1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

1985 XJ700 Bobber build

Discussion in 'XJ Modifications' started by Stagger, Oct 13, 2018.

1. Stagger

Stagger New Member

I bought a 85 XJ700 at an auto auction at a local towing company. It was wrecked so I decided to build a bobber out of it seeing as the handlebars, gas tank, and fenders were screwed. So far I have chopped the front and rear fenders, replaced the handlebars and grips, cut off the crappy make shift exhaust that someone put on it, put on lowering shocks, and taken apart the wiring harness. Now I have to start on the wiring necessary for the bike to run. That seems to be a feat in and of its self. Thoughts, ideas and suggestions are always welcome. Nothing wrong with constructive criticism.

Attached Files:

2. Maxim-X

Maxim-X Well-Known Member

When you say wrecked is the title clear so it can be rebuilt. Hows the compression, is the motor solid and how well does it run? Have you tried to ride it and does wobble (bent frame). Are you aware that lowering these bikes too much can cause excessive wear on the drive shaft joint. There is a bare minimum wiring harness schematic on here some where, try a search for wiring diagrams. I honestly wouldn't do too much cosmetic stuff until the bike is at least up and running well.

3. Stagger

Stagger New Member

Title is clean, and it starts and runs good. Frame is straight, no broken welds or paint chip or wrinkles. Only dropped it an inch. And I have the bare minimum diagrams. It side swiped a truck on one side and was dropped on the other. I got it at an auction but I worked for the tow company that picked it up. I was at the accident scene and actually towed the truck that the bike hit. I was not able to ride it because of the bars and a peg was pretty much gone.

4. Maxim-X

Maxim-X Well-Known Member

Sounds like you got it covered Stagger, good luck with the build, will be watching.

Stagger likes this.