1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Buying a XJ550 - sorta

Discussion in 'Hangout Lounge' started by Dexter680, May 22, 2016.

1. Dexter680

Dexter680 New Member

Hey guys,

Looking for a project bike and came across an all original 83 XJ550 seca. 4000miles. Doesn't start.

I want to buy it but with it not starting, I have no idea what I'm getting into from a ride and performance perspective. I'm 1.87m tall and 92kg. Will the 550 be a useful bike to ride? I know it's not a superbike, but I don't want to be the slowest thing on the road either.

thanks

2. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

far from the slowest thing on the road does the 1/4 mile (.4023 KM) in 13 seconds(85+mph my speedo stops at 85mph) and top speed in about 20 seconds (113mph) I weigh a little more than you do. same height
    if you get it let me know I have a factory service manual and carb rebuild book I can upload for you no charge.
    here is a great wiring diagram for you
    http://www.frankjohansson.com/stuff/xj550/XJ550ElectricalDiagram.html

Last edited: May 22, 2016
    ecologito likes this.
  3. Dexter680

Dexter680 New Member

Sounds great, thanks! Ah alright yeah that performance seems pretty good for such a small bike. I'll pm you once I pick up the bike for that manual pls. I've never really worked on my own bikes aside from servicing modern sportsbikes, so this is going to be fun.

4. XJ550H

fun and all the support you need is on this site.
    Best of luck to you.

5. Dexter680

Dexter680 New Member

Thanks again.

Is there anyting specific on the bike I need to look for before purchasing?

6. MattiThundrrr

MattiThundrrr Not a guru

Stock airbox is waaaay easier to work with than individual intake cone filters aka pods. Plastic side covers are getting harder to find, and more expensive every day. With only 4000 miles, it should be fairly complete, but you never know. Can you post pictures? Then the resident experts will be able to help you with what's up.

7. Dexter680

Dexter680 New Member

xj550121.JPG xj55012.JPG xj5501.JPG This is it....

8. MattiThundrrr

MattiThundrrr Not a guru

Stock airbox is in place, right side cover (which is the rarest one) is there, that's good. 4 into one exhaust is aftermarket, that's a matter of personal taste. Is the inside of the tank rusty? It looks like a fun project to me, and the people here can guide you through the process of getting it right and new!

Stumplifter likes this.
  9. Dexter680

Dexter680 New Member

I have to drive 200km to go see the bike. Will check out the tank thanks. I doubt I'll keep it OEM, but I'll try to keep all the OEM bits together in case I ever sell the bike on later. Want to do a brat/cafe style build. Pity the bike is costing me $200 + 5 years licence fees, and the wheels I want are $900+ each... :eek:

10. Dexter680

Dexter680 New Member

My other option is an XJ750, but it has somewhat of a swoopy less angular triangle in the frame under the seat. Not sure if I like that...

11. Sodeju

Sodeju New Member

I have a 550 seca and my weight is a 100+kg. As long as i keep the revs up enough, it is pretty fast. I had plans to turn my bike into a cafe racer but i am glad i did not.
    These 550's are great bikes to work on.
    Get it clean and running first. I think you will like it as it is.

12. ecologito

ecologito Well-Known Member

You should do a compression test to figure out if the engine is viable.

Handlebar is not stock, missing front fairing. Check the date stamped on the brake lines, everything seems to be there.

13. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

The fairing was a U.S. only item.

14. XJOE550

XJOE550 Active Member

You can take a well charged portable battery jumper with you and a can of starting fluid. As long as it has oil and the engine is not seized, you should be able to start it for one or two seconds using the starting fluid. Just spray about 3 or 4 shots in each carburetor with the throttle wide open. Then crank it (with the throttle at least half open) and see if it runs. Always nice to hear a bike come to life. In addition to what has been suggested, I would also look at the bottom back end of the tank, on the sides, for rust. If you see rust, spots, you may want to push on it with a small screwdriver to make sure there is hard steal underneath. My project XJ550 SECA (I have one that is already on the road) came with holes back there under the paint. Purchased another tank from the bone yard and the same thing. I have found the steel used for the tank on this model so thinner than other bikes I've owned. Good used tanks for these bikes are rare and expensive. My road worthy SECA has some primary chain noise at idle. Above 1100 rpm it smooths out. That is another possible issue (if you want to call it that), but you won't be able to know until the bike is running and idling. Other than that, I love my SECA. Very nimble bike compared to my larger bike and still pretty quick. Nice change of pace and still offers excitement once you pass the 6000 rpm and hit its powerband. Once I get the second SECA running, I plan on using it as track day bike. Good luck.

15. Stumplifter

Stumplifter Well-Known Member

For the love of everything holy - keep the airbox!!!!

16. Kickaha

Kickaha Active Member Premium Member

No it wasn't, NZ models had them as well

17. Dexter680

Dexter680 New Member

called the seller this morning to collect the bike and he tells me he just sold it to someone else. This after we agreed I'm collecting today. Some people...

18. Dexter680

Dexter680 New Member

so with the xj750, can you get rid of that swooping part of the rear frame? I much prefer the look of the second bike's frame below...

xj750c.jpg

19. MattiThundrrr

MattiThundrrr Not a guru

It seems like that would be a lot of work just to change a slightly curved line to a straight line. Also, it seems as though this would weaken the frame right where you want strength. Also, you have the potential to cause some misalignment if the frame isn't square once you've replaced those tubes. To me, it's not worth the effort for such a small return.

20. XJ550H

the framework on the black bike looks like twisted wrought Iron under the seat . nice fab job by who ever did it