1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

A little bit of this and that, mostly YOUR help. :)

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Yousef, Jul 5, 2016.

1. JPaganel

JPaganel Well-Known Member

That looks fancy. Can't think of a single reason why I'd need it.

No, really. If I was building a totally custom bike and was creating a wiring harness from scratch, I might use one. If I had an extra $300 to toss at it. As it is, I think it's inviting more trouble than it will fix.

$15 for a new fusebox and $5 for a box of fuses will take care of your electrical gremlins. Relays do go bad on occasion, but can be replaced by $5 standard relays with a lot less work. It's not often you have to replace them, either. Out of the last half-dozen bikes I worked on only one needed a new relay. A fusebox install I can swing in under 45 minutes. This thing would take a few days.

k-moe likes this.
  2. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

I'm beginning to understand how my father felt when points ignition became "obsolete" and he was listening to me go on-and-on about the advantages of electronic ignition.
    Funny thing; I have a few engines that use points ignition, and love them for having it.

DrewUth, Jetfixer and TheCrazyGnat like this.
  3. JPaganel

JPaganel Well-Known Member

I have no special love for points.
    No special hate, either.

Neither points nor electronic ignitions have ever given me trouble enough to get soured on the entire concept.

I'm fine with electronics - I have delved into the innards of TCI boxes and replaced components. I think electronic ignitions are more useful - no adjustment needed, they just work.

I do kind of hate carburetors. Especially setting floats.

Yousef likes this.
  4. Rooster53

Rooster53 Well-Known Member Premium Member

5. DrewUth

DrewUth Active Member

I have a few older outboards that I maintain. I prefer the units from the 60s with points over the "newer" late 70s and up motors with the CDI ignitions. Reason being, when a magneto/points ignition comes out of adjustment or needs service, it is a slow decent into non-function- one cylinder may start to foul plugs, or misfire at high RPM, etc. Very, VERY rarely does it just quit out of the blue. Conversely, when one of the CDI boxes fails (and they DO) you go from happily motoring to panicked paddling. And let me tell you, I'll take pushing a bike over paddling a stranded boat any day! Oftentimes, simple is better.

Jetfixer and Big swede like this.
  6. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

I carry a spare TCI whenever I'm more than an hour from home.

DrewUth likes this.
  7. Reed7742

Reed7742 Member

I swapped my front end to a GSXR750. It was fairly straight forward. The stem dimensions are almost identical. All that was really needed were new cables, and a set of bearings (2) from allballsracing.com. They are night and day better than the stock XJ forks.

Yousef likes this.
  8. Yousef

Yousef New Member

Wich Year - Have found one from a 1992 GSXR1100, havent picked it up yet though. :)

9. Reed7742

Reed7742 Member

I think it's from a 2005 750. It's new enough that it doesn't have a speed sensor in the front, but they stem dimensions hadn't changed yet.