1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

What are some great bikes you've ridden?

Discussion in 'Other Motorcycles' started by elGato, Sep 14, 2014.

1. elGato

elGato Member

Hey!

Lately I've been thinking a lot about a new bike. I'd like to turn my XJ into some sort of a project and move into the current century! A lot has changed, and need something much more reliable. I like bikes that are unique, but ride-able. Need something with some more power, and definitely like to tour. I don't need anything with too much storage because I tour just fine on my XJ, and I'm fairly tall.

I really like HD's V Rod. I really like the look and the heritage behind the bike, and the motor is very reliable. Although I love the 240mm rear tire, I know it will not handle as well as many other bikes, especially with forward controls. I also heard that there is a risk of dragging exhaust around the corners.

Another bike I like is the Ninja 1000. Still a sport bike at heart, but the pegs a lower, and the handlebars are higher for a more upright seeing position. There's a bit more technology on this bike than the Harley, and it's highly rated. I worry about comfort on this one. I love the hard bags.

BMW k1200 RT is also pretty cool. I'm not a huge fan of it's styling but it seems to be a great bike, offers more storage and comfort that the ninja. Much less unique and it is pretty expensive.

So what have you ridden that is sweet? I'm completely open minded!

Thanks,
    Gato

Ray likes this.
  2. Notoriusfastguy

Notoriusfastguy Member

Gato
    If its out there, I've rode it!
    I've been fortunate as a Racer to have a local reputation that gets me rides on just about anything I ask to ride, a great relationship with the Dealershipe doesn't hurt either.
    Now you looking for "whats sweet".
    That's going to be different for every Rider because of, use, size, ego, ergo's, and yes finance. So here is my standard advice package to those asking before buying a new bike:

Are you a LICENSED Racer?
    If not the difference between this years fastest and second or third fastest is going to be beyond your abilities to use. Even on the track it's going to take a Pro Racer pushing hard to reveal the differences. So on the street, performance is irrelevant anywhere but in a straight line.
    Ditto brakes and cornering clearance.
    Is Bike A cheaper than Bike B? Apples to apples pricing runs relatively close on MOST bikes of similar design.
    So, how do YOU determine what to buy?
    List these:
    Intended uses
    Most common to least common
    1 Commuting
    2 Touring
    3 Track days
    4 style accessory
    Now narrow that down to cost. Seriously, what can you afford? What's out of your budget?
    Cut that down to what's attractive to you(seriously! Who wants an ugly bike?)
    Now, go look at the bikes you like, and sit on them. For like a 1/2 hour! See if it's comfortable, if it fits you. Now go home and do research for potential problems with that model.
    Realize that in the last 10 years there has'nt been a single bad Bike built. The worst Bikes being built now are fantastic. Buy a mix of what you need, can afford and what you want.

Or

Do what I did,,,
    Ignore the above advice and blindly buy what moves your soul! Damn the logic full steam ahead!
    [​IMG]

I haven't regretted either a single time(although my wallet still aches) if it moves your soul, money isn't important!
    Now to your question, I love the two above for different reasons although they are very similar. But you can't travel on either. I rode a 600 Burgman, that traveled very well, but would ruin your street cred. Love both of our GSXR's for comfort AND traveling. The Seca is a great commuter as I think some of the restorations will be. But if I had to pick one bike ever, for an all around, maybe the Suzuki SV-1000, comfortable torquey roomy dead solid reliable.
    Or maybe,,,,

Ray and xHondaHack like this.
  3. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

Cushman Eagle, two speed transmission, centrifugal clutch, suicide shift and hi/lo foot clutch, one cylinder.......pure class

Jetfixer and Ray like this.
  4. burger

burger Member

Notoriusfastguy Love that Ducati and the RC51!

Honestly I really like my 03 gsxr. I love leaning way into turns on a sportbike and having more power than my maxim.

The older sportbikes are fairly comfortable, all of my friends with newer bikes are jealous of how comfortable my seat is and the massive amount of storage under my passenger seat. I can go 150 miles before I start to feel uncomfortable.

Ray likes this.
  5. wizard

wizard Active Member

1931 550cc New Hudson, side valve & tank shift. (field tracks only)

6. XJOE550

XJOE550 Active Member

2006 GIXER 1000R. Seemed comfortable enough for me for the short ride I took below. You can see the riding stance is not too bad. Not as comfortable as my KZ or XJ, but they don't go 200 mph either :D. Having said that, I think I only took it up to 60.

!cid_F351F166-F153-422D-BB07-600189CDEB74.jpg

Ray likes this.
  7. markie

markie Member

[​IMG]

Sorry about the photo quality - it came from the negative. I was 17 when I owned the Gt550 triple. The expansion chambers very VERY noisy!

8. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

Still riding it. My had-it-since-new, all original 1974 Norton Commando 850...

