1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Rebuilding my carb, any recommendations?

Discussion in 'Hangout Lounge' started by tscott, Apr 23, 2013.

1. tscott

tscott New Member

OK guys, I'm going to pull the carburetor and break apart and rebuild it. Never done this before so wish me luck! Lots of pics, so let me know if you all see anything that's wrong.

[​IMG][/url][/img]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now how did leaves get in there?
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Is this normal?
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. ecologito

ecologito Well-Known Member

Make sure that every single piece comes apart, do not soak any rubber part in Cab cleaner that you are planning on using again. If you are going to break the rack apart I guess the only rubber part that you should be reusing are the diaphragms.

Take the time to go over every single passage and part.

Good luck!

3. Kilted_to_the_Max(im)

Kilted_to_the_Max(im) Member

Always amazing to see what gets into the carbs. Leaves, mice, etc.

4. 750E-II_29Rbloke

750E-II_29Rbloke Active Member

Also, make 200% sure that the enrichment jets in the float bowls are completely clear (they should be able to shoot carb cleaner across the room)

This is a great thread, long but informative and what I used to go through my carbs... http://xjbikes.com/Forums/viewtopic/t=14692.html

5. pjk_xj700

pjk_xj700 Member

I think I saw some hen's teeth and a little bit of unobtainium in that 2nd carb.

Rare find, that.

6. jmilliken

jmilliken Well-Known Member

Awesome.... you have fun with that....

7. jim123

jim123 Member

Make sure you punch out all the holes on your new bowl gaskets like in the pic "Is this normal." I only poked out one for the tube to go through and the bike would not start cold without starting fluid. Also, the single most usefull tool I got for this bike was the little drill bit from xjforever to clean the jet at the bottom of the bowl. Just thought I'd share where I went wrong the first 6 or 7 times I had the carbs apart before I got it to work right.

8. jpacman

jpacman Member

Looking into my crystal ball, I see many hours of work, frustration, questions, and learning in your future. Do the research to save yourself the hassles that someone has already figured out how to avoid.

I recommend reading all you can about rebuild kits, carb tear downs and cleanliness, bench synching, setting the floats, inspecting the rubber slider diaphragm for holes, new gaskets for the intake manifolds, etc. It might be too late, but make sure that anything you take off of a particular carburetor goes back into that unit. Sometimes the mixing of parts can lead to problems.

And be sure to check that pesky enrichment jet at the bottom of the float bowl. I, too, like jim123 missed this little bugger the first few times I had the carb bank off to do adjustments. Drove me mad!

It's all in here; you just need to put in the time. I'm sure I forgot something and the guys will jump in ad add to your long list of "to dos".

Good luck!

9. jpacman

jpacman Member

And if the carbs look like this, then you've just hit the tip of the iceberg that awaits you on the rest of the bike.

Rear brake check, master brake cylinder rebuild, front brake caliper rebuild, fork seal rebuild, cables lubed or replaced, replace all rubber hoses (fuel and air), fuel petcock repaired, cleaning and treating the inside of the gas tank, etc. etc. etc..........

10. tscott

tscott New Member

Look what I received in the mail today!! Super Happy!

[​IMG][/url][/img]

11. 750E-II_29Rbloke

Make sure you modify the main & pilot air jet placings on page 123 (fig. 7.9b) before they catch you out on reassembly ;)

12. tscott

tscott New Member

OK everything has been taken apart and cleaned in Chem-Dip.

[​IMG][/url][/img]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. 750E-II_29Rbloke

Hang on... Did you dip them with the throttle shafts in place?

That can damage the shaft seals (if they weren't dead anyway, which is likely)

I'd recommend replacing the shaft seals regardless of if they were dipped, since you already stripped the carbs that far & you'd need to break the rack yet again to change them if they turn out to leak afterwards...

Also I notice the pilot screws are still fitted, they need to come out to clean the pilot circuit (and they also have an o-ring that needs replacing)

Did we mention that this thread http://xjbikes.com/Forums/viewtopic/t=14692.html is very long but extremely useful to read and will make sure you avoid pitfalls like stripping the pilot screw heads & only have to do the job once ;)

14. tscott

tscott New Member

Crap!! My first screw up.

15. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

Why do I not believe that.... :wink:

My favorite history teacher would say "First mistake I ever made" (with great regularity). :lol:

16. Metal_Bob

Metal_Bob Active Member

The 2nd screw up was making ONE pile of parts instead of 4 :( ... You'll be looking at your pictures and posts when you go to reassemble :)...

Mine has been sitting 1/2 apart for a year :( But I have 3 spare racks to look at :) (2 of them are really rough probably have frozen screws like crazy).

17. skills4lou

skills4lou Member

A bit late, but get yourself an egg carton to hold parts. label each "cup" with the carb number. Anything from inside the float bowl goes in one, anything from the top goes in another.

And +1 on replacing the throttle shaft seals. You're in this deep, do it now or do it later: either way it needs doing.

18. jmilliken

jmilliken Well-Known Member

eh... those throttle shaft seals were crap anyway... count it as a learning experience :) be glad you didn't dip NEW seals

19. UK550Maxim

UK550Maxim Member

I got myself a used rack for spare and it ended up being a lifesaver when I came to re-assemble everything, much easier with a complete set for reference! You were braver than me, I didn't split the rack.

20. cg82

cg82 Member

I just did a carb rebuild over the winter. I would reccomend reading the howto's and posts here about it. i printed them off, highlighted parts and read and re-read them a billion times during the process. I did one at a time just to not get stuff mixed up. since you have everything apart already, too late! haha good luck, its not too bad once you wrap your head around it and read the info a billion times. I also have that same manual the the diagrams actually saved me a few times putting stuff back together.