1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Choke and high RPM's at start

Discussion in 'XJ DIY How-To Instructions' started by PJC750, Sep 21, 2018.

1. PJC750

PJC750 Member

Hi Guys,
    Been a away for a while, hope everyone's tinkering is resulting in lots of Ride Time(RT). I have 2 questions:

1) My wife asked me "what is my goal" for this XJ750, how should I respond?

2)(BTW.. I dumped the vac petcock, so all 4 boot nipples are capped, and the boots are new.) When I close the choke and start the bike it cranks right over, goes to 2k. But then 10 seconds later revs quickly up to 4500 and will stay there...so I quickly adjust (open) choke slightly(hair) until bike idles at 2k...
    I sit there for a minute, then ride off. After 5-10 min of light riding I open choke fully, so the throttle does all the work. Is this caused by something sticking....a slide maybe?

3) Anyone got a ride side panel?

Thanks in advance.
    Patrick

2. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

that is how the choke works. it dumps enough fuel in the carbs to start the bike . as the bike warms up the rpm increases due to the fuel from pilot jets and enrichment circuit (choke).
    some placee between 2k and 3 k the main jets start to add fuel.

a fyi if your throttle cable breaks you can use the choke as a throttle to limp to safety or home.

3. PJC750

PJC750 Member

Thanks for the limp home advice, I did not know that!

With regard to choke ....I close the choke so it starts and just warms up at 2k ... but it should not rev to 4500,but sounds like that's ok and at that time open the choke.
    So next time I will let the bike idle at 2k , but when it runs up to 4500, turn off the choke completely...apply throttle and drive off. Methinks the bike will stall when I open the choke fully.

4. XJ550H

terms first
    lever slide to right engages enrichment (open) circuit this gets bike running and will as bike warms up go high in rpms 4500rpm is normal

lever pushed to right disengages enrichment circuit (closed)

the enrichment/choke circuit does not move a plate to close and open in the carb throat . what the lever does is lift the enrichment plungers and lets fuel flow from bowl

an open (lifted) plunger flows fuel to start bike . a closed (depressed) plunger cuts off fuel.

as rpm rise you slowly push the lever right to regulate the rpm

5. XJ550H

pilot jet runs bike to the set idle of 1050 rpm spec. the enrichment /choke allows more fuel than pilot jet supplies there for the rpms will climb above the set idle rpm when the bike warms up the main jets start working around 3000 rpm , which means the slides start to lift the main jet needle up out of the jet

TALKIN' TECH: Various thoughts on various issues

" The pilot fuel circuit is active from idle up to about 2500-3500 rpms, and at about 3000 rpms the main fuel circuit starts becoming involved, and by 4000+ rpms the main fuel ....."

6. PJC750

PJC750 Member