[​IMG]

Jetfixer, Steve M. and Ray like this.
  9. Daithi

Daithi Member

I have a couple of bikes that fit the bill for modern confort, brakes, Handling etc. There are so many good choices out there and these bikes can do almost anything from commuting to mild scratching to touring. I currently have a first gen Fazer 1000 and 600 which are terrific all round bikes and hard to fault. I also have a Kawa ZRX1200 which is a terrific musclebike that can do pretty much anything the Fazer 1000 can do, though it has a little less wind protection and no centerstand. Bullet proof motor which I have taken all over the USA when i lived there with his bike. Another superb sport tourer is my `86 FJ1200. Its like a big Seca 750 with far better wind protection and tons of torque. These are great value and go forever. Handling and braking are more than good enough for most ``normal`` road use. My final bike is more focused, an `08 R1, but I did put higher bars on it and lower pegs, and its fine for trips where I live, but its a bit too focused for more all round duites, though it can do them if required. Its happiest going fast and its all too easy to get carried away. !!!

10. XJOE550

XJOE550 Active Member

Hey everyone, the GIXXER in my above post is for sale and heading down my way and should be here by the end of next week. My nephew is sending it down to sell it here instead of Wisconsin. If anybody is interested let me know and I shall get you the particulars. I know he just spent mucho bucks having it serviced at his local Suzuki dealer. I shall post sale info in the "Other Motorcycles" section once I find everything about it. I don't want to post in the "For Sale, Trade/Swap, Wanted" section since I don't want to clutter it up with no-XJ postings. Hey elGato, maybe this is a good fit for you, LOL.

11. Andyam5

Andyam5 Member

Best modern bikes I've ridden? Tuono or Speed Triple, both are brilliant machines, no question

12. tcoop

tcoop Active Member

I have not ridden anything newer that 83... So with that said, I like my XS11oo and the XJ1100's. Plenty of power and handles OK (it's lacking compared to sports bikes) once you get used to them. I an ride them long distance or just commuting to work. For really long rides My Venture is very comfortable and handles well for a big bike. Once you go through the bikes reliability is not a problem, just regular maintenance is all that is needed.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Ray likes this.
  13. Matt Zehner

Matt Zehner New Member

My brother has a Ducati and I have two - one Yamaha and another Harley. I love all the three bikes. Different bike, different styles is what I experience.

14. Bryan Nill

Bryan Nill New Member

The most grin factor: The 97 Buell S1 which I rode for 15 years
    The most stop dead and stare at: The 92 Buell RS1200
    The happy commuter: The 02 Triumph Trophy 1200

15. Ray

Ray New Member

Hey Markie, I tried to clean up your pic in "paint" a bit, for your archives. I'm not a wiz with computers but I tweeked it a bit to try and enhance it. So many of our old photos disappear or get destroyed over the years. Some pictures clean up better than others... I gave it a shot.... At least you can screencap and save this to your desktop to hold you over until your grandchild or a neighborhood kid gets on the computer with more skills and does a better job of repairing the image.

cafe b.png

16. Ray

Ray New Member

Great idea for a thread Gato.
    We all come from such different backgrounds and experiences here with the hub of the wheel in our lives being our XJ's.
    For me bikes have always been for traveling. Drinking in as much of the countryside as I can before I shuffle off. lol I'd rather go far than fast.
    I drifted and painted for years along the way. When the cold winds came I'd find a job ... any job and hunker down for the winter. Save my bread,
    fix up the bike for the next season and paint a few canvas's. Then I'd quit and go ride again. I've had just about every job. lol
    Garbage man, dish washer, factory worker, truck driver, roughneck, high steel, grain elevators, construction, demolition, zoo keeper, etc etc.
    I would just make enough to survive so I could live, ride and paint. This also goes a long way in explaining why I struggle with motorcycle mechanics
    so much. Art is on the opposite lobe of the brain from mechanics so doing a complete rebuild for me would be like you guys trying to paint a portrait.
    Still, I learn fast if I can see the work being done in person so I'll be watching any XJ repair tutorial videos that pop up here.
    Yes BMW's are ugly bikes but they go and go and go. lol
    My 69 R 600 was a blast. Top speed 63 mph. Yes it was scruffy but so was I. I rode it to the arctic one summer many moons ago.

1969 bmw R 600 bike small.jpg

Bigfitz ... Love the Snorten Norten. I'll bet it's your pride and joy. My old 72 Bonny

1972 Triumph 650 Bonniville.jpg

My eyes are too fuzzy these days to turn out any art work but I use to make the brushes dance the way you guys
    make the wrenches dance!
    A different life.

Cottage small.jpg

Jetfixer and Alan63 like this.
  17. saftie

saftie Well-Known Member Premium Member

Check out the new scrambler ducati. I only test rode it but would have traded my current bike for it in a heart beat.
    My all time favorite that I owned is the Buell xb. Small and nimble, lots of power and easy to work on. Should I find a buyer for my MV, I'd buy one the very next day.
    I also had a 250 CBR. Loved how easy it was to ride but it lacked the power and I sold it after only 200 miles. And having to constantly shift gears was annoying. This being said, it makes a great second bike for small errands.
    I currently own an MV Agusta. Love love love it, but it is not a commuter bike and the area I live in I not the best environment to have a bike like this.

18. wizard

wizard Active Member

19. saftie

saftie Well-Known Member Premium Member

Ray likes this.
  20. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

Honda Z50.
    It was the fastest thing on two wheels in 1974 ( I thought so anyway).
    [​IMG]