1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

A good on-board tool?

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by ColoradoDan, Oct 24, 2013.

1. ColoradoDan

ColoradoDan Active Member

I've been slowly adding items to keep on the bike for roadside emergencies. My maxim didn't come with the original tool kit.

***I was really shocked, but bought it anyway***

I want a multi-socket of some sort without spending more than I need, so I can have less weight and bulk with most of the sizes for a quick repair.

Anyone think these two are worth relying on in a pinch?

http://www.amazon.com/Black-Decker-RRW1 ... lti+socket

http://www.amazon.com/Black-Decker-MSW1 ... lti+socket

Or the deluxe version...
    http://www.amazon.com/Kobalt-Multi-Driv ... pd_cp_hi_2

**This is just for roadside and not in-garage work :wink:

2. patmac6075

patmac6075 Active Member

This is just one man's opinion Dan, but for me, I'd rather just carry regular tools...I can see one of those things working if your fastener is right out in the open...any kind of angle or obstacle or reach will render that thing useless.

3. ColoradoDan

Thanks for the input. I was leaning toward the second one (or third) since it has the swivel feature so I could get to odd angled spots.

4. Faction.Arms

Faction.Arms Member

I have the Craftsman version of those, the swivel feature won't help with tight spaces, the head is about 2 plus inches thick, and I'm pretty sure the B&D is bigger.

Craftsman does have a set of two small, multi sized wrenches, they look like a folding pocket knife, with an articulated head for pipe wrench like "ratcheting" head.

Craftsman Clench Wrench

I've had pretty good luck with these, they actually grab quite tightly.

And as for Kobalt tools, in my experience, they are almost all absolute garbage. I've had everything from a hacksaw bow snap in half within 10 minutes of use, bit drivers where the bits are lose enough to spin in the driver with minimal torque, to out of spec screwdrivers (how hard is it to make a P2), to pliers where the jaws don't match up, and the handles slide if as soon as you squeeze them.
    Kobalt is garbage that I refuse to trust. I seriously wrong even try a hammer from them now, I'm actually scarred of the hammer had breaking off towards my face. When that hacksaw snapped, I got lucky. The blade went flying straight past my ear, almost right into my face.
    I have returned every Kobalt tool I've purchased from Lowe's.

5. ColoradoDan

Thanks for the suggestion. I like these better than a Loggerhead 6-Inch Bionic Wrench I saw on amazon. They appear to be small enough to fit some places, and cover wrench work.

My expected roadside needs are tires, clutch cable, and maybe shocks.

Anything more than those, and I thumb home and get a uhaul trailer. I wouldn't try to check valve clearances or perform carb overhauls :lol:

Actually carrying the clench wrenches along with the BD ready wrench might cover it all.

6. BluesBass

BluesBass Member

Word is that Dave Fox (member hogfiddles) may have a few original sets in functional condition. I don't know if he has sorted through to see what he has, but perhaps if you PM him he may be able to help you out. It would certainly keep with the stock setup!

7. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

The tool set that came with these bikes is pretty much nothing more than a bad joke. The most useful thing is the pouch itself.

[​IMG]

8. ColoradoDan

That picture is awesome. Looks like an 80s version of one of those Wally World 'college student' pre-fab kits, but AFTER about 10 dorm/apartment moves where you gotta dismantle the same piece of crap futon frame, and then a few failed attempts at replacing the starter on a 1987 corolla, because you used that tool kit.

I think I'll stick to buying something currently on the market. I am not a nostalgic XJ'er :wink:

9. RickCoMatic

RickCoMatic Well-Known Member

My suggestion for one Onboard Tool is a quality T-Handle Spark Plug Tool!

10. ColoradoDan

Hell yeah! That's what I was overlooking. Perfect suggestion Rick.

So my total package is: the clench-wrench pair, the BD ready wrench, t-handle plug tool, some type of air-pump (for fixable flats), tire repair plug kit, tire pressure gauge.

11. Faction.Arms

Faction.Arms Member

Any tool kit kit should include the mini 1"wide roll of Gorilla brand tape. Don't bother with what people say about duct tape, this isn't.
    Also, zip ties, and paracord. The trifecta of emergency attachment.

12. z32800

z32800 Member

13. ColoradoDan

Great idea!
    Check, and check (I always wear my black 550 bracelet on rides):
    http://readynutrition.com/resources/par ... g_07062012

Check
    Ah, bailing wire! My college Corolla was the poster child for it.
    The exhaust and radiator would have been laying on the road without bailing wire!

14. Wirehairs

Wirehairs Member

I think one master chain link is also worth carrying in there. People make fun of those stock tool kits, but I like them.... primarily for nostalgia. Dang near every bolt on the bike is a 10 or 12mm, so I don't require much. As has already been articulated, a piece of space wire often comes in handy.

15. ColoradoDan

I have a shaft, but it could serve as a nice ornament around my neck :wink:

I'm sure someone with a chain would understand your suggestion - I remain completely and happily oblivious to the chain world, until I get a different bike :lol:

16. z32800

z32800 Member

Bet me to it ColoradoDan! but if you have a chain then a spare link makes sense.

17. ColoradoDan

Ha! Couldn't pass it up.

So wearing a link around the neck COULD be a good idea for the chain-bike owners? Hmm, a new Amazon craze could be in the works.

18. 750E-II_29Rbloke

750E-II_29Rbloke Active Member

I've got to say, for roadside emergencies the stock tool kits are perfectly usable, personally. Sure the tools are mickey mouse quality, but then you're (with luck & correct maintenance) never going to use them more than once or twice for tightening something that worked loose or to fix somebody's Kawi & they last perfectly well for what they're designed for. The 2 things I'd replace though are the allen keys, never used one but they look to be no more than hole-rounding instruments

Honda's kits are pretty much the same just stamped Hm not Yamaha & I've been using the screwdrivers a fair bit, they're actually not bad!

19. ColoradoDan

Good to know, bloke. If I run across one, I'll keep it.

I was thinking more in simplicity, with having fewer actual pieces. I do plan to have an industrial-strength allen key set, whether a really good bike tool or a set of loose keys.

Truth is, once I am seated on the bike, that's probably enough on-board tool my bike needs 8)

20. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

you wear them on your boot strap
    upload_2015-12-26_1-23-9.jpeg