1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Looking for some new tires

Discussion in 'Hangout Lounge' started by Xjrider92117, Jan 18, 2014.

1. Xjrider92117

Xjrider92117 Active Member

Anyone ever use dunlop d404's? There like 215$ for the set. Any thoughts?

I mean there are so many to choose from. I have Metzler marathon on but they are a little out of my price range now.

Any other types of tires that anyone likes let me no and I'll check them out.

I ride mainly to and from work (freeway). And around the town. Once in a while go for longer rides when I have time.

Thanks
    Jim.

2. gunnabuild1

gunnabuild1 Member

I have no idea about price but I've been very happy with my Pirelli Sport Demon's.

3. rpgoerlich

rpgoerlich Member

The last 2 set's of D404's I've run on the XS11 lasted 6-8kmi on the rear and 10-12kmi on the front. I paid $120 for both front and rear. Just replaced the rear today with a Shinko 712 for $67.

I loved the Metzlers on the XJ550, they really hugged the road well.

4. Stumplifter

Stumplifter Well-Known Member

I am on my first set of D404,s and so far appear to be getting similar mileage results as rpgoerlich.

Good tire, good price.

5. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

You'll get a little bit better range from D404's on a 550; on my '81 Seca the rear is getting thin enough to replace at around 10K; and the front is just beyond half-life at that mileage.

I like the D404s; they're smooth, quiet, don't have a continuous center groove in the front, and are quite capable in the wet. I'm going to stay with them on the '81.

6. bmarzka

bmarzka Active Member

What ever you decide on, do your homework and do research on the web to know what you want. DON'T trust a dealer.
    My Maxim needed a rear tire when I bought it. I went to a shop and got an IRC, mounted and balanced, for a $100. It lasted 2900 miles. I discovered that they had installed a FRONT tire on the rear. Front tires have a different rubber compound for cornering. Now, I order my tires online and have them mounted. My current tire is a Bridgestone Spitfire 11F and has 4 seasons on it. Time for a new one.
    BTW, that shop is out of business.
    Also, check the date codes on the new tires. I bought a tire that was 4 years old and didn't know it until 2 years later when it started weather checking.

7. FtUp

FtUp Well-Known Member

the shinko tires should be good tires as they are yokahama's tire technology. you can't beat the price either.

CN

8. Xjrider92117

Thanks for the heads up. I'll be careful. Thanks for the replies I think I'm gonna give the D404's a try.

9. redsix

redsix Member

I run D404s. Got mine from rockymountainatv.com. I'm pretty happy with them.

10. Xjrider92117

Need a little help is a 100/90/19 gonna fit my bike. The guy trying to sell me some tires said "he thinks so" but didn't sound to sure. The tire on the bike says 3.25 19 54 h so I wasn't sure and didn't want to get the wrong size.

And while we're at it is a 130/90/16 a good size for the rear?

Thanks.

11. ruthless

ruthless New Member

Had them on my nighthawk did not care for them at about 50 had a head shake that wasn't there before the tires and couldn't get rid of it. And they weren't that good in the rain.

12. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

Motorcycles tend to be finicky about what tires are on them. What works perfectly on one model of motorcycle can be utter crap on a different model.

13. bigfitz52

Size-wise: the stock front can be replaced with a 90/90-19 or a 100/90-19; and yes, the 130/90-16 is correct for the rear of a 550 Maxim.

Tire choice alone shouldn't cause "head shake" but what it can do is reveal a problem that wasn't apparent with worn tires. Like worn-out rear shocks for instance.

14. OldBikerDude

OldBikerDude Member

Another thing to check is the wheel bearings. While your bike is up on the center stand grab the wheels and see if there is back and forth play in them. They should feel solid. If there is play you probably have bad bearings. My bike needed bearings bad. There were hardly any bearings left in them. It only had 10,000 miles on it but this is something that is over looked a lot of the time. After 30 plus years they can rust out. I would save my pennys and get the Metzler marathons again. I have around 5000 miles now on mine and have been real happy with them. They really hug the road well in the rain and seem to last real well. Just my 2 cents.

15. BluesBass

BluesBass Member

Here is my experience. I have mounted the same tires on THREE different bikes, as listed below:

Tires:
    Michelin Commander II tires, Radial or Bias-style per bike specification replacements (both available dependent on your application)
    Front and Rear wheels replaced at the same time.

Bikes Equipped with said tires:
    1981 XJ650 Midnight Maxim
    1984 XJ550 Maxim
    1986 XV1100 Virago

Noted improvements over Dunlop 404's (previously on Maxim 650):
    Road seam / steel grate bridge improvement: I can't feel it as the tires pass over road seams, asphalt seals, road cracks up to 1 1/2 inch height difference
    Wet weather grip: improved grip and handling in wet weather conditions.
    Overall road grip and tire feel: better confidence and performance in all conditions. I'm confident in scraping foot pegs on turns on all three bikes. The grip is absolutely outstanding compared to Dunlop 404's. The ride quality is vastly improved as well and I have no problems with grip, poor road feedback, or handling on varying road surfaces.
    In a nutshell: Going from Dunlop 404's to Michelin Commander II's, you can't find a better upgrade. You can ride a crack or uneven pavement and not feel it. The tires grip ALWAYS. You go from a timid rider to a confident rider. You will be able to handle those turns that the Dunlops were squirrely on with confidence and ease. The tires boast up to 2x tire life which I have yet to test, but I have about 500 miles on all three bikes since each tire has been added and they still look like new (nubs on the tires still intact except for at the center of the tires).

My advice: buy the Michelin Commander II's; get better tire life, better performance, more confidence, and more control over the road and the bike. Tires are your ENTIRE contact with the road surface and the one thing that truly connects the bike to the road. Why would you cheap out on them when your life depends on it? I didn't, and I happily pass on my experience to everyone who will listen. Spend a bit extra and reap the benefits.

16. BaldWonder

BaldWonder Innocent Bystander

I had the Michelins put on mine just before Winter. I have about 200 miles on them so far. Everything about them feels pretty good so far. Last ride before the bike was left to hibernate was in the rain, at night, at about 55'F. As I rolled it into place in the garage, I happened to brush my hand on one of the tires. It was still warm from the ride and wet from the rain. I was surprised that when I touched it, it was almost tacky. Made me realize that that's probably what the extra expense paid for. I believe I paid about $150 per tire.

17. Xjrider92117

Thanks for the advise everyone. Very cool.

Still just trying to save a bit before I go out and do it.

I plan on doing the chain and sprockets. Front and rear wheel bearings and rear brake shoes.

Jim

18. bigfitz52

19. Xjrider92117

Nope... Thanks fitz.