1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Let's talk carb cleaning

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Tim morris, Jul 30, 2018.

1. Tim morris

Tim morris Active Member Premium Member

Okay I've gotten a lot of response in different opinions just from over the phone I figured I'd throw this out there as you well know our carburetors are precious and we all want the best results possible I've used carb cleaner in a can I've used spray carb cleaner I've soaked Harley carburetors in gallons of carb cleaner with good success but Here Comes technology and these new Sonic cleaners that heat and they are being praised by many I have a good friend that just spent $1, 000 on one the best one I can't replace my carbs and we've tried and we've seen different results on junk carburetors with different chemicals has anybody use them and if so what fluid do you prefer some say lemon juice some say Royal Purple cleaner other say glycol now keep in mind I know this machine will dissolve anything in it especially aluminum over. Of time so we're only talking a short moment of time that they will be in solution I'm just hesitant until I hear more about it so anybody have any input would be great to hear from you

2. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

i ran a few bodies through a harbor freight cheapo and rinsed them off with a garden hose, when they dried they were getting that white aluminum corrosion all over them. had to dip them in kerosine. i think brake cleaner, air , a stiff artist paint brush and a few q-tips is sufficient

Tim morris likes this.
  3. hogfiddles

hogfiddles XJ-Wizard, Host-Central NY Carb Clinic Moderator Premium Member

I have personally done the 'put the foil in the ultra-sonic cleaner and what the holes develop before your eyes' thing. I'm not about to put an aluminum carb body in my ultrasonic cleaner.......

SpearChucker and Tim morris like this.
  4. Tim morris

Yes I remember you saying that but has anyone tryed anything else for the solution or base in the cleaner on anything else like disposable parts or other kinds of parts I'm very interested in hearing about everybody's results on all types of stuff and with different stuff I've heard and seen things on YouTube that make glycol look like a very promising solution then I saw one where they used the purple cleaner looks very nice then one where Pine-Sol was used it look nice too but I don't know what really happened as they dried anyway I'm going to experiment with junk parts I'll keep you posted

5. Jetfixer

Jetfixer Well-Known Member

Personally I like Berrymans one gallon carb dip from autozone it contains a small basket to hold parts . Used it on several carbs with good results. Years ago not sure they still make them but denture cleaners used to be a vibrating tray type. I would stay away from pine sol , simple green soak to long and it might etch metal . There are some posts of members having issues with various chemicals .

Tim morris likes this.
  6. Tim morris

Yes I've used that also begin information to think advances in technology are not so good sometimes lol

7. Tim morris

What solution did you use???

8. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

use distilled water.
    when I made contact lenses we would use ultra sonic cleaners and kerosene to clean the lenses.
    you could try kerosene but do it outside or with proper ventelation

most of the cleaners that come with the ultra sonic cleaner are not for aluminim and say so on the package

use it to clean the jets and brackets

Tim morris likes this.
  9. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

? hard to tell, whatever was closest. maybe dish soap, maybe car wash soap. i've probably had everything in it that won't burn, including beer :)
    can't say one worked any better than the other. the temperature seems to make the biggest difference, hotter is better. now this is in a harbor freight cheapo, a real machine might be different.
    50/50 antifreeze overnight in a slow cooker frees up old r/c engines but that's dried up castor oil

Tim morris likes this.
  10. MattiThundrrr

MattiThundrrr Not a guru

Your kitchen must smell weird.

Tim morris likes this.
  11. kerriskandiesinc

kerriskandiesinc Active Member

I've successfully.....in the distant past used pure leaded 5 star,( hi octane) not sure what todays ethanol blends would achieve, but that still took a couple of gallons, time and a stiff toothbrush.......plus I couldn't smell anything for a week afterwards.....

Tim morris likes this.
  12. Maxim-X

Maxim-X Well-Known Member

...or a great smelling garage. I love the smell of (cooking) Glycol in the morning!
    [​IMG]

MattiThundrrr and Tim morris like this.
  13. Chitwood

Chitwood Well-Known Member

I've heard of using jewelry cleaning solution in ultra sonic cleaners. Never done myself but it's been claimed to work well without harming anything.

Tim morris likes this.
  14. Tim morris

Lol

15. Tim morris

Lmao

16. SQLGuy

SQLGuy Well-Known Member

I used the Berryman's bucket cleaner in an older Harbor Freight ultrasonic for the Mikunis off my '89 Virago. I seem to recall a lot of rinsing needed afterwards, but the carbs have been good since the cleaning and overhaul.

Tim morris likes this.