1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Are There Any Tricks To Seat The Diaphragms?

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by tmrastatter, Apr 24, 2014.

1. tmrastatter

tmrastatter Member

I imagine the O-Ring on the top of the Carb Diaphragm is supposed to sit on the outside lip of the raised carb body. My diaphragms seem a little small and before I botch up the install, does anybody have any tricks to help them stay seated while I install the Top Hats.

I am getting close to finishing up the carbs, thanks to all who read.

TR

2. ColoradoDan

ColoradoDan Active Member

Hey TR, if they haven't dried/shrunk from age, then they should seat well.

Mine seemed a little small too when I first serviced the carbs. I remember that when I slid and shifted the card hat around a bit before adding the screws, the diaphragm edges seemed to pop into the groove okay.

3. RickCoMatic

RickCoMatic Well-Known Member

I treat the Rubber with Armoral.
    I use Toothpicks to apply a tiny bit of Synthetic Grease in the Locating Channel.
    To make it easy to replace the Spring and Hat, ... I use a Gum Eraser to support the Piston slightly raised.
    Before replacing the Hat, ... run your finger around the Rubber to insure its seated and held by the smear of grease.

4. BruceB

BruceB Active Member

I used Rubber Cement. Applied it to the carb body and after it gets tacky I install the diaphragm and stays in position. I applied it very lightly with a shaved wooden coffee stirrer.

hope this helps

5. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

Gadfrey. I wouldn't glue them.

Just give the "ring" a smear of silicone grease and that should stick them in place nicely. Be careful that the little tab gets seated in its cutout spot.

6. wscraig76

wscraig76 Member

I usually put them in position and hold them there in the groove that is on top, drop in the springs, compress them, then put some cardboard strips on the top of that usually 12 pack material that I've cut up. Hold all that down, set the cap on top, pop in a screw or 4 and pull the cardboard out and tighten it all down.