1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Xj400 special 1983

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Angelos, Aug 16, 2018.

1. Angelos

Angelos New Member

Hello, does anyone knows about the carburators of the xj400 special?? Im thinking of ordering diaphrams from jbm industries and i want to know if the bs34 carbs are 70mm or 73mm (position of diaphram).
    Thanks.

2. Colin 85 700

Colin 85 700 Active Member

Pull one cap off and measure the diaphragm, easiest way, only 4 screws. :)

3. Angelos

Angelos New Member

Thank's i know
    I will not save my self the trouble of removing the carbs . i ll take this opp
    And also clean the carbs..

4. chacal

chacal Moderator Moderator Supporting Vendor Premium Member

The BS34 carbs (those a BIG carbs for a 400cc engine!) had different size vac pistons and thus diaphrams, you'll need to measure the OD of the recess in the carb body where the outer edge of the diaphragm fits:

HCP17539 Aftermarket Mikuni BS33/34 series carbs VACUUM PISTON DIAPHRAM ONLY, fits all 1984-85 FJ600, all water-cooled XJ700-X and XJ750-X models, and all XS1100 which have a 70mm OD seal groove in the carb body. This is the rubber diaphram only, please see the NOTE below in regards to the installation and use of this product. Each:

HCP17540 Aftermarket Mikuni BS34, BS35, and BS36 series carbs VACUUM PISTON DIAPHRAM ONLY, fits all XJ900RK, RL, F, N, and FN models, XJ1100, and some XS1100 models which have a 73mm OD seal groove in the carb body. This is the rubber diaphram only, please see the NOTE below in regards to the installation and use of this product. NOTE: XS1100 owners must measure the seal groove in the carb body (the outer diameter of the recessed groove that the diaphragm fits into) to confirm whether it is 70mm, 73mm, or 77mm O.D……..it could have been either size. Each:

HCP17546 Aftermarket Mikuni BS34, BS35, and BS36 series carbs VACUUM PISTON DIAPHRAM ONLY, fits some XS1100 models which have a 77mm OD seal groove in the carb body. This is the rubber diaphram only, please see the NOTE below in regards to the installation and use of this product. NOTE: XS1100 owners must measure the seal groove in the carb body (the outer diameter of the recessed groove that the diaphragm fits into) to confirm whether it is 70mm, 73mm, or 77mm O.D……..it could have been either size. Each:

5. Colin 85 700

Colin 85 700 Active Member

^^^^^^ I love how specific item descriptions etc are, including dimensions.... :)