1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

How do I remove engine paint?

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by RusteeGold, May 15, 2018.

1. RusteeGold

RusteeGold Active Member

I bought a used engine for my Seca 750 and I want to strip the faded paint off the engine so that it is just aluminum. I tried paint remover... let it sit for 30 minutes... nothing happened. The paint is still on the engine. I hesitate to use a sanding agent (sand paper) because I'm afraid it will scratch the engine fins. I don't have a sand blaster and besides that seems rather extreme and I don't want to accidentally get sand inside the engine...

Any ideas on how to get the faded engine paint off?

Thanks,
    Rustee Gold

2. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

aircraft paint remover is the better paint remover very smelly use heavy rubber gloves. may take a few applications to remove it all

soda blasting is an option

TheCrazyGnat likes this.
  3. RusteeGold

RusteeGold Active Member

I see that some people use walnut shells to do "sand" blasting. Looks like you can get 25 pounds from harbor freight for 22 bucks. Has anybody had experience with the walnut shells?

4. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

your going to need a pretty good compressor to do that, shells will get everywhere, just like sand.
    i think 25 lbs is for a cabinet to recycle the stuff. i tried everything i could think of, then i painted it

5. DAGGAGH

DAGGAGH New Member

I have recently purchased an ultrasonic parts cleaner and chemicals for about $250

cleans off covers and yamaha black paint completly in about 15 mins with no damage to the aluminium

6. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

I'd be surprised if it removed the clear coat that was put on at the factory before the black trim paint was laid down.
    The whole of the engine was clear-coated to keep the aluminum from oxidizing to flat grey.

7. DAGGAGH

DAGGAGH New Member

cleans up all paint and grease although you do need to coat the alloy fairly quickly as it will start to oxidise (rust). Does allow you to polish the casings and reapply clearcoat

also using it on the carbs to clean em before the rebiuld and cleaned the calipers after 30 years of wear. Much better that bead or shot blasting

I might post of video of the headlight bucket being cleaned

k-moe likes this.
  8. k-moe

What solvent is being used?
    Is the tank big enough to dunk the head and other castings into?

9. DAGGAGH

DAGGAGH New Member

running a six litre model - should have bought 10 litre one coz wont quite fit head in one go but can do it half in half out

got the SS tank with built in heater off ebay

[​IMG]

chemicals are Kleentek’s ALLOY System is a two-part chemical application formulated to remove organic soils, and paint from either ferrous or non ferrous metals. It is not cheap at $300 for 5 litres x 2 bottles but you only need 1 part in 10

I am sure that the chems and cleaner are cheaper everywhere but in Australia and we use 240VOLT here so have to cautious which power plug and voltage etc

k-moe likes this.
  10. DAGGAGH

DAGGAGH New Member

some parts after 5 mins in tank

thats the clear coat coming off the alloy part

upload_2018-6-15_21-57-56.png

thats the yamaha black paint bubbled off

Attached Files:

11. k-moe

That looks perfect! I can't afford the cost given how few projects of that type I generally have, but I'm sure that others will be appreciative of the information.

12. cds1984

cds1984 Active Member

Had a look at the stuff, looks good except the little note at the bottom of the page http://kleentek.net.au/shop/ultrasonic-chemicals/alloy-system-stripper-decarboniser/
    <SNIP>
    Special Note:

The ALLOY System is generally safe to use on steel, cast iron, aluminium and zinc. But it is not safe to use on magnesium.
    </SNIP>
    I am no metallurgist but... I thought these case were aluminium/magnesium rich alloy. What could it possibly do to the magnesium portion of the alloy? or do they mean just magnesium by itself and not in an alloy? hmm looking for the msds, wouldn't mind buying some if the latter.

13. k-moe

From what I can figure out (with fairly mnimal research) the Disodium Metasilicate that is the key component of the ALLOSalt-L portion of that system is reactive with magnesium, and promotes corrosion of it.