1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Hey again... '81 XJ550 Maxim "Running Like a scolded dog!"

Discussion in 'Hangout Lounge' started by kboehringer, May 11, 2015.

1. kboehringer

kboehringer Active Member

XJ Folks,
    This is a sort-of re-hello as a year or so back I discovered this forum, read a bunch of your posts, asked a question or two, and set my XJ on the "back burner" for a while.

As a teenager in the late 70's I worked in a Yamaha dealership in N.E. Pennsylvania as a mechanic before entering the U.S. Navy. I loved the: quality, design, style, and speed of the various Yamaha models and felt the XJ & XS bikes were head & shoulders above all the other street bikes of that era! I still feel that way 100%! When I found this XJ with basically all of it's original components, in fairly decent condition I had to grab it up..........

I purchased this bike for about $500 a couple years ago. I've purchased a few new and used items on Evil-Bay and repainted her with some readily available Martinique Blue (my '78 Trans Am's factory color). The carbs were a complete disaster as the previous owner had attempted repairs without the necessary tools (or skills). Some of the wiring was also screwed up and the fuse holders rusted away to be replaced with modern mini fuses. Other than the paint & fuses she's original with 24k on the odometer.

I finally dedicated the necessary time to getting it right and the bike runs like an absolute scolded dog!
    It took my middle-aged brain a little while to remember all the tricks and secrets to tuning one of these since I haven't worked for a Yamaha dealer in 30+ years......:mad: I now drive the XJ to work once a week (a 63 mile round-trip) and love every minute of it!

Below are a few pics of my 34 year old toy.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Respectfully,
    Kurt
    Peachtree City, Georgia

Stumplifter likes this.
  2. FtUp

FtUp Well-Known Member

I remember your hello post a year or so ago. glad to see a classic lookin' good. love that garage too!

FU

3. chacal

chacal Moderator Moderator Supporting Vendor Premium Member

Good job, young man! Love the bike that matches the Pontiyak, will make for a nice sight at car shows, etc.

4. kboehringer

Thanks for the replies.
    The other old bike (1970 Honda Trail 70) is also Martinique Blue - LOL:D

I've had sooooo much fun with the XJ550 that I am scouring Craigslist on a daily basis looking for another one! I'm most interested in finding an XJ1100 Maxim (or XS 1100 SPECIAL) so I can do a little highway driving. I'm an experienced biker but I'm a little skiddish about a 550 on an interstate highway - :eek: I also took my wife for a little ride the other day and she LOVED it.....The 550 is just a little to small for two old farts to enjoy together. :(

I have some leftover PPG Metallic Green from a re-paint of my daughter's car, and some leftover PPG Metallic Argent Silver/Gray from my TA's Snowflake Rims. I promise the next XJ (or XS) will NOT be '78 GM Martinique Blue - LOL:rolleyes:

Respectfully,
    KURT

[​IMG]

5. MattiThundrrr

MattiThundrrr Not a guru

I was gonna say that the bike looks good in your living room, til I saw the T/A. Then I realized that your garage looks better than my living room. Damn. When can my Seca move in?

Stumplifter and tcoop like this.
  6. kboehringer

Thank you for all the compliments on my garage. I'm pretty happy with it! I can watch the tube or listen to my surround sound Polk audio system while I work making wrench-turning a whole lot more fun! There is PLENTY of room for a couple more Yamahas.
    I once owned a SECA 650 (Silver w/Blue Striping) If yours is the same, I'll make a special spot for it!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Respectfully,
    KURT

7. lostboy

lostboy Well-Known Member

Hay Kurt what is the finish on the floor?

8. kboehringer

VCT Tiles (12" x 12")

I considered a number of finishes or tile varieties before settling on the VCT. VCT is the tile you find; in the car dealer's showroom, local grocery store, home improvement centers, commercial buildings. VCT is fairly inexpensive, easy to apply, and can be done a little at a time if necessary (I did it piece-meal). If a tile gets blemished it can be easily pulled up and replaced in a few minutes (hasn't been necessary yet). I use small rubber sheets to protect the floor from jackstands. Otherwise, it's absolutely perfect. Easy to clean and maintain and with a coat of ordinary household floor wax looks really great.

FYI.... My buddy put down some cheapo interlocking tiles in his garage. Looks cool but is IMPOSSIBLE to use a floor jack on and slick as an ice skating rink when even slightly moist. I've had terrible luck with paint even the really expensive stuff is tough to get high performance from.... VCT was comparable in price to 3+ gallons of the expensive two-part Epoxy Floor Paint.

The entire garage cost me about $400 including: tile, adhesive, a couple minor tools, about two weekends of work....

Kurt

9. MattiThundrrr

MattiThundrrr Not a guru

Nope... mine is an 82 750 red with one blue side cover. It'd look like a dirty dog in the Queen's living room if you brought it into your garage.
    My garage is a dirty pink mess, and I still keep the XJ covered. BTW, who paints a garage pink?