1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Seca Turbo Fairing Repair - Advice Needed

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Reedolavoie, Mar 14, 2018.

1. Reedolavoie

Reedolavoie New Member

I recently purchased a 1982 Seca Turbo with 40K Km's on it for $600 (Canadian). The bike is close to complete (missing lower fairings, front turn signal, lockable fairing compartments). I plan to do a full restoration of the bike. I do not have any experience with restoring fairings however, and was hoping someone could provide me with some advice on how to proceed.

The upper left headlight fairing is in pretty rough shape, with a large crack running through it. I have attached two pictures of this.

First question: What material are the turbo fairings made from? From looking at the crack, my guess is fiberglass, but again I have no experience working with this material. I couldnt find an answer googling or in the repair manual.

Second question: Is it possible to repair, given the extent of the damage? I have seen videos online of people repairing smaller fiberglass damage (assuming it is fiberglass), but am not sure if it would be possible for something this damaged.

Third question: Would I be better off purchasing new fairings instead of trying to repair the one I already have?
    Used turbo fairings, such as those seen on ebay, tend to be a bit pricey. They are often in fairly rough condition as well, requiring repair.

I know lots of people are not big fans of the turbo's styling, but I love them. My goal for restoration is not to flip the bike but to keep it for personal use once its complete.

Attached Files:

2. Reedolavoie

Reedolavoie New Member

Here is a picture of the complete bike.

Attached Files:

3. Simmy

Simmy Well-Known Member

By your reference to CDN money and kilometers I assume you're in Canada.
    I'm currently modifying a Turbo to resemble the standard 650 Seca so I have most everything you might need.
    I don't like parting with stuff until my project is finished (you never know what is useful) but in this case the fairing stuff can go.
    I have the OEM seat in perfect condition also BTW. Windshield also pretty good.
    I'd prefer to sell everything as a lot. PM me if you're interested, perhaps you're close enough to see the parts 1st hand.

Most of the fairing pieces are fiberglass on these bikes, technology borrowed from Yamaha's marine division and is easily repaired, however my stuff has good paint and decals good to go.

Reedolavoie likes this.
  4. David Eden

David Eden New Member

The answer to is it fiber glass is yes and the answer is it repairable is also yes however you can find pretty much everything on eBay . I actually got my turbo in peices as well and the only thing missing on my bike was the headlight bezel so I made mine from scratch and i like it better than the oem one all fiber glass too . The fixes on your panels are not that difficult if you are a little familiar with mending or if you have some extra time to burn , its rewarding to save something than to replace for me and my bezel was really fun to make .I will post a pict of the bike so you can see the bezel .

Attached Files:

Reedolavoie likes this.
  5. ManBot13

ManBot13 Well-Known Member

Whoa! that's a wicked looking nose bezel!!! It's quite a bit longer than the original but I think I like it.

I agree that fiberglass repair can be used. Be mindful of crack growth, it might be useful to drill a small hole at the edge of the crack to relieve the stress before repairing it. Otherwise, it'll keep growing under the paint.

I'm all the way out in DC, but I've got an extra right and left fairing in much better shape. I'm trying to sell my Turbo and I repainted mine so I won't need the extra.

Reedolavoie likes this.
  6. joe elliff

joe elliff Active Member

What kind of carrier is that you have the bike on?

7. Reedolavoie

Reedolavoie New Member