1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Epic Trip....Planning on Leaving Monday

Discussion in 'Hangout Lounge' started by patmac6075, Jun 19, 2016.

1. patmac6075

patmac6075 Active Member

Ok, so here's the story

Back in September of 2011 I picked up an '82 XJ750 Maxim...wasn't running, but was assured by the P.O. that it just needed a battery....having not ridden a motorcycle in nearly 30 years and knowing almost nothing about XJ's, but having gotten a killer deal....I jumped right in. All I wanted to do was get it running and ride it....and that's pretty much what my first post on this site said....that's when I ran into BigFitz....well, he (and quite a few other still active on this site) set me straight and impressed upon me the importance of proper motorcycle maintenance. Fast forward to the early part of last winter, I put this bike up for sale on this site and came to terms with another member, Ecologito...the only issue was, I live in Milwaukee and he lives in North Carolina...How do we get the bike delivered?

As I'm starting a new job just after the 4th., and currently driving my wife crazy...I figured, what the heck...why not saddle up and follow the front wheel down to N.C.?

So, that's the plan....have kept this bike in tip top condition, and have never had an issue going 1 hr or 10. I'm planning on leaving Milwaukee about 9:00a on Monday overnighting in Cincinnati (just over 6 hrs.), then making the push for Charlotte on Tuesday...I should arrive about 4:00p, let Jose inspect the bike, then get a ride to the car rental agency, and push for Milwaukee....or maybe I'll start driving in a different direction.
    Wish me luck! Feel free to post some sights to see or places to eat or whatever. I'll try to post some pix and details as best I can.

2. patmac6075

patmac6075 Active Member

Here is the steed on the eve of departure (don't mind the extra grab bar on the seat....just trying to figure out a way to get any "extra" parts down to Jose).

BTW, a very heartfelt thank you to those who've given advice and encouragement along the way....in a very big way, this trip could not have happened without you!

[​IMG]

3. bmarzka

bmarzka Active Member

And you're going to use the money to buy another XJ?;)

4. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

whew had me wondering for a minute maybe strap it to the sissy bar

5. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

:)

6. patmac6075

patmac6075 Active Member

Ha ha! I'm actually using the money to recommission my Yamaha XVZ1200 Venture Royale....if a Seca comes available for the right price I might pull the trigger, but right now I'm on the lookout for a Yamaha RD 350....so far they are pretty tough to come by. Either they've been "cafe'd" or people are asking too much.

ecologito likes this.
  7. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

Prices for a decent RD350 have been going up for years. Best to buy now rather than wait.
    Enjoy the ride, and get out of the heat before you think that you need to.

8. bmarzka

bmarzka Active Member

When I was in high school, my friend had a '74. It was pretty quick from light to light. I loved the sound of that two-stroke zing.

9. jayrodoh

jayrodoh YimYam Premium Member

Safe travels and have fun!

10. ecologito

ecologito Well-Known Member

What size seca are you looking for, I have a 650 and a 550 on my driveway waiting to be worked on :)

Jetfixer likes this.
  11. ecologito

ecologito Well-Known Member

And here it is, safe from the snow :) image.jpeg

LeClairerog likes this.
  12. tabaka45

tabaka45 Well-Known Member

Hope you have a GPS. Happy trails!

13. patmac6075

patmac6075 Active Member

Back home in Wisconsin!

Ok, so I had issues with my iPad...for whatever reason I couldn't post anything while I was on the road.

So I left Monday morning around 10a and had a pretty uneventful ride through WI, IL, IN, and OH in 90+ degree heat, making my first destination in Cincinnati OH at about 7:30p...just in time for some Skyline chili! I found it difficult to ride for more than 100 miles at a time (could have easily gone further as I was averaging 38-40mpg)...the XJ is not made for long distance travel....ear plugs were essential and I would suggest them, they really cut down on the fatigue!
    I got up early Tuesday morning and made a beeline for Charlotte NC, I must admit the scenery was exponentially better riding through the mountains of WV, VA, and NC....I didn't technically hit any rain, but I rode through many areas where it either had just rained or the rain was 5 minutes behind me....My biggest issue was arriving in Charlotte just as rush hour was starting...my original plan was to meet Ecologito (Pepe) at his work around 3:30....I didn't make my destination until nearly 7:00p! Pepe and I had a quick introduction...went over the particulars on the bike, I have to admit my brains were pretty scrambled after making that 1100mi "bomber run" in two days....I'm really not sure exactly what I told Pepe....mostly I think I was mumblin'-bumblin'-stumblin' through whatever I could remember... he was a very gracious host and promptly brought me to the rent-a-car location, at which point I got in the car and headed towards Maine (Someplace I'd always wanted to go) for some lobster! I did some site seeing and decided to take the securitas route home...avoiding highways as best I could...finally arriving in Milwaukee around midnight.

It was a fun ride and I'm glad I did it, but I wouldn't suggest it to anyone else because these bikes just were not designed for that type of riding.

I met a great member, saw some terrific sites, and eat some really good local foods.

Now I have to figure out where to ride on the Venture!

ecologito likes this.
  14. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

Skyline? Bleh.
    Gold Star is the sufff.

I will also disagree about taking an XJ on a long trip (the factory seat isn't very good though).
    But then, that's why there are so many choices in the world. Nothing is perfect for everyone :)

Last edited: Jun 25, 2016
  15. painter

painter Active Member

I also disagree with the XJ for trips. I did one from east tn. to Colorado, 4400 miles round trip. I was a happy biker! I put memory foam in the seat, highway pegs and leaning back on your packs. made it a great trip. I would do more trips if my wife was not in such bad health. You have to make the bike fit you. I know a guy that has a new BMW bike that said the stock seat was the most piece of garbage he ever road on. You got to customize the bikes....

16. Stumplifter

Stumplifter Well-Known Member

I agree with ear plugs for long trips.

k-moe likes this.
  17. bmarzka

bmarzka Active Member

patmac, did you take Rt. 5 or 20 through PA? Or did you cross further down state?