1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Vetter Jackpots, Restoration and Upgrading Projects Ongoing

Discussion in 'XJ Modifications' started by Metal_Bob, Jul 4, 2010.

1. thecamelman79

thecamelman79 Member

Bob - after you installed your radio did you have any issues with radio noise? I have an inline filter installed already and the stock yamaha caps are resiter style any ways but I still have alot of engine noise coming through the speakers...

2. Metal_Bob

Metal_Bob Active Member

There was some type of inline filter inside the shell so I used it.

As far as I know I have stock caps/wires. I didn't notice any excessive noise.

3. Metal_Bob

Metal_Bob Active Member

Re: Vetter Jackpots, Restoration and Upgrading Projects Ongo

I'm still (impatiently) waiting for my tank, fairing and luggage to be painted gloss black. Then I get to travel 3.5 hours 1 way to pick it up. At least it is getting painted at cost by a relative. :)

In the mean time I found this vintage jacket and just finished paying for it on eBay.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

It may not be a daily jacket, but it was cheap enough and I liked it. Hopefully it fits. If not my "diet" needs to be started :oops:

- - - - - -

:idea: I'm going to try to repaint my original vetter, yamaha and maxim badges. If they don't turn out, I'm going to order some stick on letters. Below are regular and italic samples I found.

:idea: I'm still considering rear LED turn signals and LED bulbs in my fairing. Additionally I'm pondering some additional LED rear running/signal lights probably mounted on the saddle bags and/or the trunk.

:idea: Additionally to complete my LED madness, I'd love to buy the Truck-Lite LED 7" headlight and the Denali LED Lighting kit to mount on my front fender (replacing the semi-custom ones I made).

:idea: My pin stripping tape pattern won't really be finalized until I complete the installation. But this image is very close to my current plans. I MIGHT paint my fenders black as well.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. Metal_Bob

Metal_Bob Active Member

WOOT WOOT... I just won a NOS (so they claim) pair of Vetter Hippo Hands.

http://craigvetter.com/pages/Motorcycle ... -page.html
    [​IMG]

The last pair I saw on eBay were definitely used and sold for a bit more than I just bought mine for. 8)

Hopefully I can use these early spring, late fall and during the December charity ride in Chicago. (My current gloves were not enough to keep hands warm in winter).

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. Metal_Bob

Metal_Bob Active Member

The project moves on slowly.

Cycle Sound System: Although you can barely hear the max volume speakers while riding 60MPH on a windy day, it was not enough for me. The CHEAP speakers that came with my radio distort very bad even at low volumes. So I bought some Polk Audio DB401 Speakers and a Pyle 4channel cheap amplifier (might be a mistake spending so little). They have not shipped yet, but I hope to have them installed within a few days of them arriving.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Eventually, I plan on installing a rear pair of speakers into my hard saddle bags facing towards the front. This is why I got the 4 channel amp. (My radio is 2 channel but I have a plan 8) ).

Fairing: Brother-in-Law had some issues painting it, so I don't have it yet. I installed a backup instead. :cry: At least it is black. :wink:

I'm not sure yet if I'm going to buy "Windjammer" decals directly from craigvetter.com or be creative/original.

Luggage Pieces: Painted a nice gloss black. Not a perfect job but good enough from 5 feet. 8) I have installed all the REFLECTIVE pinstripe tape to the luggage panels. I like the overall look.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Then I wire wheeled the soft aluminum door trims I took off. I removed the chipped paint from 2 of 3 I managed to paint last fall. The finished look very close to the metallic paint I had on it. This is good because the non-aluminum Texas Trim is/will be painted to match. NOTE TO SELF AND OTHERS: Be sure to put the saddle door retaining strap back on at the same time as the trim. NOT after risking your paint job partially pounding off the door trims. :evil:

FYI: The rubber T-Channel weather strip pieces are rather difficult to reinstall. So take you time and/or leave them in place if your door trims are in good condition.

