1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

winter storage issues

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by 550fella, May 6, 2013.

1. 550fella

550fella New Member

hello everyone fairly new to the site and i believe this is my first post, Anyways also fairly new to motorcycles so please bear with me I purchased a 81 xj550 last year to learn to ride on worked great all year I stored to my best ability fired right up and runs but I seem to have seeped oil over the 5 month period it was only on the side it was leaning towards on side stand but cant seem to find out where from ? also the clutch lever isnt the same as it was had approximately 3-5mm freeplay when parked and now it has to be pulled all the way to handle and it barely engages Im adjusting free play today to try to remedy this but what would cause this any thoughts?Kind of discouraging but hopefully nothing to serious. thanks for the input and look forward to hearing more experienced xj owners.thanks

2. BluesBass

BluesBass Member

Welcome to the forums! There is more information here than you will know what to do with, but most people are patient and all are helpful.

First, please update your account information with your bike in your sig and your location in your profile. It helps everyone else here figure out quickly and easily what bike you are talking about without you having to tell us as well as any environmental issues that may be specific to your area. If you are really lucky, there might even be someone nearby who can help you figure these issues out offline too.

The first thing you should do is figure out your oil leak. It is probably leaking from the left side engine cover, since this is where all of the oil pools in the engine if you have had it on the side stand. This could be due to a broken, corroded, or simply worn away gasket on the engine cover. It may also be due to the shift lever oil seal leaking. I would recommend checking these areas first.

After you diagnose and repair this oil leak, do an oil change with a new filter - this is a good idea at the beginning (and end) of every riding season IMHO.

For future reference, it is better to store your bike long-term (such as for the offseason) on the center stand.

Regarding your clutch, it may be that the clutch cable is binding somewhere between the clutch handlebar control and the engine clutch connection. Disconnect the clutch cable from the engine end and try to operate the handlebar control. If the cable doesn't slide completely freely then it is binding somewhere inside its sheath.

You can try to spray some silicone lubricant down through the clutch cable from the handlebar end. Spray enough in until you get the lube dripping out the opposite (engine) side of the cable. If this fixes the problem then you should consider replacing the cable as the cause is typically corroded, frayed, or otherwise damaged threads of the cable.

If needed, you can order a replacement clutch cable from our trusty resident parts supplier, user ID 'chacal' or by emailing info@xj4ever.com (remove the spaces). Be sure to include your year and model bike as well as exactly what parts you need. Len (chacal) is really good about giving advice too, so if you aren't sure and you don't get the answer here, ask him before you order and he will help you get the right parts the first time.

Good luck, and if any other winter storage related issues arise, continue to post them in this same topic - it helps us narrow down what has and hasn't been done instead of having to search for and read multiple posts about your same bike. Don't be surprised if it takes a day or so for a few responses - we aren't always the quickest forum to respond, but when we do you can bet the information will be helpful.

-John

3. jmilliken

jmilliken Well-Known Member

Also, the loss of oil could have affected the clutch plates and related internal mechanisms.

4. Kilted_to_the_Max(im)

Kilted_to_the_Max(im) Member

Important point, this. Your bike has, mostly, "One Oil Pan to Rule Them All". Once you change/fill the oil case you may find the tight clutch back to how you expect it to behave.

5. 550fella

550fella New Member

sorry about that everyone 81 maxim xj550 i've got less than a grand into it and put 1300k on it last year, thats the reason I brought it up was wondering if the were connected I think some how the spring where clutch connects at engine got bent goin to order a new one today think this is cause of clutch problem wondering if oil coming from tach cable