1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

What did you do to your Yamaha today?

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Cutlass84, Jun 4, 2007.

1. Colin 85 700

Colin 85 700 Active Member

Started it and drove it, burnt nearly a whole tank of gas with no destination.... Cruised some country roads... Nice day :)

Jetfixer likes this.
  2. Colin 85 700

So I just pulled out two valve cover bolts to check the donuts, they are in good shape and still soft. I'm ordering the new gasket though, I hate the oil getting all over my engine. :)

3. Chitwood

Chitwood Well-Known Member

My advice, if you're bothering to do the gasket, do the donuts at the same time. They may still be soft but not tall enough to put adequate pressure on the gasket to seal it. I have heard some says that they have fixed a leaking valve cover gasket by just replacing the donuts but I strongly recommend doing both, I did, could not be happier. No leaks whatsoever

4. Colin 85 700

I'm on a bit of a budget, and I've had good luck re using similar before so I'm gonna take the chance for the moment

5. Chitwood

Chitwood Well-Known Member

Can definitely understand that.

6. Paul Howells

Paul Howells Active Member

Relocated my signal lights and fitted some saddle bags. I think it worked out pretty well.
    IMG_20180818_192707.jpg IMG_20180818_192717.jpg

Franz, Plug, Jetfixer and 1 other person like this.
  7. Adam Jeschke

Adam Jeschke New Member

Yesterday I replaced the universal joint in the output shaft, and stopped the knocking that the previous owner had some how caused. The old universal joint was so far out of round that you couldn't get the driveshaft to catch the splines anymore. It was ugly, but now it's done!

Afterwards, I went after the electrical system to see why all my lights turn on, but they don't flash. I'm replacing the flasher relay, but not really sure that's the problem yet. I also used Klean on the gas tank.

Today, I'm headed to Ace True Value's spring section to see if I can get a spring to replace the missing one from my side stand. I'll also be running Blast through the tank today, hopefully the gorilla tape will stick to the petcock this time... Or maybe I should just plug the holes with something a bit more substantial.

Anyone have a clean picture of an 82 Seca 650 sidestand in the lowered position and stowed position??

8. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

Yamaha XJ 900f Another Picture.jpg Found another picture. Sorted neutral light today.

Jetfixer likes this.
  9. SpearChucker

SpearChucker Active Member

I love that paint scheme. Still trying to decide if I’m redoing mine original or going off the grid. Either way I’ll still have the original body.

10. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

Cheers SpearChucker. My bike was originally Black and Gold but I like it the way it is now too. This is an older picture so I have to add the stripes to the fairing (as the one in the picture has been renovated) and fit the replacement tank once I derust it and probably seal it. The paint scheme above was one of the original ones Yamaha offered customers as you will know.

SpearChucker likes this.
  11. SpearChucker

SpearChucker Active Member

That scheme is definitely in the running for my bike.

Franz likes this.
  12. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

I like the 1100 Maxim, nice bike. I tried a friends Yamaha XS 750 custom I am sure it was thirty years ago and another friend had the standard XS 1100 but I think the Maxim looks better. Great torque in those engines.

13. Paul Howells

Paul Howells Active Member

Thanks. The more I ride it, the more I love it. It has so much power that it feels less powerful than my xj700 because it accelerates so effortlessly. Doesn't corner nearly as well though.

Franz likes this.
  14. Minimutly

Minimutly Well-Known Member

In trying to fit an 8 inch headlight to my maxim (see seperate thread), I went to try the maxim tacho cable on the seca(both 650s). Suprise suprise, the clocks had nowhere for the cable to go - there was one on the seca engine, but it was hanging free -now I know why.
    So are these clocks off a 750 then?

15. dowski68

dowski68 Well-Known Member

yesterday had the rear tire changed at 74,343 miles. Bridgestone battle axe tire and this will be the second one. I have really good luck and I really like the way it handles around corners compared to the previous tire Shinko. Shinko are good for mileage as the Battle Axe not so much LOL yet better for cornering.
    Give and Take- Anyway just keeping in touch with my fellow riders. :)

16. Minimutly

Minimutly Well-Known Member

Painted the maxim headlight bracket with 2 pack epoxy, had some left over gloss black so rubbed the shell down and did that today - i had expected it to go off overnight, but we'll see what it looks like on the shell.

17. cgutz

cgutz Well-Known Member

Spent an hour trying to troubleshoot a dragging back wheel bearing....only to remember I adjusted the chain tension last week and forgot to loosen the rear brake...which of course was dragging...I turn 60 tomorrow, so that is my excuse!

I also installed the new rubber grommets to hold my side covers in place, so these rare things won't be lost. Thanks XJ4evr for the parts!

18. Jetfixer

Jetfixer Well-Known Member

On Sunday member XJ750DB came over put a colortune on his carbs . His bike is bitchn , he sent me pictures of his plugs 3 are still lean . Was pretty cool having them next to each other.

Attached Files:

19. XJ750DB

XJ750DB Member

Hey thanks again for taking a look at my bike. I was able to get 300 miles under my belt in 1 day. From Chicago to Indiana to Michigan and back. What a day.

Attached Files:

Jetfixer, SpearChucker and chacal like this.
  20. Tim O

Tim O Active Member

Tried to pool all my plug caps and make a good set.

Gave up and ordered new splices, cables, caps