1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

New xj 650 turbo owner

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by greyhound, Apr 23, 2018.

1. greyhound

greyhound New Member

New to the forum and new to the Yamaha turbo. I've had it about 2 weeks and learning as I go. The bike runs ok but had no boost. The fairing is not very good so I am going to custom build the bike into a café/cruiser. I bought a book on the bike but I still have a lot of questions. I need my turbo replaced or rebuild. I've not been able to locate one and don't think I will. Is there any other turbo that can be modified to work. yamaha.jpg

JeffK likes this.
  2. chacal

chacal Moderator Moderator Supporting Vendor Premium Member

Welcome to world of boost! We do have rebuilt original turbo units available and in stock. Send us a note for all the information about it: info@xj4ever.com

3. ManBot13

ManBot13 Well-Known Member

Warning, Turbochargerss are rare and rebuilt ones aren't cheap. You should check the condition of your turbo, the bearings, the wastegate, and the boost sensor, as well as the entire fuel system (carbs, fuel pump, and pressure regulator). What symptoms are you getting that there's no boost?

For Turbo Rebuild, GPopShop has the kits and can do a rebuild, and are very helpful. I found that my Turbo was component balanced, rebuilt it myself and simply eye-balled the reassembly. Been running 8k miles without issue, but rebuilding your own turbo is not for the faint of heart. They can also rebuild and balance them: http://gpopshop.com/products-page/mitsubishi-rebuild-kits/

For Turbo carbs, and Turbo exhaust gaskets, it's hard to beat bdesigns: http://bdesigns.ca/Yamaha_Carb_Kits.htm . You'll want to replace all the gaskets that you disturb removing the turbo.

4. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

there is a turbo forum website out there someplace @xjyamaha would know where he is a turbo owner. not trying to chase you off

5. greyhound

greyhound New Member

My turbo will need rebuilt, I would try it myself but the compressor wheel will need to be replaced , so it will need to be balanced. Looks like someone dropped something in it. turbo.jpg

6. ManBot13

Oh that's not good. Chacal's rebuilt unit might be the best best.

7. xjyamaha

xjyamaha Member

8. Jetfixer

Jetfixer Well-Known Member

Keep it stock ...you will get more out of it if you sell it later on . Resist the temptation to take a saw s all to the frame loop.

9. ManBot13

I’ve got mine up for sale, mostly stock but it’s painted. No real interest. As much as we love our XJs, no one is chomping at the bit for a tastefully modified one...I say go nuts

10. JeffK

JeffK Well-Known Member

Nice looking bike GH....but as you noted, the compressor vanes are shot. If you come over to the Turbo board, there are a few who will help if you've got questions, but they will here too...Let me know if you need the Yamaha Turbo manual...I posted in online a few years back but shoot me a PM with your email and I'll send you a copy if you need it.

Can't go wrong with Gpop...the guys there will even talk to you on Sunday!

jeff

11. Tim O

Tim O Active Member

Dude.... I would so buy it if I hade the time, money, and garage space...

I wouldn't say no interest :)

12. MattiThundrrr

MattiThundrrr Not a guru

I think the turbo scares people off. Added complexity and expensive parts aren't everyone's cup of tea.

13. greyhound

greyhound New Member

Jeff , how do I PM and how do I get to the tubro board?

14. JeffK

JeffK Well-Known Member

15. JeffK

JeffK Well-Known Member

I think what Manbot is trying to say is that no matter what, these Turbos do not bring premium pricing and his bike is VERY nice! It is very much a niche bike, less than 1000 on the road worldwide but still not $$ following. A couple years ago, Paul up in New England had a nearly NOS Turbo....2,000 original miles. He BARELY got just over 2K for a PERFECT bike.

Nope, not selling mine because I won't get much for it...besides, who DOESN'T like the feeling of being shot out of a cannon!

jeff

Attached Files: