1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

yx600 motor in a 550?

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by darren ditmar, Jun 16, 2015.

1. darren ditmar

darren ditmar Member

i was the bottom end of one piston and fried the other rings. and yes i understand what everyone is saying i didnt treat the first two motors very well ( i got to put about 8000 miles on one and 6000 on the other) but im wanting to move to a bigger motor so im not winding it up all the time

2. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

The size of the engine has nawt to do with the RPM range or where the engine makes its power. Engine design is far more involved than that. I can understand the desire to have a low-revving, torquey engine (steam-tractor engines are among my favorite things to watch work); but how high the engine revs is not by itself an indicator of longevity or reliability, nor is displacement.

What sort of riding do you do the most of? Maybe we can help steer you toward some choices that suit what you need/want.

3. darren ditmar

darren ditmar Member

i ride quicker than i should be i dont cruise much its more of im getting where im going as quick as i can

4. FtUp

FtUp Well-Known Member

I sold my radian engine to a guy who had an fj600. he said number 4 cyl blew the whole bottom corner off the case on his fj. but in answer to your question about whether or not a yx600 engine will fit your 550, yes. that being said, you will want to use the carbs from the radian as well since they are jetted differently and the 600 is a non yics engine. the carbs also have some added vents that the 550 doesn't have. if you can get the 600 exhaust too that would be a bonus but not entirely necessary since the 550 exhaust will bolt on.

FU

5. darren ditmar

darren ditmar Member

but my 550 carbs should fit in the meantime right?

6. FtUp

FtUp Well-Known Member

they will, but they won't have the proper jets. and you will likely burn down your new engine faster than the last two.

FU

7. darren ditmar

darren ditmar Member

is that from it being lean?

8. darren ditmar

darren ditmar Member

can i jet the carbs bigger?

9. FtUp

FtUp Well-Known Member

yes and yes. if you can find out what jets the radian has, then you could conceivably fit the 550 carbs with the same size jets and it should work. I say should, because I have not tried it myself. remember the 600 is a NON yics engine, so there may be other differences that I am not aware of.

FU

10. FtUp

FtUp Well-Known Member

one other thing, the early engines had the same charging and ignition systems as the 550. I am not sure what year it happened, but the charging system got integrated with the ignition, so the wiring would be different, so you want to stick with an 86 engine and it should be plug n play.

FU

11. darren ditmar

darren ditmar Member

awsome it is an 86

12. darren ditmar

darren ditmar Member

will the motor fit under the stock tank?

13. k-moe

14. a100man

a100man Well-Known Member

I'm still doing this:rolleyes:..

Physical size teh Radian engine fits fine and as said the ignition and charging system are very similar to the 550. The TCI wiring is different though so be careful if you plan to use the existing TCI (should still work but connectors might not match exactly). Also there is not mechanical rev counter on the Radian so you will have to do without or try and rig up an electronic one (I have an FZ one I hope to try soon). As for the carbs I have some BS32s I am trying out BUT I cannot get it to run except on ether. I have them out again now for another clean, but they are a b*tch to get in and out. They're quite a bit bigger that the 28s and you need the engine mounting rubbers and the airbox rubbers form an FJ600 (pre 91 XJ600 in Europe) this make for hardly any jiggle room. I've been rubbing my hand and wrist raw trying to move the rubbers from inside the airbox - it all fits but it ain't easy and I've got weedy small hands.

I'm hoping that this time i might get it to run - another try out this weekend. I have been neglecting the XJ of late sonot been hanging here for a while - been getting to grips with a cheap FZ750..

15. k-moe

The key to any engine swap (if you want it to run with a minimum of work) is to get the carbs and the whole ignition system along with the engine. A whole donor bike makes it even easier.

16. darren ditmar

darren ditmar Member

ok so i wont have a tach then?
    and if i need to reuse a plug and just rewire it i can do that ( i hope )
    i guess i wil find out on friday when i start to try and do this

17. a100man

Absolutely - better still a known running donor bike. I got the Radian engine by mistake. It was ebayed as an FJ/XJ600 engine but guess what ? the guy couldn't wire it up to his XJ600 ! for 50 quid I took it anyway and for any extra 25 quid he sold me the 32 carbs although I think teh Radian should have 30s, a tenner bought me the TCI. My main problem I think is unfamiliarity with these CV carbs, cleaning choke circuit setting up etc.. Fingers crossed I have made a decent fist of it this time - I'll let you know.

18. a100man

If you search my threads theres one about the TCI wiring I think..

19. darren ditmar

darren ditmar Member

ok ya im getting the motor from a shop near me and they said that it does run im getting it for 75$ and ill see f they have a tci while im there. and yes they are supposed to have 30mm but i have 28mm and i checked by puting some 550 carbs on it and they fit into the boots. i checked with another shop and he said to shim the needle with some washers since im using smaller carbs

20. darren ditmar

darren ditmar Member

well go the motor in and running used the 550 timing plate so that i wouldnt have to redo the wiring harness but i think with the 550 exhuast it is chocking it out and is to much back pressure