1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

What is it with the Brits?

Discussion in 'Hangout Lounge' started by JPaganel, Oct 9, 2018.

1. JPaganel

JPaganel Well-Known Member

In the past week or so, I've had two arguments with people in UK over oil.

They were, for some reason, firmly convinced that UK market bikes somehow had different oil recommendation than the rest of the world. Even posting a screenshot of a manual didn't convince them. They just say "oh, it's a US manual, UK is different". Never mind that neither one could produce that mythical UK manual that would say something different.

That just makes no sense. Oil specs are temperature dependent. For example, 20w50 above 15C, and 20w40 when below. 15C is 15C anywhere, even when it's in Fahrenheit.

2. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

Yes oil specifications are temperature dependent and I would agree with you that UK market bikes do not have different oil especially as an XJ imported into the UK will have the same journal bearing clearances of other XJ's anywhere else in the world. What is even more contentious is what kind of oil motorcyclists should use, car oil versus motorcycle specific oils, friction modifiers, wet clutch slippage etc. Here is an interesting article I found in Motor Cycle News which people may want to read.

Bike oil rip off?

Published: 10 August 2008

I often wonder why bike oil is more expensive than car oil?

We as bikers often pay a premium for our oil in comparison with car oil. What is the difference between synthetic bike oil & synthetic car oil? If you walk into any bike dealers & ask for a type of oil that they would recomend, they will always point you to the oil they have in stock (what a coincidence).

The fact is, sticking a photo of a bike on an oil container puts the price up by sometimes 40%. Bike dealers will often tell you that because your bike revs higher, then you need a special oil & therefore you will have to pay a higher premium.

In the 90's a study was conducted in the USA regarding the different properties of car oil versus bike oil & guess what, there was found to be very little if any difference, the one huge difference was the price you paid for the bike sticker on your oil container.

Here is the study link

http://www.nightrider.com/biketech/oiltest1.htm

3. Simmy

Simmy Well-Known Member

I switched back to car oil years ago.
    Never had an issue related to oil.

4. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

I used to use Castrol GTX in my Honda CB 750K2 Simmy when I got it in the late 1970's. There were no synthetics and semi synthetics here in the UK at that time as far as I am aware. I would be really interested to hear from all the members of the forum on this issue. Which oil do you use? How many years approximately have you used car oil in your bikes? Surely the most important consideration for the longevity of engines is not only the right grade of oil but frequent oil and filter changes. I am considering using car oil again.

5. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

All that matters are the certifications. Brands and marketing is just brands and marketing.
    Myths are just myths.
    People that believe the myths are just best let alone. Arguing won't fix ignorance.

Oil thread in my signature.

Franz and Jetfixer like this.
  6. JPaganel

I use diesel oil.

The sticker says it meets JASO MA and MA2 certification, and it works just fine. About half the price of bike oil.

7. Jetfixer

Jetfixer Well-Known Member

I used valvoline 10w40 car oil in my 84 Kawaski 550LTD with no issues

Franz likes this.
  8. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

i use Mobil Delvac 1300. two reasons, it works in the wifes kia, all my bikes and all the mowers.
    second reason, i like the spout on the jug

k-moe, Franz and Chitwood like this.
  9. 50gary

50gary Active Member

What is "simmy"
    Cheers, 50gary

10. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

Ok Gary.

11. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

Simmy is one of the members of this forum Gary. I should have stated that earlier.

12. a100man

a100man Well-Known Member

Tsk - and I though t it was just the yanks that got fussed up over JASO and all that malarky;)

Stumplifter, Jetfixer and JPaganel like this.
  13. JPaganel

Vast majority of bikes recommend 20W40 or 20W50 oil. 20 is recommended over 10 because the oil also lubricates the transmission gears.

Car oils that don't have JASO MA/MA2 certification have friction modifiers, which can make wet clutches slip. Car oils in 20W40 or 20W50 are also close to nonexistent.

Diesel oils are commonly available in 20W40. Diesel oils also often have the JASO cert. Shell Rotella definitely does. And diesel oils are half the price of motorcycle-specific oils.

Whether oils is synthetic has some bearing on longevity - you can get away with fewer oil changes with synthetics. It has no bearing on how "slippery" the oil is. A synthetic 20W50 works the same as standard 20W50.

a100man likes this.
  14. Chitwood

Chitwood Well-Known Member

The difference in any synthetic oil regardless of weight is that all the molecules are the same size as opposed to conventional oils which the molecules are all different sizes.

15. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

Castor oil works well and tastes best. ;)

Jetfixer likes this.
  16. Jetfixer

Jetfixer Well-Known Member

Cleans you out too lol

17. SpearChucker

SpearChucker Active Member

But it has that distinctive aroma when it heats up!

18. Dave in Ireland

Dave in Ireland Well-Known Member

Nothing to do with them being Brits, but more to do with them being assholes. I've never encountered anyone who said that bikes sold in the UK market used different oil to the rest of the world.
    Fwiw, I've been happily using car oil for decades in all my bikes and only paid attention to the viscosity. Given I changed the oil every 2K, price was an important factor, and I'd keep my eyes open for specials and deals on good oils being discounted.
    I don't have enough miles racked up on the XJ to give any authoritative response about its oily habits, but I can say with some degree of certainty that GS engines don't care too much, as long as it's changed regularly. In fact, the engine will let you know, because bang on the 2K mile mark you will feel the gearchange become a little bit less slick, and it's time to change the oil. That holds true for synthetic too, much to my surprise - I was expecting to get more out of synth. I take the view that if I can feel the difference through the gearchange, the oil isn't doing what it should in the crank too.

Jetfixer and XJ550H like this.