1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

wrong plug caps and still running fine? (550 seca)

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by seca550RK, Jun 3, 2015.

1. seca550RK

seca550RK Member

I checked the resistance on my plug caps and realized the PO had installed 5k caps instead of the 10k chacal has listed. I got the bike with the recommended ngk plugs and replaced them with the same. I've put on about 2k miles and it has been running fine. A little on the lean side but I thought that this was due to the 4-1 w/ stock filter and not having a re-jet.
    Any ideas on how this is affecting the bike? I would think i would be running worse. I noticed I had 4k on one cap and that cylinder was 50 degrees cooler on the exhaust header when checked with an infrared thermometer. I figure 5k would be doing a whole lot more. Am I missing something? The secondary coil checks out at 11k.

2. RonWagner

RonWagner Member

If it is running good you are probably fine. Essentially you will have a hotter spark with a shorter duration. The coil has a set amount of energy in it and the lower resistance allows it to discharge faster.

3. seca550RK

seca550RK Member

Alright cool, I'll do a little research on that. Is it possible to buy just the resistors for the caps?

4. RonWagner

RonWagner Member

Step 1. Make sure 10K is the factory resistance. If it is and you want to change to 10K you may be able to use resistance wires to get an additional 5K. Otherwise get 10K caps. I doubt you could replace the resistors in the cap.
    Good luck.

5. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

There are two types of resistor caps. If you see a slot when you look into the cap, then the resistors are replaceable. The retainers unscrew and the resistors will drop out.

6. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

If it ain't broke don't fix it

7. seca550RK

seca550RK Member

It looks like mine aren't replaceable, I think I'll get a new 5k cap just so the resistance is the same across the board.
    Anyone think the hotter spark would keep the plugs a little whiter? I still haven't done a proper color tune but the plugs don't pick up much color at 2.75 turns out.

8. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

The plugs won't pick up much color with modern fuels; not until they have quite a few miles on them.