1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Removing clutch hub tips?

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Wirehairs, Oct 31, 2014.

1. Wirehairs

Wirehairs Member

I see the nice clutch replacement posting here: http://xjbikes.com/forums/index.php?threads/clutches-101-part-1-the-400-550-600s-with-pics.29541/

But, I need to remove a clutch hub to sell to someone, but don't really want to buy that tool to hold it while removing that center bolt. I tried some rope yesterday, but didn't work. I have a rubber strap wrench I'm going to try tonight, but am pessimistic. The motor's off the bike; does anyone have suggestions on the best way to remove this sucker? Some lock ties possibly?

2. Kenz

Kenz New Member

Not sure if you mean the clutch hub/ basket, but take an impact gun to the nut. I used a small strap to hold the basket.

3. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

i just put the socket on it and hit the ratchet handle with whatever is handy

4. Bigshankhank

Bigshankhank Active Member

Are you parting out this bike? If not, then why are you replacing a serviceable clutch hub/basket?

5. cds1984

cds1984 Active Member

attach something(like some RHS) to the final drive area, where the uni-joint would normally attach, stick your knee on it, put it in first gear and WRENCH that clutch nut.
    Yes it would have been a LOT easier in the frame with a rear wheel attached and your foot on the brake.

6. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

We're dealing with a 550.

If you haven't got it yet, if you have some old clutch "guts" then the solution is at hand. Pop-rivet an old driven plate to an old friction plate, now the hub and basket are locked together. You can add a pop-riveted-on handle, or use something to wedge between the basket and case to stop it from turning. Much easier than trying to stop the hub alone, more mechanical advantage.