1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Exhaust pipe question

Discussion in 'Hangout Lounge' started by BruceB, Nov 3, 2014.

1. BruceB

BruceB Active Member

Polished my exhaust pipes to remove spot rust by using water and aluminium foil. Worked great, shined like new. Here is the question, what, or is there, a coating or "wax" that can be applied to the exhaust pipes that will not burn off and prevent rust will normal maintenance?

2. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

Short of having the pipes ceramic coated, or re-chromed, you'll just have to clean the rust off occasionally.

3. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

I use Mother's liquid Chrome Polish; it doesn't seem to burn off as the pipes are uber-easy to clean up after I get caught in the rain. It's also virtually completely non-abrasive unlike most chrome polishes.

You do realize the "aluminum" foil (OK, but it's a low-grade alloy) didn't actually remove anything, right? You just really just rubbed and burnished some of it into the rusted areas so now it's shiny.

4. chacal

chacal Moderator Moderator Supporting Vendor Premium Member

Actually, I think the technical explanation is that the rust is actually converted back into its base substance:

Oxides are the key:

Cleaning: Rust is basically oxidized metal or, in other words, metal that has taken on extra oxygen atoms. As heat is generated by the friction of rubbing the aluminum foil on the chrome, a portion of the aluminum will oxidize to produce aluminum oxide. Aluminum has a higher reduction potential (i.e. a tendency take on electrons and in the process reduce or break itself down) than the chrome, and will therefore leech oxygen atoms away from any rust on the chrome surface which changes the chemical properties of the rust and breaks it down.

Polishing: Aluminum oxide is harder than steel, and the microscopic grains of aluminum oxide produced during the cleaning process creates a fine metal polishing compound which, mixed with the water you added, creates a paste that smoothes and polishes the chrome surface.

In English: How it works

A common way to clean a rusted chrome surface such as a fender is to use a fine steel wool. However, when you use this method you have to use a lot of elbow grease and you still end up with a slightly dull surface with some amount of scratching not to mention the messy 'dust' left over from the steel wool. That's because you are physically scraping off the rust.

>>> When you use the aluminum foil method you are dissolving the rust chemically so you don't need to rub nearly as hard and since the aluminum foil is softer than the chrome, you are left with few if any scratches. This method also allows you to get the rust out of some minor pitting without having to dig into the surface.

The aluminum oxide that is created by friction when you rub the surface of the chrome leeches the rust away and when combined with the water you added creates it's own polishing compound so you end up with a clean, smooth, shiny surface.

MrScrambler likes this.
  5. BruceB

BruceB Active Member

Anybody here use Scottoiler 365? Not on the pipes per say, but on the other areas of the bike.

6. ADragonsTail

ADragonsTail Member

I tried the aluminium foil in water on the front guard of my XS850 as a trial before using it on my XJ650 Seca muffler. It didn't reduce the rust and scratched the chrome. What have a done wrong?

7. FtUp

FtUp Well-Known Member

that is interesting, I once worked for a junk dealer/second hand dealer who dealt mostly with marine stuff, he would spray stuff down with what he called a "pickling solution" of kerosene and motor oil to prevent corrosion.

FU

Last edited: Mar 1, 2015
  8. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

ADragonsTail, if any flakes of chrome came off and were rubbed around, chrome will scratch chrome.
    if while you rubbed it, you got black stuff on the foil, that was aluminum oxide, same as wet/dry sandpaper, it scratches chrome too
    i can't see how doing that can't scratch it up

9. hogfiddles

hogfiddles XJ-Wizard, Host-Central NY Carb Clinic Moderator Premium Member

Personally, I'm NOT sold on the aluminum foil thing..............................