1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

XJ650 Bogging down then died

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Tonybluegoat, Mar 9, 2018.

1. Tonybluegoat

Tonybluegoat Member

Two tanks, two caps, two petcocks, two filters, same issue. Originally when the bike was really bogging down (to the point of dying) it was crud in the tank. I cleaned, etched and flushed the original tank and it cleared it up to the point where I am now. Then I replaced the tank. I did go back to the original petcock because the aftermarket one had the ports on the wrong sides (vac facing back, fuel facing forward). So technically if the screen itself is deteriorated then it's possible. But it looks fine to me. Next time the tank is almost dry I might look at replacing the original screen with the screen off the replacement petcock. I don't think it will fix it but it can't hurt. (Time to go drive my tank dry.)

Last edited: May 25, 2018
  2. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

Hmm... that sounds to me like the problem isn't with the petcock or the gas cap vent then, unless both of them need to be rebuilt (possible, and quite likely).

3. Tonybluegoat

Tonybluegoat Member

My best guess at this point is the combination of pods and jets are pulling 20% more fuel than "normal" so the petcock can't keep up when i ride like a maniac. So I'm going to put on a maniac petcock and see what that does.

4. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

Eliminate the guess, and save some money. Ride with the petcock set to prime. See what happens then.

Chitwood likes this.
  5. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

what kind of filter are you using? metal element or paper. paper has been known to cause issues

i would think the fuel flow of a 750 petcock would compensate for a podded 650 demand

Last edited: Apr 15, 2021