1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

1982 XJ650 sluggish

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by petudy, Jun 15, 2016.

1. petudy

petudy New Member

Hello everyone,
    I recently purchased an '82 XJ650 as my very first bike. I'm enjoying the handling and overall experience, but my top speed was 120 kmph on the freeway, which is very significantly lower than the stats I could find (~200kmph?).

I know the carbs were taken apart and cleaned last season by the previous owner as it had been sitting for a long time and wouldn't start, so I'm hesitant to point the finger there, any ideas of other common power loss?

One hint that I don't know what to think of: I noticed that in neutral, the throttle response is sluggish. RPMs increase slowly up to around 2k, then shoot fast and slow down again, then shoot up again at around 3k. Same goes for driving in first, acceleration is sluggish then picks up...

If anyone has tips of things I can do to restore some life to this bike, please let me know! Also let me know if you think the project is suitable for a noobie mechanic or would require professional help.

Thanks!

2. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

k-moe likes this.
  3. mrdawson

mrdawson Active Member

Carbs .... every time...
    Stock air box etc?

4. waldreps

waldreps Active Member

Take anything the previous owner says with a grain of salt. Even if they had good intentions, they may not have had the knowledge or skills to do the job correctly. Just assume it hasn't been done and do it yourself.

5. Lightcs1776

Lightcs1776 Active Member

Hey, petudy, welcome to the site. This is a great bunch of folks. The links XJ550H gave you will seem overwhelming. Take it in with deep breaths. I'm not much of a mechanic but these bikes are easy to learn on. Just take your time, ask questions, and before long you will have the bike moving along safely (most important).

A couple of important safety items to check are the brakes, including the lines and seals, and the rear brake shoes. The rear brake shoes can delamenate, making for a scary ride.

6. Jetfixer

Jetfixer Well-Known Member

Welcome....read alot of posts you will learn a great deal. On the upper right corner of the home page, xj4ever he sells all the new correct parts his service is fantastic.

7. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

consider this your first lesson in used bikes 101
    if you read that kind of backwards it says....it won't start....it sat for a long time....because he took the carbs apart
    no problem, you can fix it.

DrewUth, mrdawson and k-moe like this.
  8. rocs82650

rocs82650 Well-Known Member

Welcome aboard. This forum has all the info necessary to make your bike a safe road runner. A fist full of $ and a bit of your time is also required.

Gary H.

9. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

^^^THIS^^^

Lightcs1776 likes this.
  10. Jetfixer

Jetfixer Well-Known Member

Always check it yourself!!!

11. Toomanybikes

Toomanybikes Well-Known Member

Welcome to fellow Canuck
    As the boys have stated all the things to fix and check good luck and hope you are going faster soon