1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

"Rebadged" tools

Discussion in 'Hangout Lounge' started by cgutz, Jul 3, 2017.

1. cgutz

cgutz Well-Known Member

Bought a Masterforce socket extension at Menards.

Peeling back the label I was surprised to see the tag indicated it was Craftsman by Sears.

Is this a good reflection for Menards quality, or a bad reflection of Sears?

2017-07-03 12.15.49.jpg 2017-07-03 12.16.08.jpg

2. Stumplifter

Stumplifter Well-Known Member

Score!
    Made in the USA. And better (?) quality.

3. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

sears is closing many of its stores not suprising to see relbadged tools being sold, sears products for many years have been another brand with the sears logo and brand put on it

4. cgutz

cgutz Well-Known Member

Especially since my expectations for quality on this purchase weren't high. Now I want to go back and pick up a few more things....

Stumplifter likes this.
  5. XJ550H

I have never had a problem returning broken tools to sears store . walk in give them the tool and they hand you a new one with out any paperwork.

6. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

Not always anymore. Many of the Craftsman brand tools have been made in China for several years now, and are not always of a good quality.
    Stanley tools bought the Craftsman brand last year, so the relabeling may simply be an indication of Stanley selling off inventory of what they consider to be sub-par tools so they can jumpstart rebuilding the brand.

7. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

That depends on which store, and which tool. I've had some of the newer tools refused because of warranty changes. Many of my older Craftsman tools have no true equivalent in the store anymore.

8. cgutz

cgutz Well-Known Member

9. XJ550H

its a nice artical but I have 2 problems with the press release.
    1 they are sears discontinued items so when menards runs out what then if you need a new tool.
    2 you do not know it is craftsmen tools unless you peel the sticker, so how can they be testing how the craftsmen line is selling in menards if it is not sold as craftsmen.
    still a good tool

10. REUBEN

REUBEN Member

I've got a few Master Force sockets from Menards, decent quality for the price. I've not had really high expectations for Craftsman since all the non-commercial stuff went to china. My mater Force locking pliers SUCK.

11. Bigshankhank

Bigshankhank Active Member

I was wondering what changed to bring Craftsman tools to Ace Hardware a couple years ago. And now they sell Stihl tools which really makes me worry about how Stihl quality is going to hold up.
    I have a 400 some odd piece Craftsman mechanics set I bought back in the mid 90's and other than losing a few pieces, the ratchets still work great and nothing has ever broken (ok maybe a couple screw tips). So I am happy with it, but I bought 1/4" drive socket six years ago because I couldn't find my old one and it stripped its gears within a year. I took it back to a local store and rather than give me a replacement off the floor, they told me I had to mail it back to some warehouse and they would send me a replacement in a week or so. Luckily I found my old one again but won't buy their crap tools anymore. Them and Black & Decker have traded on their reputation for too long but they are selling garbage to fools who don't know better.

Stumplifter likes this.
  12. MattiThundrrr

MattiThundrrr Not a guru

That is how to make money nowadays. Have you been to Walmart lately?

13. Paul Howells

Paul Howells Active Member

A lot of places are selling things that just look like tools. My girlfriend had a set of screwdrivers she had bought from Walmart. When I tried to use them the tips just crumbled in the screw heads.

14. XJ550H

walmart quality walmart prices. I like to get my replacement tools from my local auto parts store lifetime waranty good prices.