1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Discussion in 'Hangout Lounge' started by Jim-boyd, Feb 26, 2014.

1. Jim-boyd

Jim-boyd New Member

Hi everyone
    I'm new to xj bikes, I'm picking up a 1983 xj900 tomorrow. Bit crappy but will to put some time into it on a cafe build.
    I have got a lot of inspiration from Greg hageman (same as everyone lol) I'll post some inspirational pics up too.
    Cheers
    Jim

2. Jim-boyd

Jim-boyd New Member

Here is the bike I'm getting and my inspiration
    I want to achieve something similar to the grey xj900 (Melbourne builder) but with the tank(same color) and seat, grips from the other

Attached Files:

3. hellboy7

hellboy7 New Member

Looking forward to seeing this. I was just reading a blog about cafe builds... I think it was thereturnofthecaferacer... very informative site. Check em out
    They were talking about how cafe racers have a gentleman racer look to them, so be sure to get the proper gear too. Check out.. they're kinda decent. More epxensive stuff at revzilla though. http://www.motorcyclehouse.com/motorcycle-jackets.htm

4. hellboy7

hellboy7 New Member

Looking forward to seeing this. I was just reading a blog about cafe builds... I think it was thereturnofthecaferacer... very informative site. Check em out
    They were talking about how cafe racers have a gentleman racer look to them, so be sure to get the proper gear too. Check out.. they're kinda decent. More epxensive stuff at revzilla though. http://www.motorcyclehouse.com/motorcycle-jackets.htm

5. MarkV

MarkV Member

Not sure what youre getting for a bike. I see 2 pictures of headlights, and then, 2 pictures of bikes.

6. Jim-boyd

Jim-boyd New Member

Here she is
    Picked her up last night

Attached Files:

7. RobbieRobot

RobbieRobot Member

Welcome Jim. It's interesting that you've posted a pic of 9HUNGE because that bike and Rewheeled #1 were my main inspiration to build my Cafe Racer. I actually posted a pic of 9HUNGE on facebook a year ago as inspiration. Looking forward to being kept updated with your progress. Good luck.

8. wizard

wizard Active Member

How is the lower, rear part of the gas tank & the starter clutch ?

9. quebecois59

quebecois59 Well-Known Member

Welcome here.

I bought my own '83 Seca900 last year (mine is red) and I'm still in the process of making it road worthy (yes I'm slow).

There are a few members who own similar bikes here on this forum, very helpful people who know what they are talking about. Ask questions, they have answers.

10. Jim-boyd

Jim-boyd New Member

Thanks for the reply's guys. The bike isn't going yet cos carby we're full of shit so got them apart cleaning, then off to get registered then complete strip down! lot of work ahead. Tank has some visible repairs on lower section but I will be replacing with a different tank when I find one I like. Dunno bout starter clutch?

11. RobbieRobot

RobbieRobot Member

12. altlandf

altlandf Member

I wonder if he knows what he's in for. Better take a loan out Jim-Boyd to work on these bikes. I'm 45 and this by far is the most difficult bike I ever worked on.

13. BluesBass

BluesBass Member

Congratulations on your pending purchase! These bikes are awesome. Take your time and get it running before you attempt mods to it is my advice. I always liked the looks of the Secas, and the 900's are awesome. Make sure you PM member hogfiddles, I understand he maintains a list of the XJ900 owners and would be interested in giving you some good advice and info on your particular bike.

When you do get it post in the XJChat forum with your bike and everything you do and have problems with - it can take 24 hours to get a reply, but the advice is always sound, especially from members with 4+ stars under their avatar.

14. Jim-boyd

Jim-boyd New Member

Thanks Robbie, they do look good! Wasn't sure if there were any frame mods needed to fit the benelli tank though?

Altlandf - hopefully it just needs carby clean out to get running and registered (fingers crossed)

Thanks for the heads up bluesbass I will do that :)

Off to work now for three weeks, I have packed the carby's and bits and pieces in my carry bag along with tools lol so hopefully I get time of a night to tinker

Cheers

15. Jim-boyd

Jim-boyd New Member

I have also found this xjr1300 tank from UK
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/YAMAHA-XJR-1300 ... 38&vxp=mtr
    I think it may come close to a straight fit to 1983 xj900, has anyone tried this before?? I would rather alter tank than frame as frame mods require engineering in Australia.

Attached Files:

16. quebecois59

The member with the nickname "trokel" did put a similar tank on his Seca900, with some modifications.

17. quebecois59

18. Jim-boyd

Jim-boyd New Member

Thanks Quebecois59 that post was very useful, he mentioned it only had some new brackets welded to tank to make it fit. To ebay I go!!

19. quebecois59

You're welcome!

I'd certainly buy a similar tank if mine becomes rusty, its aesthetic fits the Seca900 perfectly to my eye.

20. hawkeyemike

hawkeyemike New Member

Greg Hageman just did an xj900 seca in a cafe, vintage superbike motif. He will have it at Barber VintageFest this weekend. Cannot wait to see it live.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2014