1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Help! Can't get the engine plug out!

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Joshua Olkowski, Sep 29, 2018.

1. Joshua Olkowski

Joshua Olkowski Member

Please look at the pics. I thought this thing would pop right out. I used one of those reverse drill bits specifically designed to get screws out but this thing just wasn't budging. I just kept turning and the thing wouldn't budge until I eventually put this huge hole in there. What the hell do I do now????

Attached Files:

2. Jetfixer

Jetfixer Well-Known Member

Oh you should not have done that, as in your second picture or is snapped off.

3. Joshua Olkowski

Joshua Olkowski Member

That doesn't help

fiveofakind likes this.
  4. rocs82650

rocs82650 Well-Known Member

You may need to get a hold of a hack saw blade. Grind or flat file the non-cutting edge so it will fit in the hole. Relief cut the plug in four equally spaced places without cutting to the threads then use needle nose pliers to gingerly message the plug loose. I'd also add a little bit of heat. Someone else might suggest something else.

Gary H.

5. Joshua Olkowski

Joshua Olkowski Member

Thanks Gary. I don't even know how it came to this. The thing is completely frozen in there and I feel like I made it worse. I feel like I just turned this entire bike into a parts bike.

6. Chitwood

Chitwood Well-Known Member

It will be a little bit of a trick to remove, but you can get that out and have it fixed up. Take a breath, grab some tools, and go to it. I am curious why you were taking that particular plug out?

k-moe likes this.
  7. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

Oh my. Those plugs aren't normally supposed to be removed. They just block the ends of the main oil gallery after machining has been completed.

If I was doing the job I'd start with a good penetrating oil. Let it soak for a few days, then apply heat and an EZ-Out, using due care to not break the EZ-Out off.
    If that didn't work I'd drill to the minimum thread diameter, and pick out the remainder of the threads. Chacal has replacement plugs and the o-rong that seals it.

8. fiveofakind

fiveofakind Well-Known Member

Joshua,

I am not trying to be a jerk here, but what was your thinking on trying to remove this plug.....for what purpose......

Did someone mention this plug....or did you think it was a oil drain plug ?

Just curious......

Also, just relax......we are here to help.......a lot of knowledge here by a lot of smart individuals

9. fiveofakind

fiveofakind Well-Known Member

Least you have a sense of humor

10. Joshua Olkowski

Joshua Olkowski Member

Oil was leaking out of that plug. The head of it was actually broken in the first place when I bought it from the original owner. After every ride you'd see a few drips of oil coming out of that plug so naturally I figured I replace it. I have the part. I didn't think this was going to be the nightmare it became.

11. Joshua Olkowski

Joshua Olkowski Member

Would hammering and chiseling be a good direction? The metal is actually very weak and comes apart in chunks.

12. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

I would not. The engine case could crack.

13. Joshua Olkowski

Joshua Olkowski Member

gotcha

14. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

This is how I got out of a similar situation but beware Joshua you do not have much metal there and you do not want to crack the crankcase or ruin the threads for the new plug. The machine I was using this on had more metal but I cut slots as shown in the diagram with a pad saw and bent a piece of steel at 90 degrees and used that in the resulting slot to remove the plug. Only use this as a last resort. As I said it works but it depends how much metal there is to cut the slot. You do not want to cut too deep either in case you damage the threads in the crankcase.

Diagram.jpg Right Angled Bar.jpg Pad Saw.jpg

15. Joshua Olkowski

Joshua Olkowski Member

I actually tried something very similar but unfortunately the metal on the plug is just breaking off like chalk. It's like the outer plug itself is frozen onto the crankcase. So, after a couple of attempts more of the plug is out but the outer part is still connected. It's actually worse and I'm too embarrassed to show pics of what I've done. It looks like a gaping wound. I'm in a real mess. Thank you for sharing your idea. Just curious, if I do damage the threads would it be fairly easy to buy a tap and just re-thread it?

16. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

I am not an engineer Joshua but I am sure someone will be able to advise you regarding re tapping the thread. I have never tapped a thread before so I will leave the answer to one of the other guys on the forum. We can help you get the remainer of the plug out but we have a better chance if we can see the latest pictures.

17. Joshua Olkowski

Joshua Olkowski Member

Here is what it looks like now. I'm very embarrassed so please give helpful comments only. Thanks

Attached Files:

18. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

I think your best chance Joshua is to get an extractor because if you can get the right size it will grip the side of the remaining part of the plug and allow you to turn it anti clockwise.

Anti Clockwise Extractor.JPG

19. chacal

chacal Moderator Moderator Supporting Vendor Premium Member

This is probably the best idea, you just want to make really sure that you don't cut into the threads of the crankcase.

20. Joshua Olkowski

Joshua Olkowski Member

This is exactly what I used in the first place hence the hole. I just kept turning and turning but the plug was frozen. As a result of continuing to turn, bits and pieces of the plug started to crack and fall off which is the result of what you see now.