1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

New member from Upstate NY

Discussion in 'Hangout Lounge' started by Null, Sep 8, 2018.

1. Null

Null New Member

So I came upon this site in my research and figured I should probably join.

A few years ago, a friend gave me an 81 XJ550 Seca that had some running issues. I decided it might make a fun project. My primary street bike is an 84 Honda V65 Sabre that I've done some pretty significant work on in the 6 years I've had it (and surgery on it planned for this winter, but that's another story), and I just recently rebuilt an 81 Suzuki RM125 from the ground up, so I'm not afraid to get my hands dirty.

The XJ550 had been sitting in my garage for the last few years until I got the opportunity to get to it, which was just recently. I finished the carb rebuild this week and got it started, though I still need to sync and adjust them, and I just got started on the valves. The original fairing and front fender were long gone and it had an aftermarket windshield on it that I wasn't crazy about, so that's gone now too.

I know this might be considered blasphemy to some, but since I have a good street bike already, it might be fun to turn this into a sort of dirt scrambler for off-road trails. Once I get the engine done and running smoothly, then I'll get started on the rest of it. The project may take a few years with everything else I've got going on, but I've got an idea of how I want to get there eventually.

I'm in the Albany, NY area, and it looks like there may be at least a few other riders in the area from what I've seen on here so far.

This forum has been a help already with the work I've done, so thanks! This feels like a similar community to the one I'm on for my Sabre.

2. rocs82650

rocs82650 Well-Known Member

Welcome aboard.

Gary H.