1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

I’ll take an order of “CNYCC#10,” with a side of “The Adirondacks” to go please!

Discussion in 'Hangout Lounge' started by Nuch, Jun 21, 2017.

1. Nuch

Nuch Well-Known Member

It’s been a busy couple of weeks since I’ve been home from my trip upstate. This is really my first shot at some computer time since then.

With the trip over 6 hours to the “Near Utica” location (given coffee/restroom stops, eternal NYS road construction etc) and the fact that I was traveling by myself, like last year I trailered the XJ to the Carb Clinic. I set out just after 2 am.

01_on_trailer.jpg
    XJ Ready to go!

Once I got off Long Island, I headed north via route 87, then ultimately west on Route 20. Once daylight hit, I was met with some absolutely beautiful countryside. Endless miles of pin straight road flanked on both sides with open land and cow pastures.

02_countryside.jpg 03_silo.jpg

I arrived at Dave’s just after he got the coffee going. I rolled my 700 off the trailer and up the hill. She was met by her twin…

04_two_700s.jpg 05_two_700sb.jpg

Cslight1776 arrived shortly there after. It was good to see him again as he attended last lear’s clinic. I got the oil changed, swapped out all signal bulbs for newer (brighter) ones and Dave worked his magic on both the carb tune as well as doing a demo of the color tune.

Smeagl & CrazyGnat arrived around lunch time from PA. After Lunch, DanS showed up from Rochester. He was riding yet another XJ700. With flat black paint job and home made forward controls, it looked like something out of a Mad Max movie!

Ribo, wgul, smeagol21b and 2 others like this.
  2. Nuch

Nuch Well-Known Member

06_carb_tuning.jpg
    Here’s a shot of Dave tuning Dans 700.

After lunch Dave disappeared, but it wasn’t long after that, that we would hear the scream of his Seca 900rk. Between the trees out by the road, we saw Dave in a glorious blur do a “fly by” ala Tom Cruise in Top Gun!

07_700_and_rk900.jpg
    I couldn’t help but take advantage of the photo op… like it was mine. I offered to trade for my 700. Dave wasn’t amused.

08_grounds_pano.jpg
    Another shot of the grounds. DaveS, CrazyGnat and Smeagl can be seen under the tent. That’s CrazyGnat’s 750 on the right. It’s been in his family quite some time. It belonged to his grandfather I believe… Cool.

When all the wrenching was done, we went for a 34 mile ride. I mapped it using an app on the phone.

09_34mile_ride.jpg
    There were some pretty quick changes in elevation. At one point, I had the sensation you get on a roller coaster when you’re at the top and ready for that first big drop. Our elevation ranged between 1200 and 1800 feet above sea level and at one point, there was a 547 foot drop over a 2 mile straight line distance. Whoa!

It was a great day with some really great people. Dave was a gracious host as usual and I (yet again) learned a lot and enjoyed the time with all.

I stayed overnight nearby and the next day I headed northeast to Lake George. Their bike week (Americade) had just ended. As I rolled into town, all the bikers and motorhomes were pulling out. Word on the street was that many were headed directly to Bike Week in Laconia, NH. I found a place to stay, took the bike down off the trailer, washed the dead bugs from the visor and set out north along the lake.

10_lakegeorge_ride.jpg
    Here’s the route I took up to Ticonderoga and back…

Last edited: Jun 21, 2017
  3. Nuch

Nuch Well-Known Member

This was different riding than the day before. Route 9 along Lake George takes you through the woods. Here and there it rolls through small towns and there are breaks where you can stop and see the lake.

11_lakeside01.jpg
    12_lakeside02.jpg

I came across a general store in the one horse town of Hague. It was also seemingly the only gas station, eatery, post office stop and I think if you’re nice to the proprietor of the establishment, it could be a massage parlor.

13_generalstore01.jpg
    14_generalstore02.jpg
    I took advantage of the non ethanol gasoline! Can’t get that at home!

While stopped there a couple showed up on a Honda Bagger. The woman offered to take my picture with my phone and I offered the same… however, she declined as she explained… “We’re not exactly ‘away together’ and we don’t need any photographic evidence.” I think they were married… just not to each other.

Interestingly enough, she pointed out that the rear of the Honda was sporting a car tire and the front of the bike had a rear motorcycle tire. Not sure why, or what the benefits are, but hard corning has GOT to be interesting on that thing.

When I hit Ticonderoga, I headed back south. I stopped in Bolton Landing for something to eat. Just a tip… Don’t be hungry between 3 and 4:30 pm. Apparently all the eateries shut down for that hour and half to transition to the dinner menu.

15_cates.jpg
    Cate’s offered to make A WHOLE PIZZA for me(which I hear is pretty good!) but i declined as I couldn’t fit the doggie bag on the bike.

4. Nuch

Nuch Well-Known Member

I’ve been going to Lake George for over a decade. It has always been with the family and NEVER with the bike. I’ve always wanted to park my XJ in the motorcycle lot out front and have a beer, listen to the live music and look out over the lake.

