1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Air bubble in gas line.

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Ribo, May 21, 2018.

1. Ribo

Ribo Prefectionist

Austin Texas USA ( a long way from the UK )
    Hey guys,

So I recently swapped out the crappy piece of solid black line that the original owner had installed with a yellow clear fuel line and ever since I've noticed that there's an air bubble in it.

I can get rid of it by working it back into the tank but then it comes back after a few mins of running the bike. It doesn't seem to be affecting the bike but just wondered if it was normal and if not what to check?

2. Chitwood

Chitwood Well-Known Member

I have the same thing on my bike as well. Doesn't seem to affect it at all so I just leave it alone. As long as enough fuel is flowing through the line it shouldn't matter I would think

3. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

So long as the line is ran as straight to the carb inlet T as possible, you'll be fine. Also make sure that the inline filter you installed (hint, hint) is oriented correctly for proper flow.

4. Ribo

Ribo Prefectionist

Here you go...

IMG_9857 (1).jpg

You can see the bubble better from the other side

IMG_9858 (1).jpg

This was with the bike not running and like I said it doesn't seem to cause any issues, except I have started hearing a small backfire when I turn the bike off occasionally - not sure if it's related..

5. jayrodoh

jayrodoh YimYam Premium Member

Yup that is normal, that bend is the highest point and any air will rise there. Your filter is raising the line up there so the air cannot go anywhere else. I don't believe it'll cause issues as the gas will flow under/around the bubble.

Chacal has a nice 90 degree filter that fits right where the bend is on the left, will keep the fuel line level and the air bubble at the top of the filter. I'll see if I have a pic but it was broken in the accident.

6. jayrodoh

jayrodoh YimYam Premium Member

filter.png

7. fastenova

fastenova Member Premium Member

Agree with above; should cause no issues. I have the 90* filter and there is always some air trapped at the top of the filter, but you can see fuel flowing through it and in my mind that's all that matters.

8. Ribo

Ribo Prefectionist

Cool thanks for the re-asurance guys - glad it's nothing to worry about. I might look at the 90 degree filter at some point.