1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Dies when shifted into gear

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Kornbread, May 3, 2014.

1. Kornbread

Kornbread New Member

Alright guys I have a problem to run past you. Its on my 87 Radian. I know, I know, this isn't a XJ but they are so similar I thought someone might have an idea. The bike has sat all winter, and I have been going over it doing the usual, carb cleaning and rebuilding, rewiring new fuse block, new chain and sprockets. Everything is perfect, she starts and runs great, revs and idles fine. But when I go to shift her into first (or second) to take off it immediatly shuts off. Definetely something electrical, its like hitting the kill switch.

My first thought was, dummy! The kickstand is down! But its not. I checked and cleaned the kickstand safety switch. I am pretty sure that isn't it. What else is there to check? I searched around on here but its seems everytime someone had this problem it was that kickstand switch. I don't think that is it on mine. Help?!

P.s. It worked fine last fall when i put it away, so something is stuck or corroded. The neutral light and everything works like its supposed to.

2. bendoza

bendoza Member

kick stand switch is all i can think of too.

3. Hotcakesman

Hotcakesman Active Member

you can pick them up on ebay cheap
    to test this theory cut the switch and twist the 2 wires together
    and block it off with a marrett
    this will tell u if this is the problem

4. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

It's the sidestand switch. Unless a wire is pinched through somewhere.

Don't CUT anything; pop the sprocket cover off and unplug it. Then plug the two leads for it into each other. If the Radian doesn't have a set of bullet plugs between the switch and where the (long) lead wire goes up to the harness, then jumper it at the top end.

Then fix it.

Sit on the bike with your foot on the peg and look down at the sidestand when it's deployed. You can't see it. Leave the switch bypassed and you will eventually end up on your butt, probably in the neighbors' front yard. The geometry of the stand is such that it can and will "lever" the rear wheel off the ground rather than just "kick up" if you roll into a left hander with it down.

5. Kornbread

Kornbread New Member

Fitz, that was my thought too. I unplugged the two bullet connectors from the switch and plugged them into each other and no difference, same problem.

6. bigfitz52

You plugged the switch connectors into each other, or the harness connectors?

If it was the harness connectors, then you have an "open" somewhere upstream between the switch and the rest of the harness, the sidestand relay, somewhere.

It will shut off as soon as you put it in gear only if it thinks the stand is down, if it were elsewhere (neutral switch) then pulling in the clutch would allow it to run. It has to be thinking the stand is down.

7. Kornbread

Kornbread New Member

Sorry, I should have been more clear. I plugged the harness connectors into each other. SO there has to be an open circuit somewhere. Any ideas on where to check first?

8. bigfitz52

Follow the harness lead back to where it plugs in, most likely up under the seat; check the connections at the sidestand relay and TCI unit.

I'm assuming the Radian is similar enough to the 550 Max in this respect for that wiring to be the same or nearly so; I have 550 reference materials.

9. hogfiddles

hogfiddles XJ-Wizard, Host-Central NY Carb Clinic Moderator Premium Member

Neutral safety switch........

10. Kornbread

Kornbread New Member

Thanks for all the replies! Turns out the plug for the side stand switch was corroded where it plugs into the harness. Little electrical cleaner some scraping, and some dielectric grease and she finally shifted into gear. Thanks bigfitz for the quick replies.

11. rocs82650

rocs82650 Well-Known Member

+1, these guys are good. Imo eliminate future problems...clean and dielectric grease all other contact connectors.

12. skills4lou

skills4lou Member

x2 on cleaning other connections!

Also, the correct way to test the switch is with a continuity tester/ohm meter. Should read infinite (open) in one position, 0(closed) in the other position. I don't have a schematic in front of me to tell which one corresponds with stand up/down, but the key is that it's two different values in different positions.
    Glad you got it sorted out!