1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

An Introduction: New Rider

Discussion in 'Hangout Lounge' started by Dadoseven, Mar 13, 2017.

1. Dadoseven

Dadoseven Active Member

Hello All!

It is time I introduce myself. I've been lurking about here for too long, reading and absorbing the wealth of information offered.

I'm new to bikes, achieved my motorcycle endorsement last spring through the MSF. I didn't have a ride or a ton of money at the time, so I picked up a running XJ750R SECA with the full Touring dress last fall with only 7600 miles. It's been sitting for quite some time, so it does need some work. Getting something to work on was in part my goal, in addition to having something to ride at some point. I must say, after visiting this forum trying to obtain information on the XJ's of the era, the information and the atmosphere of this place played a major part in my final decision.

The carbs have been cleaned to working order, the driveshaft fluid has been changed, new battery, oil / filter / air filter changed and a general cleanup.

Currently it has no front working brakes; little to no fluid in the lines. Removed the master-cylinder and took apart where I found evidence of the presence of water.

I've already contacted Chacal and have a MC rebuild kit along with new SS brake lines on the way. Next on my long list of activities to get this thing rideable are: rebuilding brake calipers; replacing pads, rear shoes; seat cover; and tires; at least the front looks to be original and the rear is not far behind; amongst many other things. I'm sure I will find more as I dig in.

Enough for now; let's look at some pics. (Everyone loves pictures!)

Stumplifter likes this.
  2. hogfiddles

hogfiddles XJ-Wizard, Host-Central NY Carb Clinic Moderator Premium Member

Welcome :)

Dadoseven likes this.
  3. Dadoseven

Dadoseven Active Member

IMG_1442.JPG IMG_1387.JPG More images: work in progress

Well, having a little difficulty posting images. My post is declared too spam-like. Here are a few more anyway.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2017
    Michael Garland and Stumplifter like this.
  4. MattiThundrrr

MattiThundrrr Not a guru

It is all about the number of times you've posted: new members need to get a few under their belt before images and links are allowed. We've had problems in the past with spam and adbots.

Dadoseven likes this.
  5. MattiThundrrr

MattiThundrrr Not a guru

Good looking bike other than the seat cover. It's a wrinkly as an old pair of... shoes?;)
    Once you get past spam filter, I'd like more pictures of the tour pack and fairing, if you can! Anything that makes the square dash panel look better is of interest to me.

6. Dadoseven

Dadoseven Active Member

Thanks!

Yeah, the original seat cover is disintegrated. It was just covered with some sort of loose plastic fabric, almost like landscape fabric?, by the PO.
    Missing the seat cushion for the backrest on the trunk as well.
    She had been sitting out in the elements for quite some time. What you can't see is the total fading of the paint on the top of the tank and the fender from exposure.
    Deciding whether to get a pre-fab after market cover, have a new cover fabricated by an upholsterer, or try to pick up a new seat in better condition.

7. MattiThundrrr

MattiThundrrr Not a guru

Yeah, I noticed the paint fade on the tank in the video. Saw it after I posted. Aside from that though, everything looks pretty good. Remember, paint n chrome don't get you home!

Stumplifter likes this.
  8. cgutz

cgutz Well-Known Member

Yeah, but good paint and shiny chrome looks good by the side of the road when your bike quits from lack of investing in the things that really need to get done to make it safe and reliable....

Toomanybikes and Stumplifter like this.
  9. quebecois59

quebecois59 Well-Known Member

Is it just me or the front forks aren't at the usual angle (to much towards the engine)?

10. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

They look correct to me.

11. Dadoseven

Dadoseven Active Member

It could be that in the first picture while the bike is on the trailer, the straps were tightened down making it pulled forward and lower than normal. Maybe this is what you're seeing?

12. quebecois59

quebecois59 Well-Known Member

No, it seems to me that the flat parts of the handlebars up there don't align with the fork tubes down there.

13. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

The bar covers make it look that way, particularly the left one that isn't bolted together all the way.
    The bars are also rotated a bit forward/up from where they would usually be.

14. Tim O

Tim O Active Member

Welcome Dado... thought I had a good find at 9900 miles but you had me beat! That is EXACTLY my bike minus the fairing... also just got my license in the fall.

Your going to love that bike once it's running well... mine already feels stable and bullet proof to me. Great learner bike....

Dadoseven likes this.
  15. dowski68

dowski68 Well-Known Member

welcome aboard the crazy train my friend- as you will see there are quite a bit of comedians here so be prepared.
    That being said the reality is that everyone for the most part is here to help others during their projects. Safety being the priority though- a mechanically sound bike is by far is the most coveted.
    Once you get there you can do the pretty up.
    In regards to the forks it seems tome that the fairing is distorting the actual angle of the forks.
    Could get unless you have a angle gauge even a cheap one will tell you if the rake (angle) is correct.

Stumplifter likes this.
  16. Dadoseven

Dadoseven Active Member

Thanks everyone for the welcomes! I assure you all, safety and mechanically sound is my first prority. I don't really care what it looks like at this point. I intend to stay close to original specs, unless there are obvious reliability or mechanical advantages; such as changing out the fuse box. Any spiffing or cleaning I have done was merely to pass the time waiting for extra $ to purchase parts, getting to know her, or determining exactly what I need to approach first.

Received my brake lines and MC rebuild kit from Chacal. Hope to get these done this weekend. See, I DID read the Information Overload Hour, several times. Well, maybe not the enitire thing several times, but several times through most of it, picking up on something new each time. I will probably go through it several more times.

I will be taking my time with this. I have a goal of riding by this summer to be aided by the fantastic advice and experience from you all here.

Stumplifter likes this.
  17. Dadoseven

Dadoseven Active Member

Here is an update on progress:

Master cylinder rebuilt, new brake lines installed. System bled; we have pressure! The brake handle is now nice and firm... Yes!

Brake calipers now lock up front wheel.
    :(
    Don't know why I just didn't rebuild them at the same time.

Calipers are off and all components cleaned up and polished. Very little corrosion on cylinders but a little buildup. Seals actually look to be in good shape and pliable, but I have them apart so new cylinder seals are coming anyway. Touched up the calipers with black Caliper paint since they were off already. They didn't look too bad, but a few areas the paint was coming off from spilled brake fluid, I imagine.

New tires on the way! Will replace the rear brake shoe when I take the wheels off to have tires installed. We are coming along. Each step gets me closer to riding. Next up; replace fork seals.

Stumplifter, kosel and Bmgalena like this.