1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

What did you do to your Yamaha today?

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Cutlass84, Jun 4, 2007.

1. dowski68

dowski68 Well-Known Member

Sounds like it is time for you to get out and ride yourself.

2. dowski68

Supposed to be like 80 degrees today. So I going for a long ride this afternoon. After I do some chores LOL.
    really looking forward to getting the front forks done shoud improve the handling! At least the feel safe for when I going around corners. Sometimes it feels as though the front tire is going to come off the ground when there are little bumps.
    Going to be nice to feel safe again or safer. I do ride within my means though.

3. dowski68

Nice picture of the bike and the sky. Your bike looks great. Oddly I live in Southern Oregon adn I have given it some thought and I haven't seen a bike like yours here at all. Matter of fact I have only seen one other xj700x one time in the last five years. One of the reasons I like my bike cause it is the only one I have seen lol

4. Tim O

Tim O Active Member

It's actually a 750 Seca

I'll have to look at a 700 if it comes around :)

5. fastenova

fastenova Member Premium Member

My sincere condolences... I can't even imagine losing my wife. Hope the healing comes easy, once it's time to do so. Until then, enjoy that bike of yours and do your best to keep your head up.

6. fastenova

fastenova Member Premium Member

Was able to get front and rear wheels removed and down to the corner tire shop and get some new rubber on the bike yesterday. Tires were VERY old (haven't ridden the bike much in 5 years). Also noticed when reinstalling that the rear brake was dragging a tiny bit so was able to adjust that properly. So looking forward to being able to put some miles in and break in the new rubber soon!

As I'm waiting for some more parts, I've been riding around town a bit to re-establish my comfort with riding, and it's going well so far, and giving me a chance to fix more little things wrong with the bike like my seized mirror locknuts. Got them apart and cleaned up the threads, and now they are smooth as butter.

7. dowski68

Seasonal maintance is a must yet once it is done everything works fine leading to a wonderful season of riding. Enjoy and be careful

8. wgul

wgul Active Member

Found a great deal on a virago 920 front wheel and tire. It’s a 110/90 but fits nicely on the xj 650 maxim. My old wheel was a bit warped. Pirelli too :)

9. Jetfixer

Jetfixer Well-Known Member

20180420_183400.jpg 20180420_183400.jpg 20180420_164632.jpg 20180420_183400.jpg 20180420_164632.jpg So it warmed up but not as much as I'd like so decided it was time to tear off front end and do the head bearings . Got a lot removed but lost interest for evening. In morning going to pull wheel and forks . While I was at it I bought 2 650 chrome air box trim pieces finally got around to trying to fit I don't think it looks to bad what do you think?

Stumplifter likes this.
  10. dowski68

Looks like you have done a great job and those chrome air boxes look great.

11. Jetfixer

Finished disassembling front end ....with forks off and handle bars oh boy talk about notchie taking a break got races in the freezer , bearings packed and painting the yolks . Examined old races did no see any gouges but balls although had grease on them slightly rusty . Will see if my slight shimmy goes away upgrading to xj4ever tapered roller bearings is a great upgrade

12. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

the bearing for the lower tree that slides over the post wants to be heated ,you can chill the post

13. Jetfixer

Got all the forks reassembled all the mechanical part back together...now for the headlight electrical to reassemble think I will do that tomorrow....almost had a disaster the lower race did not seat fully when I had steam in it missed the stop ...pulled it back off I had a 35mm socket with a shoulder on the end drive it into stem race bedded in fully put back together..success turns so smooth and no noise when you turn from stop to stop ...used to make a low sounding pop as you got to the stop. Now just want to see how it handles now.

dowski68 and chacal like this.
  14. wink1018

wink1018 Active Member

Who-hoooo!!

It was actually not snowing or raining today.

Took my maxim out fora 50 mile shakedown run.

Notes:

Slight adjustments needed on carbs. Seems a bit rich.

Forks are a bit soft. Might need to check fork oil height. Or go one weight level heavier.

Small exhaust leak at header pipe to pre- muffler pipes.

Other than the above, it ran really well.

Jetfixer likes this.
  15. dowski68

Received forks kits after only three days from CHACAL. X is going into the shop next week for the forks to be rebuilt-
    Again a shoot out to CHACAL right parts the first time!! and delivered quickly!!

16. Jetfixer

Just took bike out for a quick spin ...no more shimmy hit 55 and was smooth :) just got my steering dampner ...now have to figure out how it mounts:confused:

17. Chitwood

Chitwood Well-Known Member

Used table lift for the first time and had my 8 year old son help me take the clutch disks out to be replaced

Stumplifter likes this.
  18. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

when he learns to start the bike you will be seeing him going down the driveway;) he could be the youngest forum member:)

19. Ketchup

Ketchup Member

4/22/18
    Took the day to pick-up the Maxim’s sibling. Got to meet @Jim-in-Texas and shoot the breeze. Thank you again Jim.

Attached Files:

chacal, Plug and Jetfixer like this.
  20. Oldmansin

Oldmansin Member

Saturday I rode to a local car show and entered for best bike. I of course lost to a Harley that the owner obviously handed money and got keys in return as it was bone stock. One of the judges was wearing a t-shirt from the local Harley dealer. It was fun, and my kids enjoyed (except they vocally thought I should've won best bike lol), so all was good.

Attached Files:

Stumplifter, Jetfixer and dowski68 like this.