1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

A little bit of this and that, mostly YOUR help. :)

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Yousef, Jul 5, 2016.

1. Yousef

Yousef New Member

Hi guys,

Im the proud owner of a XJ 550 Seca from 82, a european model, Im from Denmark. :)

I have a few questions I hope You can help me with.

1. Is it possible to convert the rear brake from drum to disc, if so how ?
    2. If any of You have converted the front forks to usd, is it then a direct fit, from wich model. If not, whats the mod, to make it fit ?
    3. Is it possible to tune up the engine, how ?
    4. Has anyone wired up a Motogadget M-Unit ?

If this post is totally of charts, please send me in the right direction.

Thank You - Have a nice ride. :)

Last edited: Jul 5, 2016
  2. Jetfixer

Jetfixer Well-Known Member

Greeting , to convert you would need to find a bike set up with disk as donor would be easiest way, One thing as to "tuning" check and adjust valve clearance, you will possibly need to resynch carbs. ( you may need to take carbs to church of clean..go to xj4ever on upper rt corner of page he sells all the parts you need as well as his links are great :)) Check plugs /gap . These are a few thoughts...more to follow ...

Yousef likes this.
  3. Yousef

Yousef New Member

Hi Jetfixer - Thx for the advice, will check xj4ever. :)

Do you have any suggestion for, witch bike could be a good donor. I guess its more or less the swingarm, and tubing i need ?

Should maby have mentioned, that I already have changed the oil, oilfilter and plugs - But afterwards, I have thought of using iridium plugs(if they come for this model), not the most important thing right now. ;)

Looking forward for more cool advice. :)

4. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

Stick with normal plugs. The spark plug is a tuning component in the TCI ignition system. Fancy spark plugs don't improve things, and can sometimes make the engine run worse.

Yousef and TheCrazyGnat like this.
  5. Jetfixer

Jetfixer Well-Known Member

An 86 to 87 Yamaha Radian is a good donor swap the forks and triple tree over...it has dual disk so you will need the master cylinder as well. As to switching to rear disk and swing arm ...WHY? I you put the dual disk on it will improve braking. Just thought of something a Radian wheel is shorter others have swapped to this set up search threads on it. Not sure if these bike made it to europe or not...what is your budget$$$$ ??? Agree with kmoe stock Ngk plugs ...all the way. Good luck

Yousef and TheCrazyGnat like this.
  6. TheCrazyGnat

TheCrazyGnat Well-Known Member

Another +1 for ngk plugs, in my (albeit limited) experience, they just preform better.

7. Yousef

Yousef New Member

Thx for all the inputs - My budget is not the biggest issue, its my first real(I would say serious) build, so the budget will be set after, what Im aiming for. Not to sound arrogant or nothing, its just that I love the XJ 550, the bike has a sentimental value for me, because my cousin owned one, sadly he died by suicide in 2001. We had a close bond, but I have never got the chance to tribute him, witch I would very much like to do with this bike, now I have the chance. He was the type, who had many crazy ideas like a build like this. I remember he told me once, that it would look cool with rear disc brakes on his 550. That was back in 1999, cant even imagine what a challenging job it would have been back then, well thats why Im asking, and want to make this change.

So Im sticking with the NGK plugs, that good to have in mind, so this I wont even bother changing.
    Will check if the Radian i available in DK or maby DE, SE or the UK, it would be strange if there isnt a EU model of the radian we will see. If not, would it be possible to put on a R6 front from a 01 ? Can get one for free for this build through a local salvage yard(he normally only get cars in).

8. Big swede

Big swede Active Member

You won't find that Radian thing in SE, think it's an american model. R6 front end, probably not a direct swap but it can be made to fit it's just a matter of money and effort....

Yousef likes this.
  9. MattiThundrrr

MattiThundrrr Not a guru

"the budget will be set after"
    I like the way you think. Find out how much it costed, and then decide that was the amount you wanted to spend!

Jetfixer likes this.
  10. k-moe

There is a thread (maybe two) here about how to do a R6 front end swap. There are also other front end swap threads, as well as a thread on building a Hossack-type fork.

Jetfixer likes this.
  11. Yousef

Yousef New Member

Thats also, why Im asking here. Im in a research fase. But still the cost is the least right now.

12. JPaganel

JPaganel Well-Known Member

Either get a different wheel and swingarm, or machine and weld.

Either way, you will spend time and money for very little practical effect. XJ rear brakes are perfectly adequate, and front brake is 80% of your braking anyway.

Someone has, I've seen pictures.

Converting forks is easiest when you have steering stems close in dimensions. There are also bearing kits to adapt different diameter stems.

Same way you tune up any carbureted engine - clean and synch carburetors, adjust valves, replace/clean filters, change oil.

I'm not sure we have that in the States. What is it?

He is asking about USD forks. That's "upside down".

His 550 is Euro-spec, so it already has dual disks and Radian forks will not make any difference.

Yousef likes this.
  13. Yousef

Yousef New Member

@JPaganel, and all others - Thank You for Your great answers, so far.

I have tried putting up link for converting forks from other bikes, and the M-Unit, but without any luck - Got a spam warning. Now I have sent a message to admin. :/

Allright, so about the rear conversion, from drum to disc brake, actually wont be that great an idea, unless I find another swingarm or do a bigger mod job.

My conclusion for now is then, that I will concentrate of what I have now. The M-Unit, and the USD fork from the R6. If there is time I will pick that one up in the weekend at the salvage yard.

14. k-moe

I think there is someone who did an m-unit install. Do a google search with site:xjbikes.com after your keywords.

15. TheCrazyGnat

TheCrazyGnat Well-Known Member

The m-Unit is an electronic device aimed at cleaning up the electronics and also functions as a fuse block.

Yousef, there is a restriction on posting links until you have made at least 5 (I think) posts. You should be able to post them now.

Yousef likes this.
  16. Yousef

Yousef New Member

17. Yousef

Yousef New Member

Worked like a charm - Thank You. :)

18. Yousef

Yousef New Member

The M-Unit, and purpose, I think, is a must, with especially older bikes like the ones most of us inhere have. :)

19. k-moe

I see the M-unit as an option, not a must (there are disadvantages to processor-controlled power management, just as there are with traditional fused systems). IIRC to use one on an XJ requires a fair amount of rewiring since it has a common positive feed to all branch circuits.

Yousef likes this.
  20. Yousef

Yousef New Member

Found out, that I either can use a swing arm from a GS750 or a XS500 if I want rear disc brakes. Ofcause with some modification.

First fase of the build is to change a few things I think, so that I can ride this summer. Will change the seat and modify the rear, to make the seat fit, and install the m-unit.

Will take some photos, through the process of installing the m-unit, and modified rear. :)