Today I clean and removed the remaining chrome finish from the Vetter logo pieces. Painted them with white Krylon paint for plastic. After that I used some "reflective" paint. It's not the best and doesn't really reflect much, but the finished effect is similar to the white pinstripe tape. After that, I wet sanded the plastic pieces to remove the white paint on the VETTER letters and logo exposing the black plastic. Later I will clear coat them to protect the paint and bare plastic.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Final assembly can't be done until all the logo, trim and bracket pieces are painted and dry/hard. Otherwise I'll be repainting them AGAIN next spring. :oops:

6. zap2504

zap2504 Member

MB - insulation (foam or fiberglass) is often used in high fidelity speaker enclosures (especially sealed design) to reduce mid-upper frequency echos within the speaker enclosure. Given that this is a motorcycle fairing, I'd guess that it doesn't matter either way if you include them or not given all the other sounds present. What you might run into is sympathetic vibrations - especially if you go to a more powerful amp and speakers. Sections of the fairing will start buzzing in sympathy with certain audio frequencies at higher volume levels (think huge subwoofers in Jap car trunks at a stop light). There are sound deadening self-adhesive asphalt sheets sold for car interior panels (doors, kick panels, etc.) that you could use if the issue crops up.

7. Metal_Bob

Metal_Bob Active Member

New speakers installed.

I started a new thread to get tips on improving sound and reducing distortion.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. Metal_Bob

Metal_Bob Active Member

04/26/11 - Luggage Finally Reinstalled and out of my Livingroom

My luggage panels are pinstripe taped, have door trim and gaskets reinstalled, side panels reinstalled with VETTER badges and I added some foam gasket around the door openings to help keep the water out.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Upcoming:

I intent to paint the above speaker grills gloss black. Also need to install an amp and eventually some rear speakers into the saddlebags.
    If they are in fact identical, I will be swapping out "straighter" saddlebag frames, along with a different luggage rack/backrest assembly (not VETTER).
    When I eventually get my painted fairing, I'll install the pinstripes, new edging trim, painted headlight ring and eventually install it.

FEEDBACK Wanted:
    I have this trunk rack on my "parts" bike's trunk. What do other's think of me putting it onto my VETTER trunk? I do have a few weekend rides planned this year. The rack may come in handy. Might also make a nice helmet holder. FYI I'd repaint it to match my luggage's trim and not have to worry about old chrome.
    [​IMG]

9. Metal_Bob

Metal_Bob Active Member

Cycle Sound radio shell semi-perm installed till I swap out fairings.

I repainted the speaker grilles a gloss black. Eventually I will Satin topcoat them so they look more like the fairing and radio shell.

Shell was stuffed with memory foam to help reduce vibrations and to hopefully improve speaker sound a little.

Then I drilled 2 holes thru the shell into the fairing to further reduce vibration and add a little theft deterrent/hindrance.

Amp installed and adjusted so I don't blow out the speakers. Currently it is turned up to about 65%.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

- - - - - -

Next project: Swap out luggage racks and remount my trunk. (2nd rack also has adjustable backrest). I also want to redo the wire plugs on the trunk (with brake/tail lights) and the saddle bags (with turn signals). At the same time I'll be adding LED front and rear turn signals with a new LED flasher unit.

The rear LED signals are DOT approved and the front ones are 68 LED 1157 Bulbs that will be inside the fairings LEL (Leading Edge Lights) so you'll never know they are not DOT approved.

10. Planehue

Planehue Member

Hi Bob. From the pics I have seen you have done a great job on the fairing and bags. I picked up a Vetter fairing a few weeks ago so was going over all your posts and pics. I saw the bracket you made. Very nice. I noticed you were going to put some dimensions of the fairing "bracket" on and I have not been able to find them. Am I looking in the wrong place.
    Thanks.

Hugh

11. Metal_Bob

Metal_Bob Active Member

Never taken back off. Will soon to put on painted fairing

I also have some season 2 pics and info to put up.

