1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

What did you do to your Yamaha today?

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Cutlass84, Jun 4, 2007.

1. Jetfixer

Jetfixer Well-Known Member

So wife went to her mother's had day to myself :D Pulled exhaust and back wheel , polished lip and painted rim and repainted brake backing plate . Put new exhaust gaskets and reinstalled , reassembled rear wheel back brakes are so much better .

Attached Files:

dowski68 and cgutz like this.
  2. Craig B

Craig B Active Member

Installed a new AGM battery. Tired of replacing the old led acid batteries every two years.
    Fired her up and drove to work today.

Jetfixer and Chitwood like this.
  3. fastenova

fastenova Member Premium Member

Picked up cylinders and head from machine shop. Cylinders are bored out to .5mm over, honed, and checked for flatness (good). Head has freshly ground and lapped valve seats, new valve stem seals, and was checked for flatness (good). Now just need to check ring end gap, then when I find time I can reassemble and check valve clearances and adjust as needed. Hoping to find time this weekend but have a lot of other things going on... Then break it in and ride!

Oh, and the cost was $60 less than originally quoted, so that makes me very happy!

Franz, Jetfixer and Chitwood like this.
  4. fastenova

No post for two days!? I guess I'd better post again.

Last night I reinstalled cams on my head (not installed on bike) to check valve clearances, and VERY carefully rotated cams individually so as not to bend valves. Ordered 6 shims and one replacement locating dowel pin as the machine shop got it quite out of round when they removed for cleaning. I checked ring gap and they all look great. So, now I wait for parts... While Len is lightning quick, it's never quite fast enough! I wish that USPS had a 4-hour delivery option from Len to XJ-enthusiasts. Amazon Prime has spoiled me.

Also installed electronic flasher and LEDs for the turn signals, MUCH brighter which makes me feel better about being seen.

5. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

please post what type and brand flasher you used

6. Minimutly

Minimutly Well-Known Member

Finally got around to building up my xj600 rack, previously I had ultrasonic cleaned them and turned down the "flanges" to fit the 650 manifolds. Now I want to wet set the floats, fit the rack to tune basic settings. Fully expect to need to change main and idle jets, maybe even adjust the main jet height, or investigate adjusting needle height. I'm guessing either will need shimming.

7. fastenova

I got both the bulbs and the flasher unit from superbrightleds.com. I've been a customer of theirs for many years and always found their products to be of higher quality than Amazon or eBay cheap junk.

The flasher got zip tied onto the same place the OEM flasher holder goes over. The terminals were removed from their plastic housing and inserted directly in to the stock spade connectors - red to brown, black to brown/white.

LED bulbs are 1156-NW27-T
    Flasher is LF1-S-FLAT

Natural white bulbs are more yellow than stock incandescents, if you want the more orange look, go with the amber bulbs.

This is much brighter than OEM, which makes me think I will be a little more visible on the road.

XJ550H likes this.
  8. Plug

Plug Active Member

Got caught out in a severe thunderstorm 10 miles from home. Pea size hail, 60 mph wind and no place to stop.

9. Jetfixer

So I bought the hard bags a couple of months ago , raining and it is cold out went ahead and mounted them. I have to fabricate a bracket for the turn signals ran out of time so will have to finish sometime this week. I need to sand the bags down they have some scratches and they are red does not match the yellow on the bike , think I will paint them black .

Attached Files:

10. chacal

chacal Moderator Moderator Supporting Vendor Premium Member

I see a red door and I want to paint it black............

Nice wheels on the import.

11. Jetfixer

Finished fabricating turn signal bracket and mounting hard bags . Went for a nice ride bike ran fantastic ride over 50 miles the smell of cut grass and flowers were strong scents . Got a long straight country road opened throttle bike pulled so good . :D

12. XJ550H

rode mine to work this morning . on the way home I thought my hair was tickling ny nose, when i looked at my nose I had a Yellow Jacket sitting on my nose going for a ride with me.:eek:

Jetfixer likes this.
  13. Bluegray57

Bluegray57 Active Member

Took receipt of the Road rage engine guards and fuse box upgrade kit from XJ4Ever. Went through the documentation and verified all parts present and accounted for. Scheduled the work with the shop (me) for early next week. I did fondle the bike just a bit as well.

14. XJ550H

bike gotta pay the bill some how:rolleyes:

dowski68 and Bluegray57 like this.
  15. dowski68

dowski68 Well-Known Member

loaded bike up for trip to shop. Having front forks rebuilt.;)
    Insurance called and said I should have check by next week.
    Tomorrow going to get parts bike :D
    An 1985xj700x from california-missing rear shock and carbs should be a good deal hopefully

fastenova likes this.
  16. Jetfixer

Finally did it rode 390 miles bike ran great hit 85.for awhile . The starter clutch even cooperated , all was good till I had flashbacks to Wrath of Kahn moment i had my face shield up and a bug went into my ear ...thought of Checkov getting bug in his ear ...pulled over ripped helmet off for some type of critter . I think I slaughtered a large population of nats got so bad had to clean face shield several times . Was a great day another reason I love a shaft drive bike ...no lubing of chain and needing to adjust .I mounted hard bags and really dig them just need to repaint them .

Attached Files:

dowski68 and Tim O like this.
  17. fastenova

After a few weeks of having the bike apart, finally got it all reassembled and fired up. Despite not having tuned or synced the carbs, I took it for a short ride and HOLY fast... There was really something wrong before. I kept it under 50% throttle and 5500 RPM and it is way faster than I've ever experienced.

So excited to finish the break in process, colortune and sync, and get to ride a bit more aggressively to see this motor's full potential.

Thanks to everyone for all the great info, and @chacal for the quality parts and fantastic service! Going to be a good, long weekend...

Paul Howells, Jetfixer and chacal like this.
  18. dowski68

Went to get parts bike and half of it was missing :eek:.
    Still got the parts that I needed though, kinda disappointed however I not upset or anything.
    Now I just waiting for the forks to be done and on the road again. :D

19. dowski68

So this morning I took out the ne to me front fender and started to clean the surface rust of the underside and decided since I have a some time before I get my bike back I am going to repaint the fender. As the current color is blue I need to repaint to black.
    also have been thinking about changing the front levers to the adjustable type as I have somewhat short fingers and I find it hard to cover the front brake. Just thoughts I ponder while gazing upon my bike unless it is at the shop. ;)

20. Minimutly

Minimutly Well-Known Member

Got the hitachis for the seca 650 back together, drop test nicely, set the synch to the edge of the first hole. I didn't go full church, need something to do another day (actually I just need to get this one running to see if it's worth pursuing as a complete bike). Need to wet set them, then back on.