16_duffys.jpg
    Mission accomplished.

After Duffy’s, I rolled back down the hill and parked the XJ for the evening. Another great day for the books. It wasn't over though as went back into town and hit some of the local watering holes!
    17_motel.jpg

18_poster.jpg
    At one place, I helped myself to a poster from a mens room door. Good beer there too!

In the morning, I headed home. I knew I was close as the traffic began to pile up. When I got home, I was pleasantly surprised to find that my most recent ebay purchase had arrived.

19_nos_sportrack.jpg
    NOS sport rack…NIB to be exact!

20_nos_sportrack2.jpg
    It didn’t come with the necessary brackets so luckily I just spent a day with Dave, the sultan of Unobtainium. He had the requisite brackets I was in need of and of course let them go ONLY because he had several extra to spare.

5. Nuch

Nuch Well-Known Member

21_nos_sportrack3.jpg
    Sweet!

Once again, a great weekend spent with some great people. Much thanks to Dave for hosting. The weather couldn’t have been better. I highly recommend CNYCC#11 next year. That is of course if Dave will have us. It really is something NOT to miss. Thanks Dave!

wgul, smeagol21b, ecologito and 4 others like this.
  6. TheCrazyGnat

TheCrazyGnat Well-Known Member

Awesome pics! It was great to meet you and that bike is looking sharp and extra functional with that rack on!

Love those small towns along the way and there sure can be some interesting people. Sounds like the darksider's choice in tires was about on par with his relationship skills...

smeagol21b and hogfiddles like this.
  7. Nuch

Nuch Well-Known Member

Hey Thanks! It really is more form than function... Really tiny, but I like the way it looks. Thanks to Dave for having those brackets. I envisioned having to make some myself, but it's not that simple... Along with the 90 degree bends for the mounting surfaces, they have a left/right pitch to them... kind of like the tail wings of an F18.

hogfiddles likes this.
  8. hogfiddles

hogfiddles XJ-Wizard, Host-Central NY Carb Clinic Moderator Premium Member

Nice! I"ll put a link to this forum in my CNYCC#10 forum

Dave

9. hogfiddles

Good thing you were only in North NEW YORK!!

Lightcs1776 likes this.
  10. TheCrazyGnat

TheCrazyGnat Well-Known Member

I think a rack like that would have kept me from needing the 1x4s if it could take the weight. Maybe I ought to look into one!

11. Nuch

Nuch Well-Known Member

Lol

12. hogfiddles

Yeah, was gonna say- some put a car tire on and it's called "going to the dark side". Supposedly a lot more mileage, but ya gotta learn the new handling characteristics. I've debated it for my vl1500, just haven't actually committed the heinous act yet---

13. ecologito

ecologito Well-Known Member

Man, I wish I lived a bit closer. Elever Hr. drive is a bit over the edge unless this became a two day event :)

14. hogfiddles

You can always throw a tent on the lawn.... come up fri, carb clinic Saturday, head back sunday-----

Lightcs1776, smeagol21b and ecologito like this.
  15. Nuch

Nuch Well-Known Member

The distance is a bit too far for me to ride there, but a trailer fixes that. I'd like to get a Seca at some point and I acquired a double trailer project (needs an axel), so I see myself pulling 2 XJ's to a future carb clinic. Even if the new bike is a basket case... One to fiddle with, one to ride!

Lightcs1776 likes this.
  16. wgul

wgul Active Member

Looking forward to this year’s clinic. I hope Dave will have it again. I just found out I can stay right on rt 90 all the way from MA to Utica ny
    Nice posts on the clinic Nuch. I hope Dave (hogfiddles) will have it again this year.

17. hogfiddles

Date has been set--
    CNYCC#11 is June 9, 2018

wgul and TheCrazyGnat like this.
  18. MattiThundrrr

MattiThundrrr Not a guru

He'll have to change his avatar info if he doesn't host it!
    "hogfiddles XJ-Wizard, Host-Central NY Carb Clinic"

19. Nuch

Nuch Well-Known Member

You may want to take Rte 20 West once you hit the Albany Area... Rte 20 is an absolutely beautiful ride through farm country. The actual location of the carb clinic is a bit south of Utica. Dave will give you the details.

Thank You. It really was a great time. I take the whole weekend for myself. This will be the third year. Dave and the Carb clinic was the catalyst. Carb Clinic Saturday, Lake George Sunday. As much as I'd like to get to Americade some day, it is nice to have pretty much the entire town to myself... rooms are cheap and it is as if the locals are finally exhaling because the circus just left town.

Plus the Americade t-shirts are all on sale!

I'll be there.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2018
  20. Nuch

Nuch Well-Known Member

And that's just a big PITA... So he'll just have to keep hosting. The weather was phenomenal last year... Lets hope for the same this year.