1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Buying an XJ600/FJ600, what to look for...

Discussion in 'Hangout Lounge' started by seca550RK, Apr 29, 2017.

Tags:
  1. seca550RK

seca550RK Member

I'm looking at buying my second XJ to have some fun this summer while I'm working in Norway. I wanted to ask what to look for on these bikes. Are there any problems specific to the FJ600? I have seen the typical cracked carb boots and tight valves with my XJ550 Seca.

Also any thoughts on the bike? Anyone have any comment on the handling with the mono-shock?
    I know my Seca's suspension is pretty scary in the corners, so I'm hoping this is an improvement.
    I'm planning on taking the bike touring, two up, so I want it to be pretty predictable.
    I heard there isn't much to offer on an after market suspension but I can weld, and could fabricate a bracket if necessary.

Alright let me know what you think, I'm curious to hear what you other riders have to say to say about the bike!

This bike is an '84 with 45,000 km and has been sitting for two years. Before that it was running fine apparently.
    she sure is dusty:

2237002d-cadd-44c4-8d6a-7b91d5103915.jpg 4bb7b7dc-08b9-4eec-b69f-87987c72b194.jpg

2. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

If you have the original shocks on your 550, that would explain it being scary in the corners.

The FJ was an improvment is every way (though not drastically so), but it will still suffer from the same issues that any old bike has. Pay particular attention to the bearings and bushings on the Rear shock link. They do need to be serviced, and (like most things) hardly anyone ever does the required service.

3. seca550RK

seca550RK Member

Ok thanks, any tips on how to check that? I'm not sure what to look for there.

I'm planning on changing the suspension on the 550. It was my first bike and I had never ridden anything else so I didn't notice it. After traveling on a newer bike (2010) I realized the handling on the XJ wasn't so hot.

4. k-moe

If that's the comparison you're making, then you'll never find a classic bike that you like the handling of. There have been monumental advances in materials and engineering practices in the past 10 years, let alone the last 30.

Checking the shock linkage is the same as checking any other bearing. Load it, wiggle it, move it, see how smooth it is, and if it moves in a direction that it's not supposd to.

On your 550 it's a real good idea to check the swing arm bearings too. Worn swing arm bearings will make any bike feel like it has a hinge in the middle, and will also tend to cause tank slappers.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2017
    Simmy likes this.
  5. Kickaha

Kickaha Active Member Premium Member

The 550 has bushes not bearings although there is a kit available to change them to needle roller bearings if the bushes are worn

6. seca550RK

seca550RK Member

I have a soft spot for classic bikes. I'm not looking for modern handling just something that I feel comfortable driving. I know the 550 needs work, so
    I'm expecting the FJ600 to be fine better as long as the stock suspension isn't shot.
    I've been away from home so I haven't ridden the 550 in a year and a half. I plan on going over the whole suspension when
    I start riding it again. Like I said it was my first bike so I'm learning as I go.

7. k-moe

Fair enough. I'll resist my natural urge to be a pedant about what constitutes a bearing :)

Stumplifter likes this.
  8. Xjrider92117

Xjrider92117 Active Member

Tapered sterring bearings and from shock from "progressive" are a big upgrade for the 550's suspension.