1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

New "Pool" Idea

Discussion in 'Hangout Lounge' started by k-moe, Feb 4, 2016.

?

Should we start an airbox pool for members who insist on switching to pods?

1. Yes, an exchange pool.

9 vote(s)
    31.0%
  2. Yes, a nominal fee pool.

10 vote(s)
    34.5%
  3. No. People should research and plan accordingly, or suffer with the consequences.

10 vote(s)
    34.5%
  1. MN-Maxims

MN-Maxims St. Paul Minnesota

Len,
    I get what you are saying but if you look a a Jegs Catalog you will see aftermarket quarter panels for GM cars, not just patch panels but full quarter panels. Cheaper than the OEM panels you could buy from GM at the time. How is it possible that GM isn't all over these guys like a short overcoat over that. One of the most popular cars they made and they have aftermarket panels that look like the full GM panels. Just curious to see what your take is on that.

Thanks

2. chacal

chacal Moderator Moderator Supporting Vendor Premium Member

I'll bet they are licensed and/or the MANUFACTURER (rather than the retailer) is licensed by GM...........

k-moe likes this.
  3. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

Replacement parts can either be licensed, or do not need to be licensed because not everything can be trademarked/patented/copyrighted. A logo or insignia however can be trademarked indefinitely. So making a replacement handlebar-mount cover would be perfectly fine, but making the same cover with the Yamaha logo will get you in serious legal hot water if you sell enough to get Yamaha's attention, unless you do one of three things: produce them under-license from Yamaha, Make just enough sets for your personal bikes (you're covered by fair-use here), or give them away for free. The latter can even get you in legal trouble if Yamaha chooses to contend that your product is inferior and damages the integrity of their brand in the marketplace, or that it harms their ability to profit from selling their own replacements (in many cases this is true even if they are not currently making new replacements so long as their claim to proteted-status is still legally valid, and they have not been so stupid as to claim that they have no intent of ever making any more of said parts).

If you want a real-world example of how easy it is for a brand to crush anyone who violates their protected properties, go shopping for a new Ferrari replica car. You won't find any (not any that are visually identical to an actual Ferrari), because Ferrari spent a decade-and-a-half litigating away every company that tried to replicate their produtcts.

Alternate spellings and spacings were mentioned in an earlier post. Lawyers are smart. Often-times alternate spellings and other modifications of a trademarked names or logos are also protected because it's relatively inexpensive to file for trademark protections of those alternate forms.

If you want to really understand how far companies will go to protect their intellectual property, read up on Disney and the number of cases where they have sought (and gained) the removal of unlicensed depictions of Disney characters that have been used for advertising, and non-advertising purposes by small businesses.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2016
    Wintersdark likes this.
  4. k-moe

Or that the parts are made by a OEM supplier to GM but sold under a seperate brand by way of a mutual-use agreement.

5. chacal

Could be, that would be clever marketing.......

6. chacal

Or try to use the word "Einstein" in any commercial products. Campbell's are sometimes referred to as "the soup Nazi's". And don't even ask about Mattel and their Barbie dolls..........

k-moe likes this.
  7. schmuckaholic

schmuckaholic Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

“Dad, these are just crappy knock offs!”

“I know a genuine Panaphonics when I see one. And look, here’s Magnetbox and Sorny!”

hogfiddles and k-moe like this.
  8. k-moe

Back towards the original topic:

Hey guys. What do you think about fitting octagional tires? They look so cool and would give better traction in the mud.

</sarcasm>

9. MN-Maxims

Yes got off topic my bad.

Back to air boxes. I have one for a 750 Maxim

10. k-moe

No worries. You provided an opportunity for me to subtly vent my frustrations. :)

11. MN-Maxims

I can say pods suck and you can't get them to work all the way through the rpm range.
    My vote is run the stock air box and your carbs will be happy and your engine will run like it's supposed to. I'm off the soap box now.
    Unless you figure out the fuel injection like SQLGUY and your engine will really be happy to have proper A/F ratio in any situation. Would be interesting to dyno and see what performance data comes back on his bike. Has to be better than original tests.

If I could only afford one I would do it. Carbs and parts from Len forever is my future.

I vote air box pool with a fee for maintenance and storage.

12. chacal

Carbs suck (that's their job). Pods just make engines more difficult to tune......

13. k-moe

Well... the carbs aren't really doing any of the sucking; they're just spraying liquid into the.....

14. chacal

A minor technical detail................:)

k-moe likes this.
  15. Wagy

Wagy Active Member

Wow, k-moe, I just read all the threads on air pods and it sounds like it will not ever work, is there any one out there that has used them on a maxim and is happy ?

16. hogfiddles

hogfiddles XJ-Wizard, Host-Central NY Carb Clinic Moderator Premium Member

No

17. k-moe

I'm sure lots of people are happy with their pods. A lot of people are happy drinking Hamms and Schitz too. Ultimately it all comes down to what your main goal is, and what compromises you are willing to make.

18. hogfiddles

hogfiddles XJ-Wizard, Host-Central NY Carb Clinic Moderator Premium Member

I was kidding.....

19. BaldWonder

BaldWonder Innocent Bystander

I have pods, and I'd be happy if I didn't have a starter that's on its way out. To be clear, that's not an endorsement of pods.

20. mc1oo1

mc1oo1 Member

BROUGHT TO YOU BY PODS