1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Going to look at an 82 xj1100. looking for advise on what to look for

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Cudaguy, Sep 24, 2015.

1. Cudaguy

Cudaguy Member

I owned an xj1100 brand new in the 80's, put a few thousand miles on it and was forced to sell it. Found one on a couple hours north, owner claiming 10 k miles, minor paint issues, runs and rides fine. Claims it will start and be cold blooded til it warms up, then it would go for hundreds of miles with zero issues. We'll see.
    The help I seek is what should I be looking for or concerned about?
    What possible common issues can arise, and typically when do they show up?
    Based on this description and lets assume it is accurate, what might it's fair value be?

Thanks in advance for any help offered

Cudaguy

2. chacal

chacal Moderator Moderator Supporting Vendor Premium Member

The infamous "2nd gear issues" are the typical nemesis of the 1100 engines:

TRANSMISSION:

Hopefully, you're reading this section of the catalog just out of intellectual (or morbid) curiosity, and not because you have a transmission problem.....which in fact, is pretty rare with these XJ series engines (except, perhaps, on the XJ1100 models). The trannies are pretty bulletproof, and many "shifting" problems or issues are really caused by worn or improperly adjusted clutch system components, shifter mechanism issues, or shifter drum (the infamous disintegrating primary chain guide problem).

However.........that's not to say that they are infallible, especially on very high-mileage or improperly operated or maintained bikes. Indeed, bikes that jump out of gear, or that won't stay in gear or even go into gear, may be suffering from worn gear "dogs" or "slots" which, taken together, are what act to synchronize and "lock" two gears together while in operation, and thus can cause all sorts of problems when worn.......due to rapid shifting, forceful shifting, or extreme high-torque shifting events.

If you've determined that your transmission problems are caused by gear or fork issues, and feel up to the task, then we can still provide you with some of these GEARS, SHIFT FORKS, and HARDWARE that you'll need. Be aware that while you can replace some of these items with the engine still in the bike, it's a tricky proposition, at best. You really should resign yourself to the fact that the engine needs to come out, the crankcase halves need to be split, and as long as you're doing that level of surgery, you might as well do a partial or full engine rebuild at the same time.............

To add a little more confusion to the whole mix, when you have these types of problems, although they typically manifest themselves on 1st gear (won't go into it) or 2nd gear (won't go in, stay in, or jumps out of), it's not always a problem with the actual "1st Gear" or "2nd Gear" set. Because of the way that these transmissions operate, it may be that the problem is actually caused by the 4th GEAR itself, since the "slots" are on the 1st Wheel Gear and the "dogs" are on the 4th Pinion Gear.......and the interaction of those two gears is what actually puts the transmission in "1st gear".

Confused yet? We certainly hope so, it means you're paying attention! For further information, we suggest you read this extremely well-written article.....although written by and for XS1100 owners, the exact same principles and circumstance apply to all of the XJ-series transmissions:

http://www.xs11.com/xs11-info/tech-tips/repairs/33/107-transmission-overview.html

Further comprehension can be achieved by reviewing this pictorial guide about how XJ transmissions operate:

http://www.xs11.com/xs11-info/tech-...11-transmission-pictures-and-explanation.html

3. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

old tires look for cracks, out of service date brake lines rebuild system every 4 years. ask for any service records, fuse box still glass? do you know how to use a multi meter?
    check the charging voltage. you could ohm out the coils. still have the air box or did he cool it up and put pods on it?
    you will be cleaning the carbs
    do you have access to a compression tester do the test before you by
    problems usaly show up just after you buy it.

you can find specs here
    The Information Overload Hour

TECH TOPIC: The Real Costs of Maintenance

IN THE CHURCH OF CLEAN

take it for a 100 mile ride to test it out if that,s the claim he is making. its called put up or shut up, ask him what issues arise after 100's of miles.
    theres gotta be a reason he is selling it besides money

4. mlew

mlew Well-Known Member

What its worth will also depend on the physical condition of the bike. Paint, chrome and polished aluminum needs to be nice for a XJ11 to be priced over 1000. A really nice one can go to 2500 or more. If it looks good and needs carb work, brakes and tires then 1000 is a good starting point. Post a few pics if you have them. Most likely it will need tires and brake work, you can easily invest 400 in that and another 150 in the carbs. keep that in mind,

5. Cudaguy

Cudaguy Member

Update 10/1/2015
    The owner, who was out of town since Labor day and would be back home next week said " so don't worry, no one else can look at it before you do. "
    New message : "Just heard from a family member who wants it and so I have to cancel our showing."

I am bummin'

6. MN-Maxims

MN-Maxims St. Paul Minnesota

How bad do you really want one?

7. Cudaguy

Cudaguy Member

I'm like everyman. I want the perfect one for a song.
    But seriously, I'm looking for a fair deal and if it falls in my price range, I'd be interested. Tell me what cha got or what your thinking