p

and as for new steering bearings, i have heard many good things about putting tapered rollers in. (which is what i used) better all around ride, smoother turning, suspension will prob benefit im sure :)

11. nablats

nablats Member

I have fitted taper roller steering head bearings - the top race sits proud of the head stock by about 3/4mm is this normal?

k-moe likes this.
  12. jayrodoh

jayrodoh YimYam Premium Member

When I did mine I had the same result. Confirmed with Chacal that this is normal.

k-moe likes this.
  13. nablats

nablats Member

thanks for that jayrodoh:)