1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Plasti Dip

Discussion in 'XJ Modifications' started by zilu, Sep 23, 2013.

1. zilu

zilu New Member

Has anyone tried it on their bike? I was going to give it matte black paint job but I am too lazy to do all of the prep work. I saw people are plasti dipping and looks really good, you can peel it off if you ever need to. I am just curious as to how durable it is. Here is a sample picture I found online: [​IMG]

2. ColoradoDan

ColoradoDan Active Member

Hi Zilu, never heard of it but I am watching this post in case someone has good info. I like the idea, sounds like something I could handle

3. Faction.Arms

Faction.Arms Member

Here's a link to a forum with many pages of argument over the ease of removal, and quality of surface finish after sitting in the sun too long.
    LINK

I have no personal experience with painting vehicles in the stuff, but I use plasti-dip and or spray for other uses, and I love it.

Ive also seen some pretty cool looking cars that have a rubbery satin sheen, something you can't really get with standard auto paints.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Just my two cents.

4. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

i used it on a rifle stock, the grip area wore smooth and it seems to scuff easily but overall it's durable but oil will stain it. that peal it off part might not happen, at least on wood

5. AndrewT009

AndrewT009 New Member

6. zilu

zilu New Member

Thanks guys, it looks like it's more trouble than its worth since you have to constantly repair nicks from road debris. This may be useful for preserving fresh paint jobs. I think it will be worth the prepping and using real paint for the long run in terms of cost and maintenance.

Maybe a better alternative is using vinyl wrapping? Like the type you use a squeegee to push the bubbles out and use a heat gun to shrink and make it fit around curves. Like what this guy did here.

7. Heyitsme

Heyitsme Member

Plastidip works good. I used it on my wheels (on the mustang) and on my gauges on my xj700 maxim. It holds up good. here are 2 tips when using it

1. Spray 2 thick coats. thin coats don't peel off well, when you remove it.
    2. Peel your tape off WHILE ITS STILL WET.

That's about all you need to know

8. zap2504

zap2504 Member

From the site FAQ:

Is Plasti Dip® chemical resistant?
    Plasti Dip® protective coating has excellent resistance to acids, alkaline, and most common household chemicals. However, it is best to test this before going ahead with your application. Plasti Dip® does have limited resistance to petroleum based products.

Maybe a test is in order? :eek:

9. maverickbr77

maverickbr77 Member

Zap check read Andrews link they did a nice set of tests. Gasoline, Brake Fluid, Gear Oil, Goof Off, Synthetic Blend Motor Oil, ATF, heat. then retested chems after heat treating the plastidip.

10. Quixote

Quixote Active Member

I did that on my bike - worked great. I had it done at a shop but it's doable on your own. The tip is get a friend or two to help while you do it - extra hands pulling in different directions to keep it tight while you apply the heat, that's the trick.

Here's a link to the pictures and discussion: Vinyl Wrap

11. burger

burger Member

I know guy that have used it on car rims and liked it. A friend of mine used it on his pegs and clutch cover and a few other parts. His feet keep rubbing it off so he redoes it often untill he finally gets it powder coated. Iv thought about using it on my bike. Nice to test and see if you want a particular part of your bike black or the other colors they have

12. RangerG

RangerG Member

I just sprayed white Plastidip on a set of saddlebags for my FZ1. The left side cover on my 550 Seca had suffered damage from a leaking petcock that discolored the paint. I had tried touching it up but it looked shitty. I taped over the emblem and decal, hit it with 4 coats of plastidip,(can ran out) then one coat of the pearlizer. Looks a lot better. We'll have to see how the saddlebags and cover stand up to the test of time.

[​IMG]

13. nachtfrost

nachtfrost New Member

I've been thinking about doing this and the price is decent even if just to see what the colors would look like. I'm about to order some white and do the tank, front fender and tall piece. Will post the results when I get it done!

RangerG - that cover looks really good. Can we get some of the FZ1 bags?

14. BrosefStalin

BrosefStalin Member

Would like to also emphasize the importance of thick coats and pulling tape immediately.

Also, it's not fuel resistant. It will eat the rubber immediately. Other then that it's not bad.

15. tcorbitt060813

tcorbitt060813 New Member

I did my tank , headlight bucket, and gauge buckets with it. looked great till I spilled fuel down the side of the tank.

16. Skwerly

Skwerly Member

OP, yer better off doing prepwork over a few days or weeks, in your spare time, than to fool around with peel coat on something that will be contacted by fuel.

tcorbitt060813 likes this.
  17. Orange-n-Black

Orange-n-Black Well-Known Member

First off, If you are too lazy to do the prepwork to paint, then old bikes are not for you.:D I would think the vinyl wrap would be better.
    Anyone that would pasti-coat a Lambo needs to be slapped.:eek:

18. BaldWonder

BaldWonder Innocent Bystander

I mean, god, think of the weight that would add. You might as well add a trailer hitch and go camping.

Orange-n-Black likes this.
  19. RangerG

RangerG Member

I would agree that you should try to remove any tape ASAP. I ended up using 8 coats of white and 2 coats of pearlizer on the FZ1 (Kappa) saddlebags. The cases were black to start with. I wasn't prepared to re-mask the areas so I carefully scored the edge of the tape when I removed it. The Seca side cover only took 4 coats of white and 1 pearlizer as it was white already. I masked around the handle of the saddlebags and the Kappa logo. I masked the Seca emblem and decal on the sidecover.
    The third photo shows the saddlebag sitting on the FZ seat. Not quite as bright a white.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I had a couple quotes for vinyl wrapping the saddlebags. $300.00 !!!!!!! Plastidip cost me $70.00 CDN (we get screwed on prices up here!) I'm not sure how the plastidip will hold up on a tank where it gets gas spilled on it and a persons knees rub.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2015