12. CaptainMidnight85

CaptainMidnight85 Member

I collect Vetter gear myself.
    Keep an eye out for riding boots on eBay.
    [​IMG]

You'll love the Hippo Hands. Mine are the lace-up style.

[​IMG]

I've got a few jackets as well, with a matching pair of the Rex Martese Design ones.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

All of the riding gear came out after he sold his company, but no matter to me. It's still Craig Vetters name on it. You'll find some Vetter wireless intercoms as well if you keep looking over at eBay.

I like the WJ III's. I've a Vindicator also.
    Bravo to you.

13. Metal_Bob

Metal_Bob Active Member

Another update finally. I've started installing my painted, pinstriped and decaled Windjammer IV fairing. Time is limited between waking up and going to work (2nd shift) so I hope to have it done by Friday.

Click for larger versions:
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Those who might have followed my pinstripping brainstorming thread might wonder why I didn't put the "swoop" on the fairing at the top of the triangle. Once you see the lowers installed (with their pinstripes), I think it will look better and more consistent.

14. Metal_Bob

Metal_Bob Active Member

I've recently won a Black XL (should fit not that I'd ride with it) full face helmet with a white and red design on it.

I also won a "Bagman" 18L tank bag, which I believe at one time was manufactured by Craig's brother. (If not it from the same era).

I missed my chance to ride to OHIO and meet Craig Vetter (vacation with wife the same week), but perhaps he'll do his mileage challenge again semi-close to me.

15. Metal_Bob

Metal_Bob Active Member

I FINALLY got around to finishing the install of my repainted and pinstriped Windjammer IV fairing, Lowers, Windshield accent piece and NOS windshield.

(CLICK for larger versions)
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Things still planned:
    * Sand/Paint fairing's Leading Edge Lights (turn signal assemblies).
    * Eventually paint headlight bucket (not the lock-on ring)
    * Replace Trunk and Saddlebag Vetter emblems with reflective decals that look nearly identical
    * Take one of those emblems and replace the current rear of the trunk emblem.
    * Clean, seal, install and decal my repainted gas tank.
    * I may add more side marker LEDs - not necessarily a Vetter project unless I install them onto the Vetter pieces/brackets
    * Repaint the Texas Trim on all the luggage that has chipped or gotten scratched over the last year

Some Night Shots showing the reflective pinstripping and decals:
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    (The orange looking strip is red in real life).

16. Metal_Bob

Metal_Bob Active Member

Today my newest ebay package arrived.
    I won a set of 6 matching keyed locks for my vetter set.
    I paid more than I wanted but less than my Max bid.
    Four total keys. (Looked at is as a long term investment for my paint and piece of mind vs struggling with 3 different keys).

With a little cleaning and graphite lube and the locks should be good to go!

Once I swap out my bike's keys as well I'll only NEED 2 keys to ride and load up. :)

17. 44Dave

44Dave Member

So it looks like you took off the trunk backrest and added an adjustable backrest. Why did you do that and how did you attach it to the bracket?

18. Metal_Bob

Metal_Bob Active Member

Why 1 - I got the backrest with my parts bike and thought I'd want a back rest. It was not comfortable for me but perfect for passenger.

Why 2 - moved part way forward, backrest is perfect to hold one helmet (parked) and or jacket & a sissy bar backpack.

Had to remove trunk backrest to occomidate passenger.

How - mounted to bike bolt points (adjustable universal vintage backrest and rear deck). Then used ubolts and tubing as needed to mount to vetter stuff.

Note: I still don't have a piece for the TRUE floating trunk assembly but it all worked out.

New pic requests will have to wait for now...

19. 44Dave

44Dave Member

I wish I could find one of those.

20. ecologito

ecologito Well-Known Member

I maanged to pop the rivets off the vetter saddlebags does anybody know what kind of rivets are the original ones? I have only measured them as 1/8 inch diameter about 1/2 